U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:25 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times

Advertisements

I got patted down by female security on my way to London in 1974 during the Troubles.

Tomorrow we'll be traveling to France and I know that JAX has one and that MIA has at least one. I haven't had to be scanned yet but I know it is a possibility.

I'm not crazy about the shoe thing, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 01:52 PM

161 posts, read 214,356 times
They should just have it where the people who hate the TSA and airport security can go on a certain plane with all the other people who didn't want to go through security.

The rest of us who don't want to die will go through security.

I read an article today that saidthey find 5 weapons a day throughout the world or USA (can't remember)...Whether they find that by patting down or the X-ray thing, I don't know.. But point is, if you want to live, go through it and shut up!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM

38,875 posts, read 20,168,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Seldom in the USA have I gotten a pat-down search except when the equipment was funky and caused problems. The x-ray isn;t a big deal at all and sometimes its actually faster than waiting for the metal detectors when family hoards are jamming up the lines.

outside the USA, this is more much more common and way more accepted and few (mostly americans) complain.
Uh ... It took longer for them to process me through the x-ray scanner versus the quickie metal detector

Old 12-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
They should just have it where the people who hate the TSA and airport security can go on a certain plane with all the other people who didn't want to go through security.

The rest of us who don't want to die will go through security.

I read an article today that saidthey find 5 weapons a day throughout the world or USA (can't remember)...Whether they find that by patting down or the X-ray thing, I don't know.. But point is, if you want to live, go through it and shut up!
Do you think that airplanes and airports are the ONLY places susceptible to terrorist threats? Should we just install these detectors and TSA inspectors everywhere there's a crowd or in all public modes of transportation?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,222,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2AK4job View Post
From personal experience the full x-ray lets the agent see nothing more than "blips" on a generic human form. It does not show your body parts..
I had zero metal on me, but when I went through the body scanner they asked me to remove my wallet and run it through the X-ray machine.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,503,418 times
I was patted down one time , years ago , leaving Las Vegas. At the time, I thought it was weird - I was only about 120lbs wearing skinny jeans and what I guess you'd call a leotard type t-shirt. (had snaps at the crotch but was a cotton blend for street wear) - so everything I had on was pretty form fitting. I think at the time it crossed my mind that the female agent just wanted to feel me up (I was also traveling with a military ID and other Marines). But it just wasn't worth worrying about.... my leave was getting ready to expire and I needed to be on that flight.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:38 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,862,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Uh ... It took longer for them to process me through the x-ray scanner versus the quickie metal detector
if you use a good travel service, they usually will provide info on the airports security lines, setup and toming. So if the x-rays are located off to one side, when your id is checked, go to that side because odds are people are avoiding that side. They have also told me at which airports the x-rays are in use but mostly as walkup who just went on that line.

Often I find there are few people if any standing on line to be x-rayed and that means in and out faster than waiting while mom & dad try to get the 4 kids in line to walk through the metal detector while getting all their carry ones on the conveyer. Or waiting for Suzy Bling Bling to remove all the jewlery. And we can;t forget Old man jake with can;t figure out the proccess and should still be in the old folks home.

To me speed and comfort is more desirable than if some TSA agent happened to get a quick thrill looking at my bony blurry image.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
if you use a good travel service, they usually will provide info on the airports security lines, setup and toming. So if the x-rays are located off to one side, when your id is checked, go to that side because odds are people are avoiding that side. They have also told me at which airports the x-rays are in use but mostly as walkup who just went on that line.

Often I find there are few people if any standing on line to be x-rayed and that means in and out faster than waiting while mom & dad try to get the 4 kids in line to walk through the metal detector while getting all their carry ones on the conveyer. Or waiting for Suzy Bling Bling to remove all the jewlery. And we can;t forget Old man jake with can;t figure out the proccess and should still be in the old folks home.

To me speed and comfort is more desirable than if some TSA agent happened to get a quick thrill looking at my bony blurry image.
The airport I went through the X-ray scanner wasn't in it's own separate line and I did not even realize that I was about to go through the darned thing until I actually was in it That was the longest security line I've ever experienced in my entire time of flying post-9/11 and it was mostly due to the fact that the line moved sllllooooowwwwwlllly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel