U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer - Day or Night flights?
Day flight 13 61.90%
Night flight 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 PM

2,593 posts, read 5,289,910 times

Advertisements

> If long flight overseas I'll take night every time

With many destinations (Europe for example) you just don't have a choice, virtually all flights leave the US in the evening and return midday.

> I prefer red eyes, when available

Excellent, leaves the daytime flights for me!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,492,339 times
Night easily. Unless the pilots announce over the PA system you ain't gonna be able to tell where you are anyways, unless you brought aboard a GPS with you.

At night there's less people on the plane (generally), so I have an easier chance to stretch across a couple seats. Also, the airports are less crowded (generally) at night, so my flight has a greater chance of leaving and arriving on time.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 PM

89 posts, read 112,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Depends where going. If long flight overseas I'll take night every time, that way your sleep schedule is aligned better and you don't really miss a precious day, leave at night arrive in the morning.
If you are one of the fortunate ones who don't sleep fitfully during a flight, that is. Otherwise, you are as good as a zombie the next morning

Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,166,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Night easily. Unless the pilots announce over the PA system you ain't gonna be able to tell where you are anyways, unless you brought aboard a GPS with you.

At night there's less people on the plane (generally), so I have an easier chance to stretch across a couple seats. Also, the airports are less crowded (generally) at night, so my flight has a greater chance of leaving and arriving on time.
Hmmm .... Maybe I should consider night flights for the longer commutes then ...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 AM

161 posts, read 214,297 times
Day flights because I can't sleep on a plane because other people don't want to sleep on night flights.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,056,165 times
Day BUT if the price is really cheap then at night.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,298,389 times
As a previous poster said, you don't have a lot of choice on long-hauls. Trans-U.S., I prefer morning so as to get it out of the way and enjoy what the fabulous country has to offer.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,154,728 times
On long haul flights, I don't care, because being a big sleeper, when I land after having at best slumbered in a narrow and upright airplane seat with nowhere to put my legs, whatever the time of my arrival, I head straight to bed!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:39 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
I try to choose flights at reasonable times of day if I can (not too early in the morning or late at night) unless the saving is significant or I have no other choice. I'd rather spent on a hotel rather than feeling sleepy.

When flying to LA I left Perth at 5am, arrived at Sydney at 11am, and arrived in LA at 9am on the same day. I didn't sleep that night and the flight was nearly 20 hours including the very short transit time in Sydney. I'd originally planned to come back from NY to Perth - 30 hours in total - but extended my stay in the US. I know I wouldn't be a happy camper after 30 hours, in which case 'night and day' becomes irrelevant. Wouldn't be an issue if I had a retractable bed on the plane. On the normal plane seats I can't get more than 20 minutes sleep without the help of some sleeping aid. I need one of those neck cushions or I get a sore neck.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
I do everything I can, in the dark, to allow daylilght for those things that can't be done in the dark. Airplanes, cars, trains, buses have lights, I prefer to use them.

I'm a farm kid / compulsive night shift worker. I can do without sleep much better than having to 'burn-daylight' sitting in an airport (or office for that matter). School should be at night so kids can work on the farm all day ! (Guess that is why I homeschooled, and my kids left home ALMOST as early as I did (as a kid). They actually stayed around 3+ yrs longer than I would have.

yes, nights = less people on flights and FAR FEWER bosses and other type AAA people who make travel / life miserable. . Plus, I can definitely sleep on a plane. In USA (short flights), gate-to-gate. Long hauls (Asia) I walk a lot while in Airports, and every few hours on the plane. Otherwise I read and sleep. (and drink water)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel