U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2011, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,036 posts, read 22,036,767 times
Reputation: 19909

Advertisements

I took a year out before Uni. Apart from that probably 4 months in a row and we do a month at a time every year in the Fall as well as our normal regular shorter yearly vacations .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2011, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,854,418 times
Reputation: 11319
Heck, I just moved to Europe instead of vacationing.
I travel about 40 weekends a year + over a month of vacation time.

I travel to SE Asia annually for a period of 3-7 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,464,371 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Heck, I just moved to Europe instead of vacationing.
I travel about 40 weekends a year + over a month of vacation time.

I travel to SE Asia annually for a period of 3-7 weeks.
How do you afford to travel almost every weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:58 AM
 
Location: California Mountains
1,448 posts, read 2,591,508 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Heck, I just moved to Europe instead of vacationing.
Yep, us too. Moved to Europe instead of travelling there all the time. Then after seven years, we decided it's time to move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 08:02 AM
 
Location: "The Gorge"
905 posts, read 3,070,492 times
Reputation: 712
The longest vacation for me was 91 days in '06. Before that I took quite a few 3-6 week trips. Leaving in 10 days for a 6 week trip to Thailand and either Laos or Cambodia or both. Still trying to figure it out! I am so ready to be there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,854,418 times
Reputation: 11319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
The longest vacation for me was 91 days in '06. Before that I took quite a few 3-6 week trips. Leaving in 10 days for a 6 week trip to Thailand and either Laos or Cambodia or both. Still trying to figure it out! I am so ready to be there!
I'll be in Thailand in January. I'll be seeing friends and staying in the mountains above Chiang Mai, mostly.

Luang Prabang is lovely and laid back. I'd recommend Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars as a side trip. This is a link to Site 1: Plain of Jars, site one. Photographed near Phonsavan, Xieng Khuang Province, Laos

Siam Reap in Cambodia is wonderful. Invest in a guide to see the out of the way places. Phnom Penh is small and interesting, fun Russian market. Make sure your vegetables are washed twice. Be aware that, in Cambodia, there are lots of people (young and old) walking around with limbs blown off from land mines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 AM
 
Location: New York
1,339 posts, read 2,256,135 times
Reputation: 1506
we did a 6 week trip around Australia and another 6 week trip through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia..... some of my friends would argue that since I gave up work at 35 to live in Hong Kong and have travelled with my husband when he travels for work (so an international trip on average every month) that my life has become one long vacation.....I earnt the nickname honeymoon queen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 AM
 
Location: California Mountains
1,448 posts, read 2,591,508 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
since I gave up work at 35 to live in Hong Kong and have travelled with my husband when he travels for work (so an international trip on average every month) that my life has become one long vacation.....I earnt the nickname honeymoon queen
Great choice of a husband too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 AM
 
Location: New York
1,339 posts, read 2,256,135 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Great choice of a husband too!
Thank you - and he cooks !!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,464,371 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'll be in Thailand in January. I'll be seeing friends and staying in the mountains above Chiang Mai, mostly.

Luang Prabang is lovely and laid back. I'd recommend Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars as a side trip. This is a link to Site 1: Plain of Jars, site one. Photographed near Phonsavan, Xieng Khuang Province, Laos

Siam Reap in Cambodia is wonderful. Invest in a guide to see the out of the way places. Phnom Penh is small and interesting, fun Russian market. Make sure your vegetables are washed twice. Be aware that, in Cambodia, there are lots of people (young and old) walking around with limbs blown off from land mines.
I never made it to Laos or Cambodia. I guess Vietnam took up so much of my time. I was considering going to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat but I needed another VISA and since I'm a novice traveller I wasn't sure how easy it would be. I should've just went. Met many who went to Laos, which seems interesting, but tbh is it that much different to adjoining parts of Vietnam or Thailand? Still worth checking out if you have the time I'm sure. You've probably realised by now how crowded Angkor and adjoining temples can get, but because of it's size there are quieter places (this is addressed to CRock).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top