U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,012,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Mooseketeer calm down! I know you know your left from right, I know you know where Edinburgh is, I am just saying Edinburgh, Perth-shire, Dundee, Aberdeen, Perth, Fife, St Andrews, Scone, Berwick-upon-Tweed etc are all on the east coast. I know the west coast is stunning, but have you seen parts of Perth-shire, equally beautiful IMO. All I am saying is the whole of Scotland is breathtaking and beautiful. Yeah I'll give you the west coast, Skye etc is hard to beat but if you are coming to Scotland on holiday places on the east coast are worth the trip also!
I apologise for snapping but your post did seem a little flippant. I love Scotland but there is IMO nowhere quite like the Western Highlands and Islands. As lovely as Perthshire and other parts of Eastern Scotland may be to me they could never ever even remotely compete.

When we lived in Scotland because we had plenty of time to discover the whole of Scotland we used to spend week-ends in Perthshire, and on occasions Aberdeenshire but I still maintain for someone with a limited schedule missing out on the West Coast would be far more of a crime and crying shame.

I suppose it depends what you like. The Highlands and Islands are so breath taking magnificent that I would say it is some of the loveliest scenery anywhere on the planet. I really am not keen on the North Sea, I always find it so depressing and either grey or brown.

I also find the light on the East Coast does not have that diffusion which somehow filters in the Highlands rendering scenic beauty even more magical. Whether it is raining cats and dogs , snowing or bright blue sunshine the Highlands to me will always look so special and unique.

When we lived near Glasgow , Hubby and I always bemoaned the fact that Edinburgh was on the wrong side. If it had been where Glasgow is I think it would possibly be my favourite place to be. Edinburgh + the Highlands nearby would be perfection of urban and scenic beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,087,185 times
I am not disputing the fact that the highlands and islands are magnificent, they are. But me personally I have a soft spot for Perth-shire, probably because it is on my door step.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Everyplace is worth visiting if you don't play golf. If people would stop wasting their free time playing golf, they might discover that.

"A nice walk spoiled" --- Mark Twain.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 AM

14,247 posts, read 14,132,862 times
I go to France quite often but I don't play boules or eat frog's legs.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,110,394 times
i am planning a trip as we speak.

right now the agenda includes:
-going to fly into Edinburgh or Glasgow; Maybe even Belfast or Manchester.
-learning how to drive on the left side of the road
-learning how to drive on the right side of the car
-Edinburgh
-Glasgow
-Ft. William
-Skye
-Whisky distilleries

we don't plan to play any golf, though.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i am planning a trip as we speak.

right now the agenda includes:
-going to fly into Edinburgh or Glasgow; Maybe even Belfast or Manchester.
-learning how to drive on the left side of the road
-learning how to drive on the right side of the car

-Edinburgh
-Glasgow
-Ft. William
-Skye
-Whisky distilleries

we don't plan to play any golf, though.
Stick to the middle of the road and you'll be fine.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I don't think that will be a problem on most single lane little road in Scotland when there isn't much option to be on the left or right ! And those with no passing places will provide even more of an experience I suspect for Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus !

When we used to live up there we met this road rescue guy who told us he assisted quite a few Americans who got off the road trying to deal with single lane no passing places roads. It seems our little Scottish roads can be a little challenging to some visitors !

Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,110,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I don't think that will be a problem on most single lane little road in Scotland when there isn't much option to be on the left or right ! And those with no passing places will provide even more of an experience I suspect for Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus !

When we used to live up there we met this road rescue guy who told us he assisted quite a few Americans who got off the road trying to deal with single lane no passing places roads. It seems our little Scottish roads can be a little challenging to some visitors !
Thank god for Google Streetview. At least I know what to expect.

scotland - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Thank god for Google Streetview. At least I know what to expect.

scotland - Google Maps

And remember never to harry a sheep on the road ( or should I say a multitude of Sheep which is also quite common). Sheep in Scotland tend to be wilder and can panic quite easily.

And then of course the rarely seen but not to be forgotten Haggis....The Little Highland Beastie which can keep you on your toes ! Three legs , all of different legs can make it a challenge when encountered on steep and narrow roads... I am told its aquatic ability is quite unique though.

What is a Haggis?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And remember never to harry a sheep on the road ( or should I say a multitude of Sheep which is also quite common). Sheep in Scotland tend to be wilder and can panic quite easily.

And then of course the rarely seen but not to be forgotten Haggis....The Little Highland Beastie which can keep you on your toes ! Three legs , all of different legs can make it a challenge when encountered on steep and narrow roads... I am told its aquatic ability is quite unique though.

What is a Haggis?
And still in season until the end of January I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel