U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:30 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,118,694 times

Advertisements

The Brussels airport can be a problem. I was alone and the baggage check was downstairs from the ticket counter. I spoke with the baggage people and arranged to leave my bags and a couple of boxes there while I checked in for my tickets. When I returned, the boxes were missing. I had to threaten to cancel my flight and stay at the counter until they were recovered. Oddly, they reappeared in a few minutes. One of the boxes was full of t-shirts and tapes from the newly opened Virgin Megastore in Dublin. Apparently, they never left the airport. British Air reimbursed me but I would avoid that airport again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,588,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I guess most Vietnamese people work on the principle that you have to cheat people to get money because they're all stingy bastards.
That's one of the reason I did not mention Vietnamese on my reply to you about trustworthy people.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Two years before the Velvet Revolution, my husband was on a train from Prague back to Nuremberg with his 9-year-old daughter. The train stopped at a checkpoint; more than a dozen soldiers with machine guns came aboard. After checking everyone's paperwork and belongings with a fine toothcomb, they started questioning husband about his daughter. The soldiers spoke very little English and husband did not speak Russian (he spoke passable German, Spanish, and Italian, none of which was understood by the soldiers), but through spotty translation from the train's personnel and passengers, husband learned that the soldiers accused him of smuggling a child out of Czechoslovakia. (Under the control of Russian Communist, some citizens were granted temporary permits to be out of the country but their children must stay behind as a guarantee against defection.) The soldiers, some with their guns drawn and pointed at husband, refused to accept daughter's American passport and visa as proof. It was hours and many protestations from everyone on the train before they ceased the intimidation and let the train went on its way.

We did not return to Prague until almost 20 years later, but our second trip led to a third and fourth trip, bad experiences were all forgotten.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 01-14-2012 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 04:08 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In Vietnam, I found that the US$20-billl was the smallest coin in circulation. They just automatically demanded twenty bucks (or a multiple thereof), and if you tried to bargain it down, they just walked away.
Vietnam, dirt cheap in principle, but can be expensive if you're not careful. Thailand, base prices are higher but since they know more tourists have caught on to their tricks they're less likely to rip you off. There are always newbies and suckers, however. I was nearly suckered in to buying a holiday package at this 'government approved' travel agent I found out was a swindle. Thanks to the internet.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,539,912 times
On a bus to Shanghai on my way to the airport to head home I had someone go through my bag and steal my camera, all my photos gone The bus was full and everyone on the bus just turned a blind eye...

Old 01-14-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
On a bus to Shanghai on my way to the airport to head home I had someone go through my bag and steal my camera, all my photos gone The bus was full and everyone on the bus just turned a blind eye...
Dang. Camera can be replaced, but not photos.

Is not Shanghai known as City of Thieves?

Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,539,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Dang. Camera can be replaced, but not photos.

Is not Shanghai known as City of Thieves?
Certainly has a bad reputation for having more than its fair share of thieves/pickpockets. Need to be hyper vigilant over your belongings there.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,906,009 times
Had my wallet stolen out of my purse at the airport in NYC, only had some gift cards and my id. The rest of my money, i.d. etc was in another small wallet in a zippered compartment.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,830,171 times
One attempt on the metro in Madrid.
I caught them and kept yelling thief, thief.
They jumped off the metro, so did I.
I chased the woman, she dropped my camera - I picked it up, jumped in the next car with the two of them, took photos and kept yelling thief, thief...
The police came and I filed a report.

I'm not as well travelled as some, but live in Europe and travel almost every weekend.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 AM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
u dont have a theft problem u have trouble setting boundaries with strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel