U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 01:09 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,242,811 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anybody has ever been to Malta? I think it is pretty cool how far back civilization goes back there and I was just wondering how much of the historical monuments have lasted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times
Tiny island - city in the middle of nowhere in the Mediterranean, packed with people (locals+ tourists), nature as such doesn't exist anymore . For those who are interested in ancient stones and old churches, maybe interesting.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
I had a manager who really hated to travel. His wife bought a trip to Malta and they loved it (for 10 DAYs!!!). They really enjoyed the people and safety.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:34 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,242,811 times
I'm not much of a traveler for nature, I live in Michigan and we have a lot of that here. I like to see really old architecture and artifacts from ancient times. If Malta doesn't have that, I'd probably skip the time and take a flight to a different city.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Just wondering if anybody has ever been to Malta? I think it is pretty cool how far back civilization goes back there and I was just wondering how much of the historical monuments have lasted?
I have been to Malta twice and really enjoyed both visits. First time I was there for work and didn't have a lot of spare time and the second time I was there on a cruise and just had a day. I think it is an island that deserves a longer visit.

The main town ... Grand Harbour/Valetta is interesting in its own right and especially the massive fortifications protecting the harbour. Also, the center of town and the cathedral is quite interesting.

The other thing we did was to take the local bus (an experience in itself) to Medina (cost 47c one way) which is a very interesting and ancient walled town. Enjoyed the bus trip there and spent half a day just wandering around.

I am sure there is more to see and we would certainly like to go back. We found that just about everybody speaks English and that prices were pretty reasonable (e.g. 47c for a bus ride).

Old 01-02-2012, 02:56 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
I haven't been there since the 60s, but there was one thing I noticed that impressed me: All new buildings were being made to look like the old ones, so when they were constructed, they blended right in and you couldn't tell the new from the old. I wonder if they still do that. I think I was there for about 5 days, waiting for the ferry to Libya, and rented a car and drove to Gozo, but there wasn't much remarkable about the place.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:11 PM

3,187 posts, read 7,068,473 times
We were there on a cruise stop also. We wandered into Valetta, had a great lunch by a lovely fountain, walked in and around some beautiful churches, went to some cool local food markets, bought some wonderful bread from an old man in the street, picked up some local wine and finished off with gelato.

We had a nice time I would have liked to stay for a couple days, but it was just the day. It seemed to me that many of the historical monuments were there, we were really jet lagged and in a bit of a fog but I was left with a good impression of the area.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
I do have one amusing anecdote from Malta. I was there during the opening of the 1968 Olympics, and Malta TV picked up the Italian TV feed, with Maltese studio announcers describing the event in Maltese (a thousand-year-old dialect of Arabic) as each country's contingent marched into the arena. The entire Maltese Olympic Team consisted of one man, a skeet shooter, carrying Malta's flag. The moment he came out of the tunnel onto the track, as the Maltese commentators excitedly announced his appearance in the far distance, Italian TV cut away for a commercial, so he was not seen on TV in Malta.

Historically, Malta probably suffered more than any other country in WWII. The Germans bombed Malta mercilessly, to try to rout central Mediterranean contingent of British troops, who took terrible casualties. 30,000 buildings were destroyed or damaged by the bombing, in a nation of 300,000 people.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-02-2012 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM

8,258 posts, read 11,121,603 times
Haven't been yet but the approach by sea is supposed to be one of the great sights (the fortifications etc). I only know two people who have been and they both raved about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or