Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:06 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times

Advertisements

I’ve decided that next year, I want a beach vacation. I haven’t sat on a beach or swam in an ocean in over SIX years! So it’s time. However, before you start inundating me with your most desirable locations, let me just give you a few pointers

1) I’m a middle-aged singleton who wants to lie on the sand with half a dozen good books, bottle of suntan lotion and a cold drink whilst being able to take a dip and not worry about my belongings being ripped off.
2) I want to stay as far away from the spring-break crowd as is humanly possible. Are there beaches on Mars ?
3) I want a location where I can sit on the beach without being hassled.
4) I want a location where I can get dinner or a drink without being hassled.
5) Being on a singleton’s salary, I don’t want it to cost the earth.
6) I don’t care if the location is on mainland USA, one of the islands or even as far as Hawaii.
7) I would love to try somewhere like Molokai or Kauai but I’m not sure I can afford them unless you know different?
8) I don’t care about going off-season. I don’t care if it’s a beach cottage or self-catering (ie: it doesn't have to be some huge hotel).
9) I would prefer non-kid places but it’s not a deal breaker. (Hey, maybe I could rent a lighthouse for the week?)
10) If it’s a place with some good sightseeing and activities like horse riding that would be awesome.
11) I don’t have a beach bod so nudist beaches are TOTALLY out. (And why is it that people who really shouldn’t, always seem to gravitate to these kinds of places?)

Not too much to ask, right?

I expect I would never find a place that includes all of these criteria, but as many as possible would be fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
We stayed at the Turtle Bay Resort on the north shore of Oahu, Hawaii a few months ago. It was the off-season... hardly anybody was there! Especially earlier in the day we would often have the whole pool and some areas of the beach all to ourselves. I highly recommend that place. It was our first trip to Hawaii, and now we can't wait to go back. It's a little pricey, though. I don't know what your budget is... but the plane tickets were kinda pricey and the Resort itself was around $200/night. We loved it, though, because it has it's own little beach area and the North Shore is not touristy like the other places on Oahu. It's gorgeous and relaxing and quiet. We wanted to save money on food, so instead of eating at the restaraunts we went to the grocery store and stocked up on foods that we ate in our room or had picnics. There are microwaves and fridge's in the rooms and coffe makers. We ate out sometimes... The resort has several great places to eat right there. You can basically park your car and check-in at the resort and then not need see your car again until you're ready to drive back to the airport to go home a week later if that's what you want to do.

Hawaii Resorts: Turtle Bay Resort North Shore Oahu Hawaii HI Luxury Family Vacations Hotels Rooms Suites Golf Spas Packages Romantic Getaways Travel Weddings Meetings Events Horseback Riding Stables

We were really glad we stayed the heck away from Honolulu and the south shore and the other touristy areas on Oahu. It's kind of ugly and way crowded in those areas, though still fun to see if you've never been.

Another place I'd recommend that would cost way less is Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. But Turtle Bay was way more fun and relaxing. You come back with the Aloha spirit and it's just something you can't find anywhere else.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
If you decide on Massachusetts and the North Shore of the Boston area, Dr. Beach's #1 pick for MA is Crane Beach in Ipswich. I couldn't vouch for this as I have never been there. I have however, been to Cape Cod and you can't lose there. Especially Coast Guard Beach in Eastham, MA and Cahoon Hollow in Wellfleet, MA. the only drawback being that the parking is $15. Then there are an abundance of lovely beaches out on Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Menemsha Beach on Martha's Vinyard has the best sunsets in MA.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Are you looking for a cold beach or a hot beach? My first pick for relaxing on the coast is the Oregon Coast... but I thought you were wanting to get a tan...

Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
We spent many, many years in Colorado and I always missed the beach, so quite a few of our vacations revolved around finding the seashore.

We had a wonderful time in Hawaii. We visited Oahu, the Big Island (Hawaii) and Kauai. The Hawaii experience was much less synthetic than I thought it would be. Volcanoes National Park blew my mind.

If you don't want to swim, southern California beaches are fine, but I gotta say that state sure is crowded. I might catch some flack for saying that, but I call it as I see it.

Basically, the short answer is north Florida. For absolutely gorgeous, unspoiled beaches with few amenities and nobody hassling you, northwest Florida (especially in September/October.)

Edit to add: There are some cheap flights here from Denver, especially off-season.

For beautiful beaches with a few more amenities and nobody hassling you, northeast Florida (where I live.)

This is not to say that you can't find some quiet and nice spots in the Keys.
And southern Georgia can be pleasant, as well.

Message me if you need more info.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 09-23-2011 at 04:32 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 03:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Cook Islands !!!

Make it worth your wait, go to an outlying set of islands and live like a local, you may not come back (coming from a CO resident of 25+ yrs).

Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,142 times
Aruba, Eagle Beach @ Bucuti Beach Resort

Old 09-24-2011, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
Did you know about goa beech and trip, Its famous beech in India...

Old 09-24-2011, 03:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Some place along the Gulf coast would probably be your closest and cheapest option..

Old 09-24-2011, 06:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
If you are willing to go slightly off season, rates for package deals that include airfare, transfers, room, and some meals can be very affordable in places like the Caribbean and Costa Rica. If you choose Puerto Rico or the US Virgin islands, you don't even need a passport if you are a US citizen.

I'd suggest staying at a resort with a private beach. St. Thomas might be a good place to start, it meets all of your requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel