Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Is that your style? I mean it's totally cool if it is, not everyone is an explorer, some people just have their favourite spot they want to return to year after year. If so what's your regular vacation spot? Me, I plan on visiting a new place each trip...although if I have a favourite I might return 1 or 2 more times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,571 times
We do both: visiting a new place every year while at the same time, returning to the same place as a tradition (Alpine skiing, Christmas Market, annual festivals, wine trips, etc.)

To the extreme, several of my friends return to a country year after year after year after year just because of their love for said country. One of them visited Italy twice a year for the last 37 years, another, once a year for 15+ years. Many of my friends have visited Italy and/or France more than a dozen times.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,012 times
after moving out of bangkok, i continued to visit the city a couple times per year, usually 2-3 months per year. the past couple of years i have spent almost no time there, opting for other cities, countries, and continents.

it's still the closest place to home to me, but i doubt i will spend much time there in the future.

cambodia i guess is a major repeat offender for me. cambodian visas and extensions occupy the majority of my passport (mainly due to the fact that they take up an entire page). it's still a must for me whenever i return to mainland se asia.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:31 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Nope, I don't.. but my grandpa has over 500,000 miles on flights to Vegas. To each their own, makes no difference to me

Old 01-06-2012, 04:50 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,393 times
Not yet. When I was a child, my parents and me went to Corsica, France r for vacation every yea. For us children, this was a very good solution as they got a large house, lots of space, other children to play with etc.

Today, I want to see as much of the world as possible. I can imagine visiting the same places over and over again, when I'm older, because I've seen much of the world then and I know which places are my favorites. This really is a kind of luxury good when you can say one day "I don't care for Paris, I don't care for Vegas, I just want my Beer and Cake in Austria, let me happy with this". But first I want to check out the world, otherwise I would not know if there are even better places somewhere else.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:56 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
I want to see something new. However, each time a revisit a place, I find something new.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,571 times
I should have mentioned that the friends of ours who visited the same countries (Italy and France) do not visit the same area every time. Each year, they explored a different part of the countries and eventually, have become very comfortable with the language, culture, and customs.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
I should have mentioned that the friends of ours who visited the same countries (Italy and France) do not visit the same area every time. Each year, they explored a different part of the countries and eventually, have become very comfortable with the language, culture, and customs.
Good for them, Italy is one country I can imagine visiting maybe a dozen times in my lifetime, but honestly there are too many other places I want to visit too...

Old 01-07-2012, 05:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
That's sort of what we do, though it would be a rather large stretch to say that I am comfortable with the French language.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,975 times
We like to wander around but are drawn back to the same spot also. We fell in love with a resort in San Diego and we can not get it out of our system, MUST get my San Diego fix. Last summer we drove there, took Route 66, and made several stops along the way. We started in MN, went down through Iowa and Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and finally California.We took a different way home. Leaving CA, we went through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and South Dakota, we stayed four days in the Black Hills. That was the best road trip, we plan on repeating it this year and changing our routes so we can see some other things.
We are thinking of MN, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, CA. My husband wants to see the Royal Gorge in Colorado and the Hoover Dam. We saw the Grand Canyon and Lake Havasu City last summer, plus several other places. maybe we'll head for the east cost next summer, I'd also like to see the south, but since our vacation time is in the summer, I think the deep south is out of the question, too hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel