U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,046 times

Advertisements

in one last year i have traveled across 4 countries. But i have always taken advice from some travel agencies or someone who have also traveled their to get idea. But i can say the that i m Well-Traveled. Well- traveled doesn't mean how many no. of countries one cover in one month or so its the way, you plan how much success you get in each and every journey.

Moderator cut: signatures/advertising links not permitted

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-05-2012 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, Do not include "manual" signatures in your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 01:11 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
It's not a precise term. Like 'well-read', 'well-versed' in something. I would say to be reasonably 'well-travelled' internationally you've visited at least 10 countries, and explored at least 5 more than superficially. I.e. you've interacted with the locals, seen several destinations in the country, at least travelled by land.etc, not just been to one or two destinations in that country. Also, preferably, you've been to at least two 'regions' outside your home region (i.e. SE Asia, Caribbean, Western Europe).

I've only visited 8 countries, yet been to all 6 states and territories here in Australia and about 15 states in the US (I'm not American). I'm just starting out and don't considered myself 'well-travelled' at this stage. Although each country I've visited, I've seen a fair bit of the culture and have been for at least two weeks each time.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,046,933 times
I think it's relative and subjective. Think "in the eye of the beholder." I've been to a few hundred villages, towns and cities throughout twenty countries across six continents. When I'm out, I like the feeling that I'm on my own, and I just wander aimlessly to see what I can find. The language and cultural barriers to me are exhilarating, because it forces me to observe and learn. I do my best to immerse and blend without disturbing in my host city. I always eat the local cuisine and just hope it tastes good. In the end, I'm totally comfortable going some place I've never visited by myself.

I've been to more places than anyone I know, and they consider me well-traveled. However, I don't. And I think the reason is that I have a lengthy list of places I still want to see. If and when I complete that list, then I'll see where I stand. So, in the end I believe well-traveled depends on how someone interprets that term.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,713,141 times
My kids are "Well Travelled". They can converse about many cities and states, discuss major points of interest, how to quickly get thru a TSA line, they travel fairly lightly, taking only a small bag. They are familiar with staying in hotels, renting cars, using cabs, riding trains, and comfortable with people from other cultures who do not speak English, or speak English as a second language. They have done international travel as well.

I will admit to being quite happy to hear my daughter discussing the differences between the Holocaust museum in DC, and contrasting it with the memorial at Bergen-Belsen, with a noted professor at her school, who was actually quite animated in the discussion. Then, they started comparing Brazillian beaches with US beaches, Mexican beaches, and Carribean beaches. Then, the discussion went to art museums, and whether the Getty museum was on par with the Art Institute in Chicago. And whether Yellowstone Park was as good as Denali. Then, they compared the Washington Zoo with the San Diego Zoo.

I would say, she is well travelled, and knows a lot about a variety of subjects.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,335,685 times
Jasper12, are your kids adults? If not, then you must be one of the parents to whom those "500 Places To Take Your Kids Before They Grow Up" books are marketed. I imagine you live quite a materially comfortable life. It also seems like museums bore most kids. One memory that I am particularly proud of even today took place during the first trip out of Minnesota, Ontario, or Wisconsin that I went on, a four (actually five) - day trip to Washington DC. We visited the Smithsonians and various other museums, and while I was absolutely intrigued by almost all of them (other than the Air & Space Museum, which I found out of date at the time), especially the Museum of American History, the rest of my 8th grade classmates (about half of my class of 150 went on the trip) sat on the floor in their little cliques oblivious to all the exhibits. D.C. was filled with groups of middle-schoolers like mine, and they were sitting on the floor and chairs at the museums, too. And then when the flight was canceled and we had to stay another night in Washington (in another hotel, the Doubletree), I remember all of the boys and girls lining up behind the phones to call their mom and dad, the girls crying and the boys very disappointed! I was excited to stay another day! And I was much less traveled than most kids at that time - at least many of the kids in my mostly middle/working-class had went on many family vacations and flew before. There I was, up to then having never been out of Minnesota or Wisconsin (except for one brief two-hour trip across the Canadian border a month previous), never having been further than Wisconsin Dells.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
this is the most appropriate answer IMO. don't agree with the state of mind answers.
Neither do I. Examples of characters (which are probably numerous in real life) who I would consider "well traveled" without having the state of mind mentioned:

1) A businessman who flies at least once a month to far-off cities, but while there works, eats at the same national chain restaurants, maybe drinks at the hotel bar, and retires to his room, where he lays in bed watching TV on his Slingbox-connected laptop. He has been all over the country, but takes little or almost no interest in museums or "local culture".

2) A military service member who has lived at various times in Kyrgyzstan, South Korea, Germany, and Italy, but rarely ventures off base and does not speak any language other than English.

3) A person with an almost-OCD obsession with accumulating frequent-flier miles who flies almost every chance they get, but never ventures much beyond the airport.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 AM

6,154 posts, read 6,323,627 times
While I travel a lot outside the USA, it is all work related. I am slowly getting good at getting from country to country by train. A couple years ago I had to find my way from Brussels to Ostend (less than 2 hours ny train). It was my first extended trip to Europe. I had no clue how the trains worked. I was like a 5 year old getting on the school bus for the first time.

Around the USA I do consider myself well traveled. I have taken several roadtrips where the only plans I made in advance was knowing what day I had to be back at the airport for my trip home. More than once I would come to a highway junction and flip a coin to see which way I was going to go.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,179,006 times
Other than the obvious answer ("someone who has been to lots of places"), more importantly imo, someone who cares to mingle and learn about other cultures, which is ultimately what makes the best memories from a trip.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,713,141 times
Usually "well travelled" means "lots of disposable income". My kids have benefitted from having parents that travel for work...so, not lots of money, just parents who work in a lot of different places.

Which has benefitted them, my daughter thinks nothing oif being in San Francisco or Seattle alone, while her Dad is working, she can go explore. And her Dad arranges to meet her for dinner some place, like Pike's Market.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Usually "well travelled" means "lots of disposable income". My kids have benefitted from having parents that travel for work...so, not lots of money, just parents who work in a lot of different places.

Which has benefitted them, my daughter thinks nothing oif being in San Francisco or Seattle alone, while her Dad is working, she can go explore. And her Dad arranges to meet her for dinner some place, like Pike's Market.
I wish my parents travelled for work!

(Although maybe travel wouldn't have so much of an appeal for me then)

Your children should be grateful that they have been so many places and experienced so many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or