Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know how many motorcycle travelers we have on here since there are more motorcycles on the road now than ever. Some people seem to frown at the thought of a motorcycle being any where around them. We try to make a longer trip ever summer and have seemed to venture farther ever year. We are thinking about a trip up the East coast to Maine this coming summer. We are not typical motorcycle travelers probably, in that we don't see how many miles we can ride in one day. We just travel along the back roads when possible and enjoy the sights and are always on the lookout for a good place to eat. Anyone got any good motorcycle stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Well...almost 24 hrs. and no comments, looks like I'm really being frowned upon, oh well...you don't know what your missing. Besides, I'm in the 99%tile, no need to worry. You know what they saying, "you can't JUDGE a book by it's cover", or, I guess you can.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Sorry, I just found the thread! Yes, I love traveling by motorcycle, although I haven't gotten to take a long trip in several years. I can hardly wait to ride from DFW to NM and those beautiful mountains again.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks...I was begenning to think I was an outcast.

There is nothing like traveling the back roads, it's like you can experience everything more up close and personal. A sence of freedom, the wind in your face, at least that's what it is like for me. As I said before, it's not how many miles you ride in a day...just ride and pray for dry weather.

I love the mountains also. The blueridge parkway in North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia is great, wonderful views, 45 mph speed limit so you can take your time and enjoy.

I never been too far west but, it could be the next trip.

Ride Safe!!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Oh ... I tried to post and evidently missed.

I haven't done much m'cycle traveling myself, but DH has done a few rides. http://sdmcriders.org/oddstray and click on 'Motorcycle Links'

Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks again...nothing wrong with traveling to other countries but, I haven't seen all of this one yet. As the old folks around here says "I don't get out much". Now I'm retired!!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:54 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
We have done 6 coast to coast and back trips, albeit a decade ago when we were younger. Have ridden Nova Scotia, and the Maritimes, Upper Quebec, all over NY and New England many times, and the BRPkway several times.

We do 2 up on our old/current '94 Gold Wing, and did many trips on a previous '90 HD Softail, and even a few on my very old/still current '75 HD Shovelhead, though long rides on that are days long gone.

These days, it is easier to jump in the VetteVert, and roll for any distance and with a lil' more comfort and packability. But yes, we still like to ride.
GL, mD
Attached Thumbnails
We got any Motorcycle travelers?-img_1469-goldwingscottoverlook-10-6-11-reduce.jpg  

Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Thanks again...nothing wrong with traveling to other countries but, I haven't seen all of this one yet. As the old folks around here says "I don't get out much". Now I'm retired!!
We're down here in San Diego. To go anywhere else in this country, we have to either cross lotsa' desert or cross Los Angeles, which is possibly worse than desert. It's actually easier to travel down into Baja.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We're down here in San Diego. To go anywhere else in this country, we have to either cross lotsa' desert or cross Los Angeles, which is possibly worse than desert. It's actually easier to travel down into Baja.
I'm sure that's right. I would love to travel out that way, on the bike, but...I don't know if my old back side could hold up for that kinda trip. It would take me several days to make it all the way to the west coast but, on the other hand, what's time to a hog.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Sorry for delay, I too, 'forgot' about coming back to post.

I have done many road trips 'Bronson Style'. Just me and my bag... ONLY in Mtn, Prairie States and west (Missouri River to Pacific). I'm sure I have covered most of the 'fun' roads in that zone, some daily, as I lived in Co for 20+ yrs and did the Big Thompson Canyon and Trail Ridge many times a year (lived in Estes Park).

Moving to WA and having kids put a damper on MC travel. I will do it again (I still have 7 motorcycles, ALL older than 30 yrs). I am planning a trip to Europe where I will ship a classic MC there and sell it anfter touring for a few yrs. I will have MC at each of my my 'homes' in TN, TX, SD, WA. I will usually fly between them.

I must admit, I don't get any kick out of long distance trips, or riding Interstate highways. (my best friend does ~ 1,000 / miles / week on a vintage beemer). Tho I rode in snow and every kind of weather for many yrs, ... Living in 100" of drizzle (285 days) / yr, I have gained a new appreciation for wipers, heater, radio. My $35 VW Diesels get as good of mileage as my road bikes, and the VW's don't burn dino fuel

I'm not sure how folks these days would take to me sleeping in their barns and pastures as I did 30 yrs ago. I rarely did campgrounds, and I really dislike MC traveling in groups. ONE is plenty, as I don't like 'committee' decisions, and towing folks in for repair, or pulling up to a 'bar' as a group. I find MC groups are often like a pack of dogs, and recently had vandalism issues in Death Valley where I was REAL close to driving over a whole row of 'bikes' with my MH. I think I could have 'bumped' the first one in the line and they all would have toppled... very tempting (even as a lifelong MC rider.

If I have to go far, I will throw the MC in my 'Snowbear' trailer behind a 50 mpg Passat (set up for camping / HW, outdoor shower, chuckbox, bed)). I have a 1200 mile range between fill ups... MC is good to get 200 miles. I tend to fall asleep riding STRAIGHT highways across the desert (Too many yrs as a professional TT Dirt racer, I kinda like to lay it over and 'drift' the corners. I prefer gravel / dirt to pavement).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel