Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:02 AM

7,826 posts, read 11,738,798 times

Advertisements

Whenever I talk to people I realize there are two distinct groups of people...those that would like to travel to some place (as in it's a nice thing to do but not high on my priority list) and those that simply HAVE or CRAVE to travel, are pretty passionate about it and prioritize it in their life. These are the people who are always dreaming about their next trip.

Which group do you fit into and have you met people from the other group?

There may be a third group of people who simply dislike traveling altogether, but I think it is quite rare. My cousin is an example of this. When I say I am excited to go to country X she will say "Why would you ever leave the comfort of your home and home country to go to X?"..oh well, some people do not understand I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,850,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Whenever I talk to people I realize there are two distinct groups of people...those that would like to travel to some place (as in it's a nice thing to do but not high on my priority list) and those that simply HAVE or CRAVE to travel, are pretty passionate about it and prioritize it in their life. These are the people who are always dreaming about their next trip.

There may be a third group of people who simply dislike traveling altogether, but I think it is quite rare. My cousin is an example of this. When I say I am excited to go to country X she will say "Why would you ever leave the comfort of your home and home country to go to X?"..oh well, some people do not understand I guess.
I begin planning my next trip as soon as I get back from my other. I plan out everything I will see and do, and my routes, then I change it again and change it again. By the time the trip comes, it is a different plan, and by the time I land on the plane my plan still changes daily

I would say most people I come across are people who think it is really cool, love listening to my stories, yet never actually take the leap and do it. They just do other things in their life. Can't say I blame them, traveling takes a lot of sacrifice in other areas of your life, that is unless you have a very relaxed high paying job..

Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 AM

737 posts, read 2,581,604 times
Before the Euro and USD got screwed up, we traveled every chance we could. Now we base our destination on how far our USD will go and if the place is interesting, we go. Looks like someplace in India next year. We've never been so we're very excited and have a few business contacts there so I'm already looking at flights.

So I guess we're somewhere in the middle of the two groups - we don't have to travel, but we enjoy it when we do, due in part that we both had careers requiring a lot of travel (think middle seat, coach for many years), we're now using those miles for upgrades which makes the actual trip part of the holiday.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:57 AM

163 posts, read 269,179 times
Quote:

I'm the kind of person that has to travel. See my thread I just posted .
People are different and that is the beauty of life. I know some people who can't understand the idea of camping.. They don't understand why someone would go sleep outside. I'm a frequent hiker and camp all the time and I don't understand how someone can't enjoy it! The scenery, solitude, peace....It's amazing.

But to answer your question, I fit into the group that loves it and needs it in order to live and feel alive. I have met other people that feel the same traveling but I haven't met any people around me that feel the same.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:01 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,041,715 times
My husband and I live to travel. We don't have an urge or a craving. We don't dream about it. We just look at travelling the same way we look at breathing, eating, drinking, and sleeping. It's part of the natural components of life, which, without it, we would not be whole.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
My husband and I live to travel. We don't have an urge or a craving. We don't dream about it. We just look at travelling the same way we look at breathing, eating, drinking, and sleeping. It's part of the natural components of life, which, without it, we would not be whole.
yes, but if you were suddenly unable to travel for a long amount of time looks to me like you would miss it a lot and start craving it The fact that you don't crave it is probably because you are able to get your fix am I right?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:02 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
I'd enjoy traveling if

I didn't have to pay for it and
I didn't have to take long airplane rides and
I didn't have to wait in lines (airports or sightseeing, etc) and
I didn't get jet lag and
I couldn't experience basically the same thing on the internet and
I didn't get exposed to extreme weather/environmentals too hot or too cold or too many bugs and
I didn't have to follow a bunch of silly customs

Old 12-13-2011, 06:31 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,459,753 times
My husband and I consider travel a vital part of our lives. It doesn't matter if it is across an ocean or just a roadtrip to someplace new. Each has it's own experiences that help us broaden our view of the world. We love to meet local people, eat local food and see what is "special" about where they live. While we love our hometown, we get restless and feel the "need" to hit the road. Sometimes we go with friends, but mostly by ourselves. I especially enjoy researching locations to find things of interest. My husband prefers to be surprised by the unexpected. He is a photographer and tries to find unique things about each place. We carry a collapsible cooler in the car in case we come across food products we can't get at home. We love to hike and kayak in new places. Our next big trip is in May when we will hike to the bottom of Grand Canyon.
There are so many ways to experience a place that you can't get from a TV show or the Internet. Flavors, smells, private moments that you can reflect on in the future....these memories will sustain me when I can no longer feel them in person.
Our greatest obstacles are money and getting time off from our jobs. If I was independently wealthy, I would plan a major trip every 3 months!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
yes, but if you were suddenly unable to travel for a long amount of time looks to me like you would miss it a lot and start craving it The fact that you don't crave it is probably because you are able to get your fix am I right?
You are absolutely correct. I've never thought about that, but now you pointed it out, it is true.

There was not one year in the last four decades when we did not have at least a long/big trip and several small/short trips. That's why we did not feel the craving. I'll be darn!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Our next big trip is in May when we will hike to the bottom of Grand Canyon.
We did that at 15 years ago, from South Rim down to Plateau Point and back.

I still wonder how our marriage survived that hike. Not from my effort, evidently, since on the way up, I repeatedly asked my husband to leave me behind to die in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel