Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 PM

527 posts, read 2,163,875 times

Advertisements

I am a first time US Domestic airline user. I have come to US just few months back and that was all in all international flight. But next weekend, i am going to travel out of the city (currently in Dallas). So i will be traveling through Frontier Airlines and US Airways.
Now we are strict vegetarians so we plan to carry some dry snacks etc with us. We only have 2 carry on bags and since we do not have any check-in baggage, i am confused as to what food i can carry along with me in my carry-on bag.

Appreciate your responses and apologies if the query sounds stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,220,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
I am a first time US Domestic airline user. I have come to US just few months back and that was all in all international flight. But next weekend, i am going to travel out of the city (currently in Dallas). So i will be traveling through Frontier Airlines and US Airways.
Now we are strict vegetarians so we plan to carry some dry snacks etc with us. We only have 2 carry on bags and since we do not have any check-in baggage, i am confused as to what food i can carry along with me in my carry-on bag.

I'm not sure what the rule is or where they draw the line, but I travel with sealed packages of dried fruit in my carry-on all the time without any issue.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,811,019 times
Quote:

You can take any food that you buy in the concourse after you have cleared security. If you are taking food through the security checkpoint (pre concourse), again, you can take anything except liquids.
As a general rule of thumb, though you can take any type of food, foods with strong odors (lots of garlic, etc) will get you an unfriendly look from your seatmates.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,028,562 times
I recently travelled with two dessert tortes. I asked a friend (who works for an airline at the terminal) about where the line is drawn and he said that yogurt is that line.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:26 AM

10,182 posts, read 6,238,153 times
I bought a dozen bagels in NYC and put them in my carryon bag. I was stopped and they went throught my bag, but the security guy kept saying that they smelled so good. Maybe he just wanted one? lol

Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,092,569 times
I would just check the web pages of the airlines you'll be traveling on. They will have the info you need. Rules change alot in my opinion.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM

527 posts, read 2,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would just check the web pages of the airlines you'll be traveling on. They will have the info you need. Rules change alot in my opinion.

Yes but you see they never mentioned any specifics as to what i can carry and they usually have things you cannot carry.
Moreover we being Indians, we may be carrying few Indian snacks (sealed pack off course) that the airline authorities and security guys may not be familiar with and hence was bit confused.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:08 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,488,971 times
Quote:
Yes but you see they never mentioned any specifics as to what i can carry and they usually have things you cannot carry.
Well they can't make a list of what you can carry on, as that would never end. They make a list of what you can't carry on, which is much shorter, and if your item isn't on that list, then it is fine.

As long as there are no liquids, you can stuff your carry on bags full of dried snacks and you'll be fine.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:39 PM

61,201 posts, read 86,043,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
You can take any food that you buy in the concourse after you have cleared security.

^^^ this.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,550,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I recently travelled with two dessert tortes. I asked a friend (who works for an airline at the terminal) about where the line is drawn and he said that yogurt is that line.
I'll second this. At Baltimore, they wouldn't let me take yogurt with me, even though it was a commercial brand in a sealed package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel