U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM

161 posts, read 214,643 times

Advertisements

I apologize for the length of this in advance...And I appreciate anyone who spends the time to read it and reply =)

I'll start by explaining a little about myself. I was born in Sweden in 1988, moved over to the US with my family at age 5 for work. We moved back and forth a couple times until I was about 8 and then I lived in Seattle until 2008, when I moved back to Seattle for 1 year and then came back to Seattle again. I'm 23 now and own a house in Seattle, have a good job and like I recently posted in the Atlanta thread, have the opportunity to move to Atlanta with my job. The problem is, I'm tired of being a drone. I'm the kind of person who loves being outside. I hike on the weekends and my vacations consist of long backpacking trips where I don't have to deal with my phone or anyone other than the people around me for an extended period of time. I love simplicity and I love nature. Whenever I'm out traveling or in the woods, I feel alive. However, I get caught up in the day to day grind and start following news and acting like a 40+ year old which makes me sick. I don't find pleasure in materials and I find very little pleasure in owning a house. People always tell me "You are so young and you own a house etc etc" and I feel nothing from that. In my head I just think "All I did was work since I was 16 and save my money, it's not that hard"

Anyways, I'm a point in my life where I want to just leave everything behind. I want to sell my house, my car, everything, and take off. I have a lot of things and I don't appreciate any of it. I don't appreciate clean water, I don't appreciate my warm house, I don't appreciate anything. By the way, I'm not depressed, I'm just confused and a little different . You might be asking me why I don't just do it. Well, I'm afraid of my families thought about it. I know my dad would be furious because "what about my future" which is what everyone says. I had a long time friend who died on a motorcycle in August.. She was the nicest person I've ever met and was only 25...She's gone and spent most of her life working and going to school. I'm tired of being responsible and planning for the future. If I don't enjoy my cubicle and day to day grind, shouldn't I do something about that?

So, my plan right now is wait it out a little longer and make sure it's what I want to do. I have a quite a bit of money saved up but I almost want to leave that here and not use any of it. I want to get on a plane to some random country and figure things out as I go. I want to struggle to find somewhere to sleep and struggle to sleep so that I can appreciate those things more. Do I sound nuts? This thought comes from my camping experiences. Every time I come back after a two week trip in the woods, I appreciate everything we have a lot more and it's beautiful.

I apologize that this wasn't structured to have a flow but I just felt like rambling on my lunch break. If you have ANY suggestions, any experience to share, any do's/do nots type stuff.. ANYTHING.. I would really appreciate it. I will read each and every comment word by word because this is something I'm serious about and would love to hear about your trips. Also, if you have any questions, I will be checking back frequently so let me know!

Thanks people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 PM

737 posts, read 2,251,782 times
You're a young adult and permitted to do what you want.

However, you wrote: Every time I come back after a two week trip in the woods, I appreciate everything we have a lot more and it's beautiful."

I'll play along... as a pop psyche: your young friend recently died without doing any of the things that she either talked about or anything that you thought she should do.

Why not give away your house to someone who will appreciate it? And since you don't really want the responsibility of having money in the bank, then send it to me. But once you have no money, then how will you get on a plane and leave to another country?

Why are you so concerned about your parents thoughts? Are you in the cubicle in order to avoid their disapproval?

You only have one life, do what you want. You asked, "Am I nuts?" I can't answer that except from my own life experiences, and my answer is, yes.

Okay, I played along. Please post to update all that are interested in your decision and especially the outcome.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,547,187 times
You're 23 years old. It's mature to consider what family will think. But *you* own your life now.

What about deciding to take a year "off". Rent out your house, and follow your dream. At the end of the year, re-assess what you're doing and decide whether to extend your "off" year. You could probably even talk your family into going along with that, for a plan.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
You're a young adult and permitted to do what you want.

However, you wrote: Every time I come back after a two week trip in the woods, I appreciate everything we have a lot more and it's beautiful."

I'll play along... as a pop psyche: your young friend recently died without doing any of the things that she either talked about or anything that you thought she should do.

Why not give away your house to someone who will appreciate it? And since you don't really want the responsibility of having money in the bank, then send it to me. But once you have no money, then how will you get on a plane and leave to another country?

Why are you so concerned about your parents thoughts? Are you in the cubicle in order to avoid their disapproval?

You only have one life, do what you want. You asked, "Am I nuts?" I can't answer that except from my own life experiences, and my answer is, yes.

Okay, I played along. Please post to update all that are interested in your decision and especially the outcome.
Hmm.. I'm not sure I said I don't want the responsibility of having money because that sentence doesn't really make sense. You can have money and no responsibilities. Money doesn't create responsibility. Also "But once you have no money, then how will you get on a plane and leave to another country?". Really?

Thanks for trying to help.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
You're 23 years old. It's mature to consider what family will think. But *you* own your life now.

What about deciding to take a year "off". Rent out your house, and follow your dream. At the end of the year, re-assess what you're doing and decide whether to extend your "off" year. You could probably even talk your family into going along with that, for a plan.
I like this idea. Thanks

Old 12-13-2011, 02:50 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,686,086 times
You think real life is found somewhere else, but you'll find that's not the case. Our lives are what we make of it and, wherever you go, you'll find yourself there, so not much will change.

"Eat, Love, Pray" doesn't show life being lived, but life being avoided. You can live your life avoiding responsibilities and eschewing "stuff" and relationships, but the end of that road is a rest home with nobody who cares you're there.

The worst possible outcome to life is to find yourself in old age thinking, "I wasted my life." Your plan has a good chance of doing just that.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,269,594 times
Grow a pair and do something for yourself. No one respects a person who sits around and spends their whole time worrying about what other people think.

You're right, tons of people are going to call you an idiot for doing what you want? Why should you care? Majority of people are nay-sayers, get over it and make yourself happy.

No one can tell you what's right or wrong, personally i think a year off of everything is way too much.. but who am i to tell you anything? You know yourself more than I do, do what you gotta do and forget the rest.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
Every Australian is expected to do that. It looks good on a resume.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 AM

180 posts, read 426,240 times
Hmmm....I'll play. The only time you feel truly alive is when you are out in the backcountry, trekking along the natural splendor and beauty of the wilderness. Completey self reliant on your skills, knowledge and what is in your pack but at the same time you are completely at the mercy of mother nature. There is something sacred about being out there in pristine backcountry not spoiled by man made buildings.

It is your escape from the daily monotony of life where you become numb to your surroundings, senses dulled, and trapped by material things, career, money and life responsibilities. Well....a lot of people feel that way about everyday life and everybody has a different way of coping. I believe I do understand what you are getting at and I get that there is a lot of family & society pressures to be a young "responsible working adult" to make good money, start a career, own a home, ect. At least you have a home, a good paying job, the ability to take trips, material things, & most of all financial stability in these troubled economic times. Not everyone has those luxuries you take for granted. On the flip side, I do undertand the strong desire to leave everything behind and lose yourself in another country. I go on long multi-day backpacking trips as well to get away from the blandness of routine everyday life. I do tire of the noise & ugliness of the city/society, the boring routine of work, entrapment of material things, ect but I'm very grateful for what I have. I have a good paying job, home, car, disposable income and lot's of vacation time. So when I feel that overwhelming daze of dullness getting a bit thick, I take off to the wilderness to reinvigorate myself but I always remember how fortunate I am.

I apologize for the longwinded soap box paragraphs, but finally here is what I would do in your shoes: Why not take a 3-6 month sabbatical? See if your company will allow that. Sell off the things you don't care for and put that towards your trip. You can live lean and un-materialistic. Only buy the bare esstentials. Go and wander the earth and let your whims lead you. Volunteer/do some manual labor work at truly poor villages in 3rd world countries. Mingle with the locals. See how the rest of the world lives. Lose yourself in the backcountry......and when you come back you should have a better understanding, perception and appreciation of life. But if that type of nomadic lifestyle is truly your calling.....go for it.

Good luck and have safe and happy travels.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 AM

34,446 posts, read 41,558,091 times
Ya need to go on a walk/drive about mate, buy a white van, Rent out the house,
and just drive away.
A copy of William Least Heat Moon's book "Blue Highways" will give you an idea of how some one else found himself by shedding most things familiar and just left it all behind..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel