U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,822,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ I'll be in Bangkok (Citrus Hotel on Sukhumvit), then I'll head South on Jan 23, if you're around, no prob !!!!!!!!!!!!
Just doing BKK and Hua Hin for a few days, then up north. BKK for a few days before I return.
I'm not big on the beach areas, although I've been on diving trips there.
I'm happier in the mountains.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-03-2012 at 04:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,632,057 times
I have not visited any place around the world, which I would consider to be "overrated". There is so much interesting around the world, especially when refering to a whole country. For example in the U.S., I would call Las Vegas overrated, but on the other hand there is enough else for me to discover so I can pick my favourites like Grand Canyon, Yosemite, California, Indian Summer in Pennsylvania...

In general, the nearest thing to "overrated" are countries only consisting in beaches, with tourists in giant hotels far away from the locals and the culture.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,707,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe because I was in pretty touristy areas (stayed in Khao San Road in Bangkok and Patong Beach in Phuket) and went to 'proper' restaurants much of the time. Even a meal at a streetside stall, of fried chicken and noodles (which was pretty yummy) was the equivalent of $4 US, which seemed expensive for street food.
Could be, but I couldn't imagine paying $8/meal there like you do, and yes we go inside to sit-down restaurants.

http://www.adamvanwildest.com/wp-con...2011/10/m2.jpg

http://teakdoor.com/Gallery/albums/u...bang_saray.JPG

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-03-2012 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted - requires links only

Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 AM

332 posts, read 398,095 times
Singapore- did nothing for me.
Bangkok- dump.
South Africa- the whites there are just as pig rude as the ones I've met here. Not saying that all of them are but they seem to have a high percentage of rude and arrogant types among them in my experience.
Paris- interesting, but the smoking and spitting that I saw was pretty disgusting.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 AM

4,547 posts, read 8,263,415 times
The very first thing they ask, before they make pleas for help, is "do you speak English?"

Just speak in Korean or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I'm not going to comment on whether a whole country could be considered disappointing or all the cuisine of a country could be similarly described (really, you ate in all the restaurants in the country?) but I will say you have to be very aggressive towards gypsy-types all over Europe- like rude, in your face- get the f#ck away from me!!! whenever you see these professional thieves come near you.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 AM

7,508 posts, read 3,724,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah everyone goes on about how friendly the Thais are but apart from wanting to get your money, they didn't seem especially friendly. Some of the 'working girls' are also very aggressive. Why do they hate the Burmese so? Maybe due to illegal immigration? I wonder what they think of the Japanese, since some mistook me for a Japanese person.

Most of SE Asia is pretty environmentally damaged. Phi Phi Island, for instance, was so packed with tourists the coral reefs looked rather colourless and lacking in life. Nha Trang in Vietnam was even worse...They literally treat the waters like a rubbish dump.

Also I found the Thai language really annoying, to be honest. I'm glad I'm not Thai, having to listen to that all day every day. Also Thailand isn't all that cheap as I had expected. I was paying an average of maybe $8 a meal, and not at expensive places either. I came from Vietnam where I was paying $1-5 for very good meals.

The plus sides were of course nice beaches and lots of entertainment options. A lot of it pretty sleazy though, as you'd know.
My time in Thailand was pretty good. I ate meals for a dollar and drink is about a dollar (depending what I'm getting) or less.The most was 250 because we (some other tourist and I) went to this buffet/performance in Chiangmai city. I don't think their language is annoying but I don't find it to be my favorite either way.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,822,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
My time in Thailand was pretty good. I ate meals for a dollar and drink is about a dollar (depending what I'm getting) or less.The most was 250 because we (some other tourist and I) went to this buffet/performance in Chiangmai city. I don't think their language is annoying but I don't find it to be my favorite either way.
Were you at the khantok place just south of the walled city? or the one by the Night Safari area?
I had a nice at the one outside of the walls even though it was a tourist trap.

I like the sound of Thai and speak a bit.
It's tonal and that's quite a challenge.

Trimac, all Thai women are not working girls.
Why are you in working girl areas if you're not interested?

Seems you put yourself in situations (or not, see OP where you discuss the boring time in Belarus even though you never visited) and try to blame others.
With your attitude, you'll most likely be disappointed by everything in life.
That's a distinct choice that you make, only you can change it.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,465,561 times
I cannot say any country I have been to is over or underrated but I do not travel with expectations.
Everywhere I have been I have found Beauty,Culture, Interesting People... Someplaces I think hey I could imagine to live here or interesting but not for me, but I always found there is something worthwile everywhere. Hotels, Attractions, Food may or may not be overrated.

If you follow the US tourist stereotype i.e. Europe in two weeks only going to the "Big Attractions" Paris 3 days, Rome 3 days,Munich... You will likly be disapointed when these places don´t meet your expectations.

I love Italian food and often find if I eat at a resturaunt in a tourist area it is ok but nothing special and overpriced, get away from the Tourist areas and I have had some amazing meals, same in France. I admit I have traveled a lot in France, Italy and Spain but never was in Paris and hardly ever in any of the main tourist destinations.

My Travels have been limited to Europe, USA, Mexico and North Africa would love to go to Asia sometime.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM

13 posts, read 18,867 times
China. Too many people. Dirty, noisy. People were rude. The food was not good. Again - dirty.
To be honest I visited China in 1991 and loved it - basically no cars, nice and safe then I visited again 2011 and HATED it. Boy has it changed for the worst from a tourist perspective.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 PM

8,001 posts, read 16,055,973 times
I haven't had a single country "disappoint" me. Not one that's overrated. I have, however, had disappointing experiences. I hesitantly went to Punta Cana, DR to stay at an all-inclusive with a then girlfriend. I don't generally do that type of thing because I hate the idea of traveling thousands of miles to wall yourself off from the country your visiting. Anyway, I assumed that I'd have little trouble getting off the resort and seeing some of the real area. Wrong. There wasn't much in the way of civilization nearby, and the resort staff made it a REAL pain to leave the premises on my own. They say it was for "Safety" but I'm fairly certain it was just that they wanted me to pay to do one of their excursions (don't get me started on those... generally over-priced and poorly done). In other Caribbean countries, I've paid a cab driver in the ballpark of $50 to be my "personal driver" all day and take me all over. Couldn't do that in the DR (they make much more off of airport runs). So, after a week in the DR, I saw VERY little outside of the reef (terrible snorkeling excursion) and a few houses along the beach.

Again, It's not the country I have a problem with (hell, it doesn't even feel like I was IN the country since I never left the resort and was surrounded by Americans and Canadians). It was the experience at the all inclusive resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel