U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times

Advertisements

Could you give me some examples of rates (average condo rental 2 pers,no need to be right on the beach, cheapest car rental 2 weeks, an average meal at a diner), stillkit? I had also a proposal for the same period for rental from a friend of my mother who owns a condo in Hawaii, boy, the rent certainly was not friendly,she was making me no favor, so I thought 'maybe S Florida is less expensive', but it seems NOT...I guess I put this plan on hold...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,669,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Could you give me some examples of rates (average condo rental 2 pers,no need to be right on the beach, cheapest car rental 2 weeks, an average meal at a diner), stillkit? I had also a proposal for the same period for rental from a friend of my mother who owns a condo in Hawaii, boy, the rent certainly was not friendly,she was making me no favor, so I thought 'maybe S Florida is less expensive', but it seems NOT...I guess I put this plan on hold...

No, I don't have time to do your research for you, but I will give you one example:

A few years ago, I wanted to rent a place to live on Anna Maria Island, just south of Tampa/St. Pete. During the "off season" (summer) the house I was interested in rented for $700 per month. During snow bird season, they were asking $2100.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,392,444 times
I would second the suggestions of either New Orleans or Washington DC. If you've been to New York ... why go back. See another part of the country.

New Orleans, there's a ton of stuff to do in the city. The food's fabulous. Outside the city, you've got all the plantation scene, the Cajun country, the swamps. It's such a unique and different culture, and landscape, to the places you've already seen in America.

Washington DC, of course, has all it's museums. But the surrounding areas have so much history. All the battlefields, museums, historic homes, etc. So, so much to see and do.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
Going back to NYC is one option as there always stuff to do there.
Another option is visiting California as there is lots to see in Los Angeles, San Francisco and several places in between along the coast such as Carmel, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, etc.
If you decide on Washington, D.C, I would combine it with a trip to Philadelphia which has several historical sites connected to the birth of the USA.
Southern Florida also has lots to offer and there I would recommend visiting Ft. Lauderdale as well as Miami and Key West. There always Orlando and Disney World if one is interested in that type of thing. (But the original Disneyland is the one in Southern California.)

Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM

42,837 posts, read 79,080,289 times
Oh, boy, this thread is old. I hope this poor guy didn't go to New Orleans.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM

14,258 posts, read 14,144,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Considering that you'll be in the neighborhood anyway--Monterrey CA.

Absolutely gorgeous area, nice town, and the Monterrey Aquarium on Monterrey Bay is supremely entertaining. You can literally spend days there. Possibly the finest museum/aquarium/natural area in the world. Really first rate. Monterey Bay Aquarium

I lived in California nearly 20 years and it wasn't till I went back to visit from out of state that I made the random decision to go to Monterrey and the Aquarium. I have traveled some countries of the world since then, and I still rate Monterrey and its' aquarium as one of my most favorite-ist places I have ever been.

No, it is seriously worth the trip. The central California coast is one of the world's most beautiful places. The food is supreme. The climate is perfect. The scenery is glorious. The plants are unique. The Aquarium is amazing. And.the.otters!! Oh my god the otters! Otters in motion, otters in Monterrey Bay, otters on parade. Since then I have been lifelong otterized.

Also do not miss the entire jellyfish building annex. there is just nothing in this world like it. Mesmerising.

You'll love it. Go there.
I absolutely agree.

It was also nice to go out on a boat into Morro Bay and see the otters in their natural habitat.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,796,552 times
I don't know if this is too late ... since it is April already.

But I would suggest the Pacific Northwest. There's so much to see and do here from a natural perspective. I could go on and on about it but there's so many websites with good information I won't bore you with the details here.

If you like the outdoors, the PNW is great.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,504,320 times
Default Solvang (English pronunciation: /ˈsɒlvęŋ/, Danish pronunciation: [ˈsoːlʋɑŋˀ]) (Danish for "sunny fields"[2]) is a city i

I'd recommend Solvang !

Quote:
Solvang English pronunciation: /ˈsɒlvęŋ/, Danish pronunciation: [ˈsoːlʋɑŋˀ] (Danish for "sunny fields"[2]) is a city in Santa Barbara County, California, United States. It is one of the communities that make up the Santa Ynez Valley. The population was 5,245 at the 2010 census, down from 5,332 at the 2000 census. Once just a village, Solvang was incorporated as a city on May 1, 1985.[3]
Continue reading article at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvang,_California

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-02-2012 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted - per TOS, post only a snippet of an article w/link

Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM

85 posts, read 112,415 times
Savannah, GA is definitely a fun and unique place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel