U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,331,160 times

Advertisements

I am 25, and have been on three "international" trips, two of them by myself:

- Costa Rica, 2005, 14 days
- Spain and Morocco (and France for about two hours, hah), 2008, 26 days
- Mexico (Quintana Roo, Yucatan, Tabasco, Chiapas), 2011, 24 days

I was intending on spending my last semester abroad in Ecuador in Spring 2010 before being diagnosed with a brain tumor the preceding fall.

I haven't been to many places around my own country, although I have been to Florida (was there for one summer on an internship and didn't even go to the beach!), New York, Washington, and South Dakota (in addition to Minnesota and Wisconsin and bordering areas of surrounding states). I've also been to Canada, but only for about one or two hours.

I have never considered myself well-traveled, especially around my own country (my parents very rarely took us on family vacations, because of pets and the family business). Yet some, on hearing me talk about my travels or seeing my travel pictures on Facebook, say I've been around quite a bit.

What do you consider "well traveled"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 AM

14,247 posts, read 14,134,918 times
Without wading into the subject too deeply I'd also say that it is the quality of the trip that counts just as much. I've been to a small island off the south coast of England maybe thirty times. I can tell you what the place of work was like but only ever spent one afternoon having a look around.

Similarly my wife has been to Hong Kong on business at least twenty times and I went with her once. I know HK better than she does.

Also, when you get somewhere hanging round the pool or hotel complex does not count as a meaningful visit.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,962,795 times
I think well traveled is someone who not only has traveled a lot to several different places but also got to know these places more than just superficially.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 AM

737 posts, read 2,247,855 times
Pre mass internet (1995 for us), we were the "poor" family in an upscale area, so no extra money to do a lot of travel. Thankfully, DD was/is an avid reader and I explained to her that she could go anywhere in the world through reading, and she did.

Fast forward a few years and we finally have the means and time to go on her first International visit to see a lot of what she had been reading about. She now goes as often as she can, new places, places already visited.

When we travel, we try to stay away from the tourist areas - cheaper and more of the culture. Attempts to speak the predominant language, if only a few phrases, really seems to help as we've found a lot of people we encounter like to test their English on us if we show an interest in their language.

Well traveled is what you think it is - for you and not necessarily needing additional pages for your passport.

Travel within the 48 is just as interesting versus going abroad as there are so many diverse cultures. My SIL never left Florida until she was into her forties and then it was NYC. For her, she felt well traveled as there are so many cultures in the NYC area.

So it is a state of mind, not what others say and not where you have been. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
I would say you are "well-traveled" when you reach the point at which you feel comfortable just buying a plane ticket and getting off the plane at the other end and getting by on your own, without any booked reservations or prior arrangements, with nothing but carry-on baggage. Well-traveled is a comfort zone, more than anything else, in which you no longer feel anxiety and alienation just bobbing like a cork in an unfamiliar place.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,631,596 times
Quote:
What do you consider "well traveled"?
Personally, I think "well traveled" definitely is a set of mind, enabling you to understand the culture of the visiting country and to install a knowledge about "behind the border".
You can visit 10 countries in a row within a cruise, but you will not get into contact with locals, not find your own way thru a city or visiting local stores, markets or restaurants so you can't declare yourself as well traveled.

It also depends on with whom you may compare yourself. Of course compared to people who never leave their own county, a person who visits NYC or San Francisco two times a year is well-traveled.

I would consider myself as being "well traveled", but other people may have traveled more. I have been to more or less every European country, many parts of the U.S. or Canada, but also to Russia, Uzbekistan, Northern Africa and a little part of Asia. I will always have to deal with people who are more experienced in travel, as I am only 24 years old, but I have years enough to come.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,524,350 times
"Well-traveled" = "traveled more than the people you're having a conversation with". Could be one trip or a hundred.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 PM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
One is well traveled when they fill up one passport book with stamp and visas and have to send it back to the Feds to get more pages stapled in.
3 international trips? haha, OK, I have 3 international trips in Dec and Jan alone (1 pleasure, 2 business). But it's a good start for 25.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM

519 posts, read 915,998 times
tvdxer - I would consider you to be well travelled. I can see why your friends think so.

It is absolutely a state of mind - it's about wanting to be well travelled and squeezing every last drop out of your travel experiences.

Sometimes people go to more places and travel more often but their apathy and disinterest leaves them 'poorly travelled'

Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
One is well traveled when they fill up one passport book with stamp and visas and have to send it back to the Feds to get more pages stapled in.
this is the most appropriate answer IMO. don't agree with the state of mind answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or