U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,256,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Maybe the relative "youth" of the Nation means they feel they must have some older lineagle to belong to , a way to buy into a romanticised heritage perhaps. Something of longer continuity than what maybe they consider too short a personal history on American shores.

I don't get it either. I think it puzzles most Europeans but I suppose whatever floats their boats.

As mentioned before I tend to find other people's genealogy more interesting than mine. I suppose not being someone for whom roots mean a great deal I lack that desire to explore my own story in depth. I am fascinated by more recent personal history because I see it as living history but anything beyond great-grand parents and I lose interest.

As an Archaeologist I find interest in history in general and do not see mine as more interesting or fascinating than anybody else. Because it has to do with me does not make special in my eyes. Special is as Special does so to speak.

It is a bit like the idea some people have that country they "belong" to is somehow better than others because an accident of birth meant they happened to be born there. I never was into flags and waving patriotism, and never into personal heraldry either.
I found my genealogy interesting because I grew up in roughly the same area My fathers family were all from so it was interesting finding out what they did for a living, looking at census info etc but only because I had perspective. As a child in school we learnt all about the cotton industry etc and it made sense.... (and also because there were some interesting skeletons
My mums family were originally Mc Naughton - Scottish, and moved to Ireland, then to England etc etc... It wouldn't even occur to me to claim to be Scot / Irish.... my Mum would either roll over laughing or slap me and tell me to get a grip....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,041,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
My mums family were originally Mc Naughton - Scottish, and moved to Ireland, then to England etc etc... It wouldn't even occur to me to claim to be Scot / Irish.... my Mum would either roll over laughing or slap me and tell me to get a grip....
I too have much Scottish/Irish blood and I am certainly neither though I love both countries !

I do understand why genealogy is interesting to people with a geographical continuity ( at least to a certain degree down the line ) but some people I know are literally obsessed with studying their distant kin and it bemuses me. A friend of mine is really into it and seem to derive much pride ( and chagrin) from whatever great-great-great-great-great grand-Pa got up to which is very odd to me indeed.

I always find it odd when people trace back their ancestry down a long long way and find skeletons which genuinely seem to upset them. It is as though for some people the fact that one of their ancestor in 1347 was a murderer or outlaw has a direct impact on them ! I suspect I would be far more chuffed having so really naughty people down my ancestral line, the stories are probably a lot more interesting !

Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,256,431 times
Quote:
I too have much Scottish/Irish blood and I am certainly neither though I love both countries !

I do understand why genealogy is interesting to people with a geographical continuity ( at least to a certain degree down the line ) but some people I know are literally obsessed with studying their distant kin and it bemuses me. A friend of mine is really into it and seem to derive much pride ( and chagrin) from whatever great-great-great-great-great grand-Pa got up to which is very odd to me indeed.

I always find it odd when people trace back their ancestry down a long long way and find skeletons which genuinely seem to upset them. It is as though for some people the fact that one of their ancestor in 1347 was a murderer or outlaw has a direct impact on them ! I suspect I would be far more chuffed having so really naughty people down my ancestral line, the stories are probably a lot more interesting !
I discovered in the VERY early stages that my father'r sister (whom he hadn't seen for 30+ years) was really only his half sister and her father was 'unknown'... thankfully he smirked and declared that it was clearly why he never liked her anyway...there were lots of people married VERY close to the birth of their first child.. if not afterwards.... I was highly amused by it all and told them they could never moralize to me again !! lol

I remember my Mum asking why I was putting all the effort in as 'they are all dead anyway' - sentiment was never her strong point !!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:13 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,546,756 times
I have two ancestral homelands, Scotland and China. Loved Scotland will definitely be back. As for China I don't particularly like the place and not sure if I want to go back in any hurry. Doesn't really feel like an ancestral homeland either probably has something to do with the fact my Chinese side of the family have been in Southeast Asia for over a century.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,483,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I have two ancestral homelands, Scotland and China. Loved Scotland will definitely be back. As for China I don't particularly like the place and not sure if I want to go back in any hurry. Doesn't really feel like an ancestral homeland either probably has something to do with the fact my Chinese side of the family have been in Southeast Asia for over a century.
Interesting. Which part of Southeast Asia was that? My parents are Singaporean and Malaysian but if you go back far enough they mostly came from China too. I've been to China, including Fujian province where most of my ancestors came from. There's definitely a cultural shock, of course, but it's such a fascinating country. I'm culturally Western/Australian anyway so I don't directly relate to anything in China or Chinese culture (my mum did cook Asian food, but more Singaporean cuisine. While I was born in Singapore and came to Australia as a baby I still do enjoy the food from Singapore and Malaysia a lot). I'm not sure how meaningful my Chinese ancestry is, but it's still part of my history. I don't really feel I belong to any country all that much.

I would probably relate more to going to the UK since that's my culture really. I only speak English, and of course most of my cultural input is from English-speaking sources. I still find the history and culture of China (and everywhere) fascinating though.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting. Which part of Southeast Asia was that? My parents are Singaporean and Malaysian but if you go back far enough they mostly came from China too. I've been to China, including Fujian province where most of my ancestors came from. There's definitely a cultural shock, of course, but it's such a fascinating country. I'm culturally Western/Australian anyway so I don't directly relate to anything in China or Chinese culture (my mum did cook Asian food, but more Singaporean cuisine. While I was born in Singapore and came to Australia as a baby I still do enjoy the food from Singapore and Malaysia a lot). I'm not sure how meaningful my Chinese ancestry is, but it's still part of my history. I don't really feel I belong to any country all that much.

I would probably relate more to going to the UK since that's my culture really. I only speak English, and of course most of my cultural input is from English-speaking sources. I still find the history and culture of China (and everywhere) fascinating though.

Singapore and Malaysia as well, and similarly I love the cuisine as well! Perhaps I should visit southern China as my ancestors primarily come from the Shantou region of Guangdong province, I've only been to the areas around Shanghai thus far.

Similarly I only speak English unfortunately and am not very 'in touch' with my Chinese side. I visit Singapore a lot so understand their culture quite well, of course Singapore's not China though.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 01-15-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Singapore and Malaysia as well, and similarly I love the cuisine as well! Perhaps I should visit southern China as my ancestors primarily come from the Shantou region of Guangdong province, I've only been to the areas around Shanghai thus far.
Yeah love my spicy food . How did you find Shanghai? That's one part of China I didn't see.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah love my spicy food . How did you find Shanghai? That's one part of China I didn't see.
Unfortunately my experiences were somewhat ruined by the fact that my camera was stolen on my last day there

Nice mix of new and old architecture, streets are reasonably clean and nowhere near as overcrowded as I'd have thought. Very diverse range of people as well from everywhere in China, just interesting to walk around and watch the street life. The smog there is even worse than I expected though and the environmental degradation of the surrounding countryside I find very depressing.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately my experiences were somewhat ruined by the fact that my camera was stolen on my last day there

Nice mix of new and old architecture, streets are reasonably clean and nowhere near as overcrowded as I'd have thought. Very diverse range of people as well from everywhere in China, just interesting to walk around and watch the street life. The smog there is even worse than I expected though and the environmental degradation of the surrounding countryside I find very depressing.
I had my phone stolen in Beijing. It can put a damper on things. Hangzhou and Suzhou look nice, is the countryside degraded there too?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,379,050 times
Quote:

I don't get it either. I think it puzzles most Europeans but I suppose whatever floats their boats.

Exactly. People in India and China probably also think the European idea of dividing up closely-related people into a bunch of bickering and warmongering nationalities is a silly idea, too. But Europeans don't seem to be puzzled by that, simply because they've become accustomed to it.

People grow up in a culture in which the sense of ancestry and cultural cohesion is what it is, no matter how much it may puzzle outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or