U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM

180 posts, read 425,843 times

Advertisements

I love traveling alone. I take 2-3 solo vacations a year. I've traveled to large cities, internationally and have done multi-day backpacking trips alone, so you can do anything by yourself if you have the right mindset. Suggestions on places to go in the Southern part of the US....for city amenties and night life: Miami, New Orleans, Austin, San Diego. If nightlife isn't on the top of your list and nature & outdoors is your thing: Hot Springs, AR & the Ozark Mtns for hiking, canoeing, fishing. Northern New Mexico area (Taos, Eagle's Nest, Enchanted Forest, Red River area) for skiing, snowshoeing in winter and good hiking in warmer season. Arizona is another beautiful place to visit, Grand Canyon NP is stunning and there are tons of state parks to explore around Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It all depends on if you like to be alone or be around others.

If you want to travel with others sign up with one of those group travel tours.
Group tours are not for everybody. For the independent, impatient types they can end up being very aggravating, lots of waiting and time restrictions.

I've done a few of them, one was pleasant, the other 3 were aggravating.
You stop at a big souvenir store, along the way, and you wait and wait and wait for the last tourist to decide what they're going to purchase and then the long cashier's line. Meanwhile, you're in the bus cursing yourself for not doing it alone! And you dread the next stop on the tour!

I left a tour in Morocco, one time, had had enough!!! We all piled into this brass shop, and not being interested in buying anything (too much work lugging it home) it took over an hour for everybody to get done shopping and back to the bus! At the next stop, a Persian carpet emporium, my patience ran out!!! Went solo from there!

And there's those restaurant, group dining experiences. I'm a fast eater, and then you have a group of slow eaters, and there you are, another waiting experience!

If you go group tour, be very careful in choosing one, ask lots of questions, how many souvenir shops, how much time you'll spend at a certain site, etc.

Last edited by tijlover; 01-11-2012 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,118,694 times
Try Ireland, North and south. It's almost impossible to eat a meal without someone pulling you over to join their table. Won't happen if you travel as a couple.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,481,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post
Where the best place to travel alone IN THE USA (preferably in the bottom half of the country)?

Wheres the best place to travel alone internationally?
White water rafting in either W. Virginia or the Colorado River would be fun. You'd end up getting to know everyone in the raft with you plus your river guide and likely find something fun to get into when the rafting is over.

Internationally - almost any major city in Europe would be a blast. Stay at a hostel and you're sure to make freinds.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:48 PM

14,443 posts, read 17,374,738 times
I'm female and have the same question. I'm curious about safety.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,830,171 times
I'm an Older Woman and have been traveling alone for decades. Jtur provided good advice.
Sorry, posting from my phone.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 PM

379 posts, read 709,753 times
Atlanta Georgia has cameras from the airport to the train to the hotel room, continuous nonstop, if you like the idea of security.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 PM

410 posts, read 968,018 times
I love traveling alone too. Gives me time to think and plan and reflect on my life away from the hectic day to day life that is my reality. Like the OP said, most people I know either don't want to go anywhere or can't afford it. I quit trying to get someone to go with me a long time ago. When I'm ready, I pack up and go.

San Antonio is nice. You can use that as a base, explore the beautiful hill country and maybe go on down to the coast for some real seafood. Or, I've gone to Albuquerque and done the same from there--the things to do and see in that area are endless. This summer I'm planning a trip to the Ozarks--I'm just dying to check out the new Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM

38,873 posts, read 20,168,923 times
I have similar issues in locating travel buddies who can travel when I want to so I've discovered the joys of solo travel. Although I haven't traveled extensively, I have done the following solo:

1. Orlando, FLA: (mostly for the themed parks as that has always been my dream). I was able to get around via hotel shuttle service. If you decide to do Orlando, stay on International Drive as there are tons of stuff to do and there's a trolley (I-Ride) that runs up and down I-Drive. Just make sure that the hotel offers shuttle service to Disney or rent a car if you want to do the Disney parks.

2. Seattle/Victoria, BC: Seattle is easy to get around via mass transit and Victoria is just a ferry ride away. I would recommend if you are thinking of doing Victoria is to stay at least 2-3 nights in the inner harbor area so you can really enjoy the town. I was able to get 3 nights for the price of 2 through the Clipper Ferry so you may want to see if they have any specials available.

3. NYC: I had a great time and did most of the things on my list. My recommendation is to allow yourself more than 3 days of sight-seeing as I can tell you from experience, 3 days ain't enough!

4. San Francisco: Easy to get around via mass transit and you could easily see a lot in one day (although I recommend more than one day of sight-seeing).

You can DM me if you have questions about these locations.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,824,825 times
As far as international travel I would go solo to Canada and the UK but thats it for me. I have gone to other countries but with a friend.
If your looking for a southern state I highly recommend Savannah, Georgia. Its by far the most beautiful city I have ever seen. There is on particular bus tour that is excellent and their brochures are in all the hotels. It allows you to get on and off various stops so you have an opportunity to walk around. When you get off the bus and your ready to leave the area you wait at the location where you were dropped off and the next bus that comes by will pick you up. It sounds like it morning or afternoon type tour but if you want to get off every stop its at least a full day if not two days. I'm sorry to say I left it for my last afternoon in Savannah because I would have loved to gone again for a full day. The people are very friendly as well.
It really depends what a vacation to you is. To me its a time to visit places that I have never been and see the sights and museums, etc. If you like kid like fun and rides Disney in Florida is terrific.
Its rather difficult since you didn't mention what you like to do or your interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or