U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 PM

7,765 posts, read 9,065,451 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever traveled to the Camargue region in southern France? I will possibly be in Barcelona this summer and am curious what the logistics might be of taking a train from there to that particular region. What towns are close by where I might be able to take a train to? Also, are there many English-speakers in that part of France? While my Spanish is fluent I don't speak French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 04:47 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,953,225 times
I just visited both southwest France as well as north and central Spain.
Met many French who spoke Spanish, and vice versa. Lots of people speak at least some English.

We visited the Camargue region some years ago, didn't spend a whole lot of time there, but loved it. We did have a car. The scenery was subtle rather than dramatic, but very enjoyable. We saw the horses, bulls and flamingoes. We had spent the previous night in Arles and drove through the Camargue on our way eastward.

On our recent trip, we trained it from Toulouse to Pau to Hendaye, where we switched over to the Spanish Euskotren. I am sure you could figure something out from Barcelona, just make sure you find the right train at the right station, French and Spanish trains are definitely different, and at some point you have to make a switch.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:17 AM

7,765 posts, read 9,065,451 times
Thank-you!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,981,869 times
Arles is the closest major city to the Camargue, and offers bus service into the park. You could stay in Saintes-Marie-de-la-Mer, the only real town within the Camargue. Nearby Aigues-Mortes is worth a visit as well.

There are a few possible train routes between Barcelona and Arles, usually involving two or three changes. Check bahn.com - your online travel booking tool for rail journeys, holidays, city trips and car rental or Travel By Train In Europe: Eurorail, Eurail Pass & Train Tickets - Rail Europe for itineraries.

In the same region, you might consider visiting Nimes, Avignon, the Pont du Gard, Les Baux de Provence, Aix-en-Provence, or the beautiful calanques reached by boat from Cassis. My personal favorites are the calanques, Aix, and the Pont du Gard.

Closer to Spain, consider a stop at the Medieval fortress city of Carcassonne or the colorful seaside town of Collioure.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,980,377 times
Camargue is worth seeing.
Arles is the closest town. I guess an easy way to get there could be traveling to Marseille and then driving to Arles and the area.
As far as meeting people fluent in English... I'm really not sure many people speak foreign languages there, and if they do it might be Spanish. I worked in Arles a few years back and people were not into languages at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel