U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:49 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,385,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Seeing those famous paintings in real life does nothing for me. Already seen them a million times. I saw some famous paintings at the Met and I was like cool, it's a painting.
see there? Everybody is different. The first time I saw a Monet in an art museum (Philadelphia) I cried.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 06:52 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,838,555 times
I have been to the Grand Canyon enough times that it no longer inspires me. But relatives come to visit and that is what they want to see. Tombstone is only 18 miles away and it is underwhelming. The city fathers are either paving the historic area or tearin the paving up. Yellowstone was a disappointment the sulphur tore up my lungs and everytime we saw an animal there were six busses of tourists there before I could get my camera. Tioga Pass at Yosemite are the two most inspiring sights to me

Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Venice is OK to walk around in by yourself, and stay off the main paths.
YES--that's the best part, just going off on your own and getting lost. We seem to do this all the time, intentionally or not.

But time of year and day can make a difference, too. Early in the morning, San Marco is empty. Same with Carcassonne.

A few faves:

Stonehenge in 1974, before they put up the fence. It was late December, cold and windy, and nobody was there, very atmospheric.

The Prado (Madrid) in 1977 was mind-blowing, because I had just been in college learning about those paintings, and there they were in front of me. Ditto the Uffizzi in Florence. Aside from the wonder of being up-close-and-personal with Renaissance art, I was also struck by the size and scope of some of it. Seeing it in person was definitely unforgettable.

Much more recently, the gardens of Villandry in France really lived up to their reputation. I was simply dazzled, we walked around for hours.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Quote:
Seeing those famous paintings in real life does nothing for me. Already seen them a million times. I saw some famous paintings at the Met and I was like cool, it's a painting.
I had always felt the same way, but I once had the opportunity to go to an art museum with a true art buff. It was really fascinating, to have someone show you up close, what it was that Renoir was doing and what was exceptional about it. Characteristics that are not detectable in reproductions.

When we drove by the Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania we decided to turn down the road and see what was there. There were no other visitors, and one of the Leakys took a little time to show us around. Things become really spellbinding, when there is someone to tell you what you are looking at.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I had always felt the same way, but I once had the opportunity to go to an art museum with a true art buff. It was really fascinating, to have someone show you up close, what it was that Renoir was doing and what was exceptional about it. Characteristics that are not detectable in reproductions.

When we drove by the Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania we decided to turn down the road and see what was there. There were no other visitors, and one of the Leakys took a little time to show us around. Things become really spellbinding, when there is someone to tell you what you are looking at.
That is true. They open your eyes to the world of art. It's interesting to study all the difference styles and influences. I learned a lot when visiting the Guggenheim from the audio guide, next best thing to a real curator showing you around. I have a new appreciation for abstract art. Instead of a bunch of rocks, I know see a profound insight into the nature of the Universe.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,351,410 times
Quote:
That is true. They open your eyes to the world of art. It's interesting to study all the difference styles and influences. I learned a lot when visiting the Guggenheim from the audio guide, next best thing to a real curator showing you around. I have a new appreciation for abstract art. Instead of a bunch of rocks, I know see a profound insight into the nature of the Universe.
Exactly. A (good) audio guide makes art museum visits so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or