U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,675 times

Advertisements

Anyone not interested in traveling to their ancestral country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 04:32 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Well I guess my 'ancestral country' is China since most of my ancestors came from there. I think the last of my ancestors to live there left about 150 years ago. I have visited China, and specifically the area where my mum's ancestors were from. Even went to the village many supposedly came from. Needless to say it hasn't shared in China's economic miracle and was, quite literally a dump (piles of rubbish everywhere). I don't speak the local dialect/language of that region or Mandarin anyway, so wasn't able to identify ancestors or distant relatives. I would still visit China even if I had no ancestors from that part of the world, as I find the culture pretty fascinating.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:26 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,841,505 times
I'm visiting every country in Europe so the question doesn't apply.
It's not my specific goal, but it will occur.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:57 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,812,640 times
Well, my ancestral country (or one of them) technically doesn't exist any more since it got swallowed by the Soviet Union in 1945. East Prussia became just another part of the SU and they turned Konigsberg (one of the loveliest historical cities in Europe) into a concreted 1960s nightmare. I hear things are better nowadays but I really don't want to see it. My other ancestral home is NE England and Scotland and I've been there SO many times. I keep trying to persuade the family to buy some shack of a Scottish castle so we can claim it's our ancestral home but they just won't go for it

Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,254,784 times
I have 2 ancestral countries, one of them is Lithuania, which is very distant (3 generations), and also Brasil, and my grandparents came from Brasil. I am very interested to see Brasil, because I still have family there, and I was actually surrounded by the Brasilian culture growing up.

I will be going to Europe this summer, Lithuania would be cool to see.. but I doubt I'll go there. It is a little bit out of the way and I don't really have any family there, and not really any connection to it besides knowing that my great grandpa came from there.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:21 AM

793 posts, read 1,988,996 times
I have visited most of my ancestral countries, apart from Scotland.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 PM

817 posts, read 1,223,180 times
Default Switzerland

Being of Swiss decent...I would love to travel to Switzerland but, probably won't ever make it.

Probably off topic a bit but, if anyone would like to tell me a little about Switzerland, feel free.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,841,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Being of Swiss decent...I would love to travel to Switzerland but, probably won't ever make it.

Probably off topic a bit but, if anyone would like to tell me a little about Switzerland, feel free.
I'd recommend that you go to the library and get a DK (Eyewitness) travel book and maybe one or two others and read about Switzerland.
Then, look online for photos of places like Lauterbrunned (perhaps my favorite place), the major cities, and just search around.
You'll be pleasantly surprised at the beauty and cows.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 PM

817 posts, read 1,223,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'd recommend that you go to the library and get a DK (Eyewitness) travel book and maybe one or two others and read about Switzerland.
Then, look online for photos of places like Lauterbrunned (perhaps my favorite place), the major cities, and just search around.
You'll be pleasantly surprised at the beauty and cows.
Thanks chielgirl...I'll do just that.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
Half of my ancestry is from England and Ireland, and that fact alone never inspired me to want to visit those places. But the other half is from Lithuania, where my mother was born (but she came here in infancy), and I did go there for a couple of days in the '60s when it was a part of the USSR. I would like to go again, and spend more time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or