U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,612 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are leaving Christmas morning to drive from Harrisburg, PA to Long Beach, CA. I am an avid driver and drive round trip to upstate NY (650) miles twice per weekend (Friday and Sunday) every six weeks. We are going to drop our daughter's car to her in CA as she is moving there. We are planning approximately 1,000 per day the first two days (leaving about 4 am) and staying in Springfield, MO the first night and Winslow, AZ the second. Then the third day, we'll do 600 miles to Long Beach. Is this doable? I am used to doing 650 in 9 hours or less. So I am thinking about 14 hours each day the first two days. We'll then spend two days in CA and fly back. Let me know if you have ever attempted anything like this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 13,438,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbickford2569 View Post
My wife and I are leaving Christmas morning to drive from Harrisburg, PA to Long Beach, CA. I am an avid driver and drive round trip to upstate NY (650) miles twice per weekend (Friday and Sunday) every six weeks. We are going to drop our daughter's car to her in CA as she is moving there. We are planning approximately 1,000 per day the first two days (leaving about 4 am) and staying in Springfield, MO the first night and Winslow, AZ the second. Then the third day, we'll do 600 miles to Long Beach. Is this doable? I am used to doing 650 in 9 hours or less. So I am thinking about 14 hours each day the first two days. We'll then spend two days in CA and fly back. Let me know if you have ever attempted anything like this. Thanks.
Is it doable? In theory, yes. In practice? Probably not. Weather, crashes ahead of you and other things can delay you extensively. I'd SERIOUSLY consider the extra time (if you can afford it) to go South on I-81 to I-40 and run that over to I-15 in CA. I-40 is still subject to ice/snow but the odds are less than if you stay on I-70. Good luck and hope your trip goes well. Make sure your car is outfitted for winter travel, too.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Is it doable? In theory, yes. In practice? Probably not. Weather, crashes ahead of you and other things can delay you extensively. I'd SERIOUSLY consider the extra time (if you can afford it) to go South on I-81 to I-40 and run that over to I-15 in CA. I-40 is still subject to ice/snow but the odds are less than if you stay on I-70. Good luck and hope your trip goes well. Make sure your car is outfitted for winter travel, too.
Thanks for the advice. It's only a week away and we just had a wicked ice storm in Central PA. We'll have to keep an eye on the long term weather forecast and adjust accordingly.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:42 PM

326 posts, read 882,781 times
San Antonio TX to Lake Havasu City AZ in 18 hours (1100+ miles).

Old 12-20-2007, 04:56 PM

794 posts, read 2,347,133 times
I did Baton Rouge to New York City in 20.5 hours with minimal stops. (~1350 miles)
Took my time coming back. I'm already thinking about doing it again, but this time with a few more stops.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:30 AM

5,164 posts, read 10,329,354 times
Long day today... I drove 380 miles in six hours from L.A. to Berkeley to pick up my daughter. After having lunch, we turned right around and drove home - yes, another 380 miles, for a total of 760 miles! Luckily, she drove us all the way home. Heavy traffic doing 80 mph through the Central Valley in both directions, not to mention the most boring "non-scenery"! I'm sick of my car now!!!

And why did I do this? Because she's going to be here for 2-3 weeks, and she wanted to bring a bunch of stuff with her. Think I spoil her at all?!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:52 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,721,556 times
The longest I ever drove was from Shrewbury Mass, left on a Saturday night to just South of Fort Worth Texas. I stopped to sleep one time for a couple hours but it didn't last long since my car was VERY small. My parents were driving a truck along with me and at one point my Father took over driving my car and I tried to sleep in the back seat of the dual cab truck. At that time my Father had an accident in my car so no sleep there. There were a couple hours spent in getting the tire fixed somewhere in Tennessee. I arrived home in Texas in the early morning on Monday, dazed and confused from being so tired.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:36 AM

673 posts, read 2,290,336 times
We drove from Newport News to Manitowoc Wisconsin. That took us about 18 1/2 hours not including our stop for about 5 hours to catch some sleep in Pennsylvania. We thought we could go straight through but decided it was impossible for us. I cant sleep when my husband is driving at 2am!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:48 PM

2,522 posts, read 487,661 times
I've driven across country twice, the second time was last week. On the sixth day, I put in about 700 miles. Traveling in winter is hard work because of the cold, weather, and fewer daylight hours. I spoke with a trucker at one of the stops who said he drive x-country and back (Maine to California to Maine) every week. He put in 1,000 miles or more a day. I don't know how he does it...

Greenie

Old 12-23-2007, 10:34 PM

40 posts, read 76,139 times
Washington DC to Tampa, Florida in 13 hours and 20 minutes. This was using I-4 east to I-95 north, with the I-295 beltway around Jacksonville. Nothing too spectacular, but it's the only long drive I've done in the past few months, sadly.

I can't remember the exact time from Tampa back to Phoenix...but I recall noticing that I-10 is a very fun and fast-paced road in Florida, West Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. In Louisiana, even with the I-12 bypass of New Orleans, it just seemed that people drove at a more leisurely pace, and same with Mississippi. Alabama was slower because of that 45mph tunnel, and East Texas is mostly sitting in Houston traffic.

Anyway, I'll have to clock that drive on my next trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel