U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 AM

7,982 posts, read 11,667,446 times

Advertisements

I had heard that some people try to see all the National Parks in the U.S. as sort of a lifetime bucket list. I've though about this.
I also like the Federal Wildlife Refuges with driveable road 'tours' (since I'm older and not in the best shape I can't backpack or kayak for miles). I thought about trying to do them all, but I'm sort of undecided. If some don't appeal to my interests why go? But then seeing something you might overlook you might be surprised, keep your horizons opening. Of course money is an issue too.

Anyone doing this or something similar? Roller Coasters? ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,089,320 times
We hit ~a dozen+ National Parks, and nearly a dozen state parks on our 13,000 mile Road Trip this past summer.

For any reader, 62+, the NPS has a Lifetime Pass for $10. Yes, 10 Bucks and it only expires when you do. It must be obtained, in person, at any National Park, showing birth date ID. It is the travel/sightseeing bargain, imo. It also worked for free entry at every state park we rolled through, except for Watkins Glen, and even gave us a Geezer discount for day passes in Banff, Alberta CDA.

Many of the National parks we hit this past summer are $25 per entry, and if one wants to go in at sunset and back at dawn the next day, it's a pricey entrance fee proposition. Yes, the NPS offers a year long pass, but for any fellow Geezer, the Lifetime Pass is remarkable.

No, no lists of Parks; we just enjoyed rolling through them, seeing the sights, etc.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 01-08-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I had heard that some people try to see all the National Parks in the U.S. as sort of a lifetime bucket list. I've though about this.
I also like the Federal Wildlife Refuges with driveable road 'tours' (since I'm older and not in the best shape I can't backpack or kayak for miles). I thought about trying to do them all, but I'm sort of undecided. If some don't appeal to my interests why go? But then seeing something you might overlook you might be surprised, keep your horizons opening. Of course money is an issue too.
We have tried to see all of the National Parks and National Monuments over the years as we have traveled across the country. I am NOT going to say that it is impossible, but with all of the new ones in Alaska, it would be difficult and very expensive to visit all the fly-in locations. What complicates it for is is out inability to take a vacation during the summer months. I have been within 50 miles of Yosemite four times but always after the snows have closed the pass. Isle Royale and Acadia also fall into the category of wish to but have not.

Some of the best places that we have visited are NOT National Parks or National Monuments but wildernesses managed by the US Forest Service. Ruby Lake and Lemoille Canyon in Nevada are some of our favorite places. Also, there are some wicked state parks out there - Natural Bridge in Kentucky and Dead Horse Point State Park in Utah come immediately to mind.

The problem that I have with the NPS pass that Motordavid recommends (and it is a great deal), is that the NPS has started to charge "USER FEES".
You buy the pass but you still have to buy tickets to Mammoth Cave in KY and Carlsbad Caverns in NM. You still have to pay "TRANSPORTATION FEES" for those parks where there are shuttles like Devils Postpile NM. And the pass does NOT cover most places run by other agencies. It makes what is a "screaming good deal" into a mild irritant.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM

7,982 posts, read 11,667,446 times
JL your mention of wilderness areas managed by the forest service is extremely tantalizing! I don't plan on being in NV or UT anytime but maybe the state park in KY.....

I'm a little surprised not to see any other bucket lists. I thought maybe there would be a wide variety; all the big roller coasters or all the bourbon brewies, specific big car races, fishing certain locations...I haven't ever been a lister but I thought a lot of other people were.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM

5,283 posts, read 3,324,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The problem that I have with the NPS pass that Motordavid recommends (and it is a great deal), is that the NPS has started to charge "USER FEES".
You buy the pass but you still have to buy tickets to Mammoth Cave in KY and Carlsbad Caverns in NM. You still have to pay "TRANSPORTATION FEES" for those parks where there are shuttles like Devils Postpile NM. And the pass does NOT cover most places run by other agencies. It makes what is a "screaming good deal" into a mild irritant.
I'm also an American The Beautiful - The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass holder and have been every year for the last 10 years. While it does stink that there are added fees to parks, even when you are a card holder, but you have to realize how underfunded the NPS, USFWS, US Forest Service, pretty much the entire Department of Interior is.

I'm surprised almost all of the NPS Parks, Monuments, Historic Sites, etc. are still open to the public. You should write your congressmen and tell them you want more funding for the NPS and other units in the DOI.

Last summer while I was waiting to take the ferry over to Governors Island in NYC and stamping my NPS Passport, the ranger behind the counter told me of someone that they met recently that had been to all 380 or 390 (whatever the number is now) sites in the NPS except for the newest one then, which was Bill Clinton's birthplace home. That's the first time I heard of someone being to them all. Like yourself I had to shake my head, thinking about all of the remote ones in Alaska, where you have to fly in to get to.

I'm have about 100 NPS sites under my belt.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM

6,467 posts, read 11,557,737 times
I'm working on the all National Parks thing. Right now it's a "oh, we're going to be near there anyways," basis. I'm up to about twenty, and should be able to add another 5 or so in the next three months.

I'm also visiting every Ghost Town in Oregon. (HUGE list,) and I have a bucket list of sites around the world that I want to visit. Most are ancient temples and ruins.

I've been lucky enough in the past couple of years to cross off a large number of locations off both lists.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
The NPS used to issue a Passport book, and you could stamp yourself in every NPS facility, that had a stamp and ink pad in the visitors center. My girlfriend had one, and in two years, we stamped it in all 48 states, except a couple of states that don't have a NPS site. In those, we just stopped at a post office and had the clerk stamp it with a postal cancellation. I think national wildlife refuges had the stamps, too.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 957 times
We have been members of the National Park since our very first visit in 1998. Once bitten by the beauty of the parks; you return yearly to at least one of them! When we first joined we received a small pocketbook sized booklet that listed all of the National Parks, monuments, forests etc by state. This has been my point of reference through the years as I try to cover all of them with my spouse. If you think the parks are expensive, think again. even with a regular year long membership they are a bargain. You can go to any park in any state, multiple times, through different seasons. If you have ever bought a ticket to Disney, or any other large amusement park, you pay about 5 times the amount of a NP pass! And your admission days are limited. The parks have been unfairly hit with budget issues for the past few years but despite the cut backs, they are still as wonderful. We need to protect them as big oil, gas and coal try to figure ways to take them from us. They are one of our most impressive monuments and the main reason many foreigners visit the USA. They need to be preserved for the future generations.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,191,392 times
I love getting the National Park Association magazine.

And I still do the National Parks passport. Love my National Parks!

(I tend to like the National Reserves a bit more, less people, more freedom to move: Big Cypress, Mojave, etc)

Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 AM

83 posts, read 119,597 times
I am an art enthusiast, so for me the list is major art museums of the world. I am in my 30th, so I have plenty of time (I think)...

I have been to Paris, London, Amsterdam, Madrid, Vienna and Florence mainly for the Art Museums, have seen the Met in NY and the Philadelphia Museum, and three dozen other larger and smaller art museums in Europe and the U.S. On my list to see are Venice, Rome, St.Petersburg, Berlin, Washington, Bruxelles amoung others, but also a lot of small, unknown museums that I would love to visit.

I really am thinking about this as a kind of "collecting": all the great masterpieces exist only once in the world, it is great to see them in person one by one. There are so many wonderful art museums in Europe alone, and most of them just a few hours of travel away. So there is really no excuse not to see a couple new ones each year.

The only downside about this thing is this: many major European cities have a lot to offer! But when I go there on my own for a weekend, I mostly end up seeing nothing except for the art museum and the airport ... few would consider this a worthwile visit, but it makes me happy so why would I do it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel