U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-22-2011, 10:04 AM
 
Location: New York
1,339 posts, read 2,253,117 times
Reputation: 1506

Advertisements

I am trying to plan our last 6 months in the US and fit in the trips we decided are must sees.....

SO

we want to get to Las Vegas/Grand Canyon, Chicago/Mt Rushmore, Florida/Key West and New Orleans/Memphis/Tennessee for 2 weeks driving....

What order should I be putting them in so I get the best weather in all places??

I know there are lots of other places we would of liked to see but as time is running out we need to prioritize.... and its highly unlikely we will return to the US for a very long time...

Am also toying with the idea of doing a 3 week Caribbean cruise after the house has been packed and before we fly to Europe but this would depend upon if we manage to find somewhere to live before hand

Any advice ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,123 posts, read 17,129,667 times
Reputation: 9979
Las Vegas/Grand Canyon more or less anytime.
Mt Rushmore early to mid may.
Florida/Key West april/may (the drive down the overseas highway is overrated, fly directly into Keywest spend 3 days then fly out)
Chicago June
New Orleans/Memphis/Tennessee (Late spring April/May)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
 
Location: New York
1,339 posts, read 2,253,117 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Las Vegas/Grand Canyon more or less anytime.
Mt Rushmore early to mid may.
Florida/Key West april/may (the drive down the overseas highway is overrated, fly directly into Keywest spend 3 days then fly out)
Chicago June
New Orleans/Memphis/Tennessee (Late spring April/May)
Thank you - will prob do Chicago on the way to Rapid City as am just looking at flights and that will work out OK....

Florida is my least fave - I'v never been but it doesn't really appeal.... hubby has fond memories of a family holiday there as a child so its a must do for him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Reputation: 16496
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
Thank you - will prob do Chicago on the way to Rapid City as am just looking at flights and that will work out OK....

Florida is my least fave - I'v never been but it doesn't really appeal.... hubby has fond memories of a family holiday there as a child so its a must do for him

Florida is going to be a lot more enjoyable than New Orleans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 12:54 PM
 
Location: New York
1,339 posts, read 2,253,117 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Florida is going to be a lot more enjoyable than New Orleans!
well it's all personal I guess, for me its all about good food and music, I went to Universal studios in Cali and hated it. I don't watch TV so to go to a theme park about it is not high on my list of priorities.... nor is disney or space ships/rockets..... all feature on Hubbys to do lists....I can't stand queuing or children .... however there has to be some compromise and for me Florida it is....I just hope its not as bad as it is in my imagination !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Reputation: 16496
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
well it's all personal I guess, for me its all about good food and music, I went to Universal studios in Cali and hated it. I don't watch TV so to go to a theme park about it is not high on my list of priorities.... nor is disney or space ships/rockets..... all feature on Hubbys to do lists....I can't stand queuing or children .... however there has to be some compromise and for me Florida it is....I just hope its not as bad as it is in my imagination !!
haha, yeah , but I think your trip looks really nice, and there will always be places one person likes that another doesn't.

There's one little thing in Tennessee that I remember as a kid, I can't remember if it is Memphis or Nashville, but I remember there being a bridge over one of the highways, and its a restaurant ( i believe it is a wendy's , but I thought it was was really cool being able to watch the cars drive under)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 01:22 PM
 
Location: New York
1,339 posts, read 2,253,117 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
haha, yeah , but I think your trip looks really nice, and there will always be places one person likes that another doesn't.

There's one little thing in Tennessee that I remember as a kid, I can't remember if it is Memphis or Nashville, but I remember there being a bridge over one of the highways, and its a restaurant ( i believe it is a wendy's , but I thought it was was really cool being able to watch the cars drive under)


Your trip to Europe will be good fun too !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top