U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,550,391 times

Advertisements

For a one/two night stay I prefer a smaller less expensive place to stay. Having the "free" breakfast saves on the pocketbook also.

Now that being said....If I was at my main destination and was staying there the entire trip, I would enjoy having the extra perks of staying at a higher end hotel.

But when push comes to shove, has long as I have a clean and comfortable place to lay my head at night, I'm not that picking about a brand name.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 AM

737 posts, read 2,249,123 times
Points for free stuff: sometimes miles on my preferred airlines, upgrades when they exist, etc.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,096,607 times
I stay at them for business a lot. I have an air card so I don't need crappy free unreliable hotel internet. I have had nothing but good experiences at flagship Marriotts and Hiltons. They are usually in a good location (think urban downtown/city centers) as opposed to a Hampton Inn or Marriott Courtyard that are located in some suburban industrial park where you are dependent on driving miles to get dinner.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,008,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The Hilton Garden Inns offer the free internet and microwave/fridge in the rooms ... I dunno about the breakfast as I usually don't have time but the HGI are my preferred choice ... Always a positive experience.
The HGI isn't "The" Hilton. And yes, the HGI gives you everything, "The" Hilton gives you nothing.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You do get:

- Paid Internet No it doesn't - you have to pay for it.
- Full Service Restaurants Big Deal, who eats at a Hilton Restaurant anyway - if you're spending money on food, you're going somewhere else.
- Larger, well connected conference rooms and ballrooms Big Deal, if the boss is paying for it then OK. The original post is contexted for those who pay themselves.
- Spas, pools, golfing options Most places have a spa or jacuzzi, golfing isn't free - anybody can pay for golf anywhere.
- Concierge Big Deal, who uses those things anyway? You still have to pay.
- Bell service Oh Boy, BFD.
- Valet Parking Shoot, does that mean I can save 30 paces? Plus I have to wait five minutes for my car and leave a tip. No thanks.
- Room Service overpriced, and limited menus
- Fancy Chandeliers
- Nicer beds, pillows, etc I doubt it.
- Larger rooms C'mon man
- Luxury Suite Options Like what?
- etc. There are no etceteras.

It's nice to come back to something nice after a day out. I don't really see any drawbacks.
Basically, a Hilton or Marriot is a room, a TV, a toilet, a shower, and a sink. That's it. You have to pay for everything else. I'd rather stay at a Motel 6 because at least you get free internet.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 AM

38,875 posts, read 20,168,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The HGI isn't "The" Hilton. And yes, the HGI gives you everything, "The" Hilton gives you nothing.
HGI isn't The Hilton but you do accrue Hilton rewards points ... It's part of the same chain but Hiltons are more higher end. As for me and my pocketbook, I'll stick to the HGI

Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 AM

6,848 posts, read 10,143,385 times
MOD Note to OP:

This is quickly turning into a consumer complaint thread by you, which is not permitted per TOS.

You put the questions to the forum... and they have graciously answered you with their own opinions, for and against.

And, yet now you are answering your own questions.

Explain, please, exactly what it is you are expecting to accomplish here.

Otherwise, this thread will be closed.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I must admit, I had a great experience at the hyatt suites!

That being said I have never had a complaint about any Hilton's ive stayed in....

Never stayed in a Mariott, but the one in my city is beautiful, I have a hard time seeing any drawbacks.

Remember, we're talking THE HILTON and THE MARRIOT, not their tiered brands. Of course you enjoyed the Hyatt Suites. It's not THE Hyatt.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
They have free shuttles to the airline terminals and also the center of town.

I like the swimming pool, too.
Ya but....so do most of their lower hotels like Hamton Inn or Courtyard where at least you'd get free internet and other amenities that Hilton and Marriot don't provide for free.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
INever had an issue with anything you mentioned.

Who is "you"? The original poster? You mean you got free internet, free breakfast, a microwave and a fridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or