U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 AM

606 posts, read 1,516,381 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever try this before?

For instance, let's say I want to fly from New York to Chicago. The cheapest tickets are $200. But let's say that I can fly from New York to Minneapolis for $150, and that some of those flights connect in Chicago. Then, it stands to reason that I might as well buy a ticket to Minneapolis (with a connection in Chicago), even if I have no intention to go there. This is, of course, nonsensical, but it's how airline ticket pricing often works.

Since I've never needed to do this before, I was curious if anyone had tried it and if there's any real downside. It seems like it wouldn't be much of an issue, in the example above, on the flight to Chicago; but might be a problem on the return flight.

Last edited by DiderotsGhost; 01-04-2012 at 04:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:31 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
Yes, The Airline will cancel your return flight, It will black list you so you don't do it again, and it can bill you for the full fare ticket for the NY-Chicago leg fare difference for the ticket you used.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,393,933 times
The airlines will most certainly cancel your remaining return flight. Trust me they are well aware of this possibility and have taken measures.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
the issue will be your return leg - it will most likely be cancelled or still based out of the city you didn't fly to (in this example)

If you booked NY-Chicago-Mpls then your return is most likely going to come from Mpls on a roundtrip or lower fare ticket ....... even if you book the return mpls-chicago-ny you will not be able to board in chicago if you were supposed to get on in mpls

the issue isn't so much getting off the plane a stop early as it is getting on the plane a stop late

airfare pricing is beyond dopey though

i had a situation once where I was flying from Elmira (NY) to Philly through Ithaca (NY) ..... now it takes a little under an hour to drive between the two airports and the flight was pretty much a takeoff then landing ..... very short flight

also, if you aren't familiar here is what the airport looks like

http://www.airportparkingdiscounts.n...ng-coupons.jpg

It's kind of like the airport from wings.

My layover at this wonderful place? - 4 hours

Absolutely mind numbing amount of time to spend there

My flight from elmira to philly wasn't cheap or super discounted, so it was obnoxious to have any layover - let alone a 4 hour layover

So I call up the airline when booking and ask about other options ........ since the layover was so long I figured "hey, I could drive the distance between the two airports, get there an hour early and knock at least 2 hours off my travel time for the day" ....... how much would it cost to book the ithaca to philly direct flight?

an extra $250 .... making the fare from ithaca to philly over $500 ........ at that same time I had recently flown transatlantic for around $300 on multiple occasions (this was a while back) .... even on it's own merit kind of hard to pay almost double to fly the exact same segment, but just less

they also made it very clear that if I didn't get on in elmira the rest of my flight would be cancelled, which immediately killed the idea about just showing up in ithaca

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-04-2012 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: copyrighted picture - post link only

Old 01-04-2012, 02:58 PM

213 posts, read 724,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes, The Airline will cancel your return flight, It will black list you so you don't do it again, and it can bill you for the full fare ticket for the NY-Chicago leg fare difference for the ticket you used.
What if a person has an emergency and has to cut his trip short?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
If Emergency, as in they take you off the plane in a ambulance in Chicago or have some type of emergency while connecting, The airline would know about it, or be easy to prove. Most airlines would be help re-write your ticket to allow you to go home from chicago (they would note it in your PSR (Computer record) , But you would need to prove you had sometype of emergency to the Airline (after the fact) in a letter to there refund department. After paying for full fare ticket back to NY.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,847,461 times
and to add to flyonpa post, typically the layover is short, so if you plan to fly to Chicago but buy a ticket to another destination with a stop in Chicago, your not talking days but hours to do what you went there for and now have to fake an emergency. I can see if you were ditching your partner and going for some quick nooky at a airport motel with a married friend and bama boom your in and out in a hour, but if you plan on an overnight stay in town with some wining and dining going on, the layover probably isn't going to be long enough to do normal things.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
Anyone ever try this before?

For instance, let's say I want to fly from New York to Chicago. The cheapest tickets are $200. But let's say that I can fly from New York to Minneapolis for $150, and that some of those flights connect in Chicago. Then, it stands to reason that I might as well buy a ticket to Minneapolis (with a connection in Chicago), even if I have no intention to go there. This is, of course, nonsensical, but it's how airline ticket pricing often works. .
Google the "Hidden City" trick.

It is fraught with issues, let me tell you.

What if your flight is delayed and they put you on a non-stop or on a connection other than Chicago?

You can do it using one way tickets. The airlines do not like it as they expect to see you on the Chicago-Minneapolis leg.

Personally, you generally do better playing around with alternative cities.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Reminds me of something I saw recently. Guy gets off the plane at DCA and tries to tell the gate agent his travel plans changed and his office has a car waiting outside and he needs his checked bags because they have expensive studio equipment in them. (uh huh)

He had been ticketed to someplace else--I can't recall where right now--but it was really obvious to everyone--including the gate agents that he was full of it and was trying to scam cheaper airfare.

They told him to go to the baggage office because they didn't have the authority to have his bags pulled.

My guess is that his bags ended up to where they had been checked to--or Singapore if he hassled the baggage people.

On the other hand about six months ago I saw a lady who had landed to find out a family member had died where she had come from when she turned her cell phone on. The airline bent over backwards to get her and her luggage re-booked onto the next flight back, even though she was at her connecting airport.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Reminds me of something I saw recently. Guy gets off the plane at DCA and tries to tell the gate agent his travel plans changed and his office has a car waiting outside and he needs his checked bags because they have expensive studio equipment in them. (uh huh)

He had been ticketed to someplace else--I can't recall where right now--but it was really obvious to everyone--including the gate agents that he was full of it and was trying to scam cheaper airfare.

Airlines are NOT stupid. They can see the stuff a mile away.

Where it is really a problem is when someone does this on a late flight. For example, on a late night flight from Chicago to Dallas with a stop in St. Louis. If the flight gets in late, the airline will usually hold the plane so that the passengers on the late flight all make their connection. Then the bozo who cuts out of the airport leaves. The airline personnel hold the plane for 20-30 minutes waiting for the clown to show up which never happens. The passengers on the Dallas leg is inconvenienced a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or