Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,577,661 times

Advertisements

I am an addict. I have travelled literally since birth, my Father was in the Navy then a Diplomat so my childhood was spent moving from one place to another, sometimes every couple of months. It gave me this insatiable desire to keep on moving.

In many respects it has made me more independent and I think I am fairly adventurous ( this being now reined in a little due to ill health) but sadly it has also meant that I am never quite happy wherever I am. If I stay too long somewhere it starts gnawing at my soul and dissatisfaction sets in . Wanderlust is an appalling condition if you are restricted by health or practical issues as I am.

As far as I am concerned I would be quite happy to be on the move at all times. Nothing is ever as depressing as coming "home". I have never craved domesticity and it is killing me. I would be actually delighted if Hubby was posted abroad, again and again and again. Most people I know just do not understand this and think I am weird.

I likewise cannot comprehend how someone can live without travelling or at least aching to. It is the very air I breathe. I live for my travels. They make my life endurable. I will come home from a trip and immediately will be thinking about the next one or two trips. Being settled down to me is such a sad thing. I want to take the man I love with me and just keep on moving until I kick the bucket.

I cannot think of anything more hideous and depressing than living in the same place for decades, at the same job , surrounded by the same people.The very thoguht of it makes me feel nauseous. Literally.

I feel as though I am trapped if I cannot travel. Claustrophobic and in chains.

I relish travel, I crave it and I need it. Without it I am a mere husk . There is something so liberating , so freeing about being somewhere new, a new environment, new people, new language, new food, new culture, something exciting and deeply satisfying.

Give me my health back and I shall be on that road again within seconds. I told Hubby I needed about half an hour to be packed and ready to leave for a trip and about a couple of days to move. He loves travel but he is far more grounded than I am and is not quite as fanatic as I am.

To me travel and discovery is the essence of Human Nature, something so ingrained in me it is now becoming a real problem. Having your wings clipped when all you want is to soar is very difficult and painful. It actually hurts to be stuck at home. Home is a grossly over rated concept IMO. Home as they say is where I hang my hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,259,708 times
I love to travel and am always dreaming about my next trip. Right now I am craving sunshine and a beach and the sound of waves.

I also love my home and my own bed, my kitchen with all my gadgets and my garden. When I am away from home for any length of time the one thing I miss most is being able to cook. Apart from that, being away and seeing new places and people and trying new foods and people watching and learning about the history and architecture of different places - love it.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:47 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,868,160 times
Yeah at this stage I pretty much gear my life around travel. Since a kid I've always been fascinated with the world, the geography, flora and fauna, culture. I'd stare at atlases just wondering what those places with exotic names were, my favourite channel was the Discovery Channel or National Geographic. I'd imagine hiking in the Andes or Borneo...in another time I might have been an explorer. Even in my own backyard, after I got my car, I used to drive everywhere myself exploring. I'm fascinated to see each new country, or even parts of my own country, see how different they are and experience the local culture.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,683,287 times
wanderlust is in my genes. I'd rather be traveling than home (even tho I have a beautiful abode in a National Scenic Area.)

Probably best noted by coming home JUST in time to be back to work (often drive straight to work upon arrival 'home') NEVER have got home a day ahead of schedule, but many times weeks / months BEHIND schedule.

Partner is the same way, gotta go... just made air reservations for two trips tonight (1/2 price SWA)

We took lots of 8-12 wk trips from day one.

Have had international positions (living and working as family).

Much prefer to have company pay for travel, and ALWAYS take advantage of being away. (Have accumulated 2 million air miles on behalf of company paid travel)

Rarely travel as a tourist, befriend and stay with locals.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:26 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
Meh. I grew up overseas (70s/80s) and traveled everywhere (Asia, Europe, etc) every year. I'm over it. Especially since a lot of the world is so westernized now and a lot of the local flavor has been sucked out and homogenized and commercialized. Also, air travel used to be luxurious and kind of fun...back in the 70s and 80s, when they kissed your butt all the time and gave you all sorts of goodies, etc.

Now I am happy to be at home and the only traveling I really dream about is my next vacation to a secluded beach resort somewhere tropical (and occasionally to the BVIs). What I dream about now is getting away from everyone, not thrusting myself into throngs of tourists.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:14 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,560,320 times
VERY.

We have lived in Europe, Asia and now USA in the last 6 years, and I've visited over 300 cities in 36 countries.
I've travelled alone from the age of 21 when none of my friends would go to India with me.
My husband loves traveling too, I couldn't be with someone who didn't.
My husband travels a lot in his job and I quite often go with him and when he goes to the office and I get out and about. I've travelled around Japan whilst he has been working in Tokyo, I've seen more of Mumbai, Sydney & Toronto and surrounds while he has only seen the office
I always have at least one pending flight on my BA account and usually a couple of trips in the pipeline.
In the year we have lived in the US we have visited, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Montreal, Boston, Toronto - twice, Otttawa, Hawaii, Palm Springs, all along the coast from San Diego to San Francisco and plan the following for before we leave next year - a golf and drive through Florida, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon, Mt Rushmore and New Orleans to Memphis.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:08 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,882,145 times
I used to really not care that much if any at a younger age. Up to 23 years old, I really had complete absence of thought. Absolutely everything changed around my own Early to Mid 20's. Especially in World outlook later on in 2000's. My own enthusiasm went up. In between slow or fast. Rising relevance to motivation. Urges to enter International Countries adventures is quite high for now on. At least up to maybe my own 40's. New exciting memories change of scenery. One of the most entertaining actions to fulfill.

Simultaneously, can't ever lose interest for other areas of my own life.

Every region is unique enough. Go ahead and explore.

Last edited by *******; 05-31-2020 at 03:26 PM..

Old 12-27-2020, 10:07 PM

8 posts, read 4,098 times
Default Travelling

If you don't travel you'll be like a frog in the well. Its a really big and amazing world out there and I'm really passionate for exploring it. Travel within your country or travel internationally, its up to you. You will surely be amazed by the architecture, mountain views, beaches, tradition and culture and most important the variety of food you get to eat. I'd suggest to travel at least once a year.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:37 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,281,603 times
Our passion about travel is being tested here in our country at the moment thanks to the pandemic. I think that last year 11 million out of the population of 25 million went overseas. Now the borders are shut and exemptions not easy to get. All people coming in have to quarantine in hotels at their own expense. This means that we can not consider overseas travel and this will likely continue at least for most of next year.

Even interstate travel is difficult as the borders keep getting shut between states when there is an outbreak of the virus. In Sydney we have had an outbreak in the last week which now numbers 108 cases and the only place interstate we can go is the Northern Territory.

We have always been quite keen travellers and usually go overseas about twice a year these days. But this year we have been away from home for two nights in total, in March. Strangely, it is not bothering me too much. I am quite content at home and like seemingly the rest of the country, have been busy redirecting the money to house improvements.

But other friends really miss travel and long for its return, often going on numerous trips within the state.

Will be most interesting to see the long term impact on the travel industry. And long term impact on me.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:06 AM

5,237 posts, read 3,579,608 times
Travel has been the prime mover of my life, seriously. I dreamt about it as a child, devoured books about far away places & the people (westerners) that went there & I tried to emulate them to one degree or another throughout my life. Some people want to get rich, some want to have a nice family with a nice house, some want to be athletic or artistic and some want to improve society, some want power or fame or status,

I just wanted to go away, I don't believe in destiny but maybe that is it. I started solo traveling as teen & mostly considered careers that would incorporate or require travel. My mother is from another country & all my extended family is in Europe & I got dual EU citizenship over 30 years ago. I always thought that I would live abroad, I've lived in 7 states & have been in almost all the others.

I remember people in my office when I was in my 30's casually talking about buying a new couch or a new car & I could only think of how that money could be "better spent" buying a plane ticket & hotel/BnB reservations. If I had devoted as much energy to studying or making money or climbing a corporate ladder... but I always was obsessed with what was on the other side of the hill & the next trip. Still am, now that I'm retired I'm more interested in focusing on a few areas & going deep, not just wandering wide, I have plans for next year after covid that will be much longer stays, buying a one way ticket actually & keeping options open.

ETA: 9 year old thread!

Last edited by Hefe; 12-28-2020 at 12:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel