U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 AM

8,031 posts, read 16,083,115 times

Advertisements

I lost $50 euros on a subway in Madrid. I know EXACTLY when it happened (guy bumped into me at a stop and promptly exited) but I realized seconds too late. I hardly fault crime in the city... I had been out drinking and instead of putting the bill back into my wallet (inside my interior coat pocket), i shoved it in my jeans pocket. I'm fairly certain it was actually sticking out. Dumb move on my part.

When I was a teenager, I lost my wallet on the Blue Line in Boston on the way to a concert. Fairly certain I dropped it with $80 and my concert ticket. Well, I managed to scrounge $40 off of friends and by a ticket at the entrance to the show. A few days later, I got a call from one of the MBTA stations saying that they found my wallet on the train. My $80 was gone, but my atm card (not debit and I didn't have credit cards) as well as my license, and all other documentation were still there. I was really impressed that they tracked me down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,351,410 times
I have thankfully not been a victim of crime (at least that I am certain of) while I was on any of my trips. I did have some (a small amount of) cash mysteriously missing in Costa Rica, but I may have spent that.

I watched like a hawk over my suitcase and carry-on bag as I struggled to find my hostel in Barcelona. I did not sleep on the plane that night, so I was carrying my extremely heavy suitcase and backpack on subways like crazy while tired - I hadn't slept for like 24 hours - until I finally found my hostel on the outskirts of Barcelona. Hiring a cab would have been too expensive, especially with the exchange rate then (about $1.60 = 1 euro).

I did lose my ATM card in Mexico on my third or fourth day there, but I believe I left it in the ATM machine at the first-class bus station in Merida. I called the next day to cancel it (from a noisy connection on a phone in the Merida Central Park, of all places), and was pleased to find out that nobody used it.

Somebody did, however, steal my new camera (purchased on credit), my GPS, and my expensive digital radio scanner (purchased used for $300) from my bedroom shortly after I returned home from Mexico. I also had my Ambien, which I was to take while in Mexico to help me fall asleep, stolen when I went to Wal-Mart to exchange a suitcase two nights before I left, as well as my next dose which I picked up upon arriving, my working car impounded when I got back, my other dose of Ambien and some cash stolen as well, and my used car (which was junk, probably worth $700). This left me utterly broke, and I am still recovering from it. I also had my camper stolen from me while gone (actually my mom's, but in my name).

Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 PM

328 posts, read 574,689 times
Attempted robbery by a syringe wielding junkie in Zurich. They told me not to cross through the parks but I was kinda drunk and tired. As soon as he brandished the syringe I just booked it.

Also, spent a day in a Burmese jail with two Germans because we wouldn't bribe a policeman. A restaurant owner charged us 5x what the menu said and we refused to pay. They never took down any of our information or anything. We ended up paying the bribe anyway. Was pretty much just an elaborate scam. Other than that Burma was lovely :P

Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 AM

38,084 posts, read 55,866,888 times
Yes. Airline crime! They lost my luggage. However they delivered it per courier a day later ...
No other crime, but I am pretty cautious.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:05 PM

12,327 posts, read 18,433,096 times
Europeans (and some asian countries) seem to have pick pocketing down to a science. And if you leave anything out of sight, it will dissapear in a second. Car break-in's are an epidemic. Throw that in the face of any of our Euro friends who talk about the US crime problem.

But anyways, I have one non-crime to event to show the other positive side. In England. London I think, I was trying to get money out of an ATM and for some reason I thought it did not work and was walking away when the British local behind me caught my attention and told me to collect my money. At least $200 in british currency, my withdrawn money, had spit out when I was walking away. He could have easily just pocketed it.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,245,467 times
I've never been robbed or a victim of any crime at home or abroad. But a lot of people I know have been, so I feel like it's just a matter of time...

Old 03-18-2012, 03:39 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,622,171 times
Just once in Paris, in a museum bookstore. I was in line to pay for a book, and since I was traveling alone, had not spoken to anyone in the crowded shop. However, when I got to the counter to pay, I spoke to the clerk at the window about the price, and used English. All of a sudden this older woman who was very dressed up, leaned on me heavily, while her little hands were in and out of my jacket pockets with lightning speed. I yelled to her loudly to "STOP!" And she ran off and met a well-dressed man in the lobby who left with her. They probably work in teams.

I had absolutely nothing in my pockets and was using a money belt for my cash. (My purse was a travel purse, strap was diagonally across my chest, and had nothing of value, but that wasn't touched. It was in front of me at the window to pay and could not be reached.) I had gone to the restroom before going to the museum shop, so I had taken my needed cash out of my money belt beforehand in the restroom, and I held the bills in my hand in the museum out of sight. But it was an interesting experience to have this well-dressed woman suddenly lean into me hard, and look for cash in all my coat pockets in a split second. I would have loved to have had a mouse trap (hahaha) in my pocket that snapped her little fingers!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:31 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,590,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes. Airline crime! They lost my luggage. However they delivered it per courier a day later ...
One year, British Airlines lost all of my husband's luggage (three 29" pieces -- this was 2001, before airlines charge for check-in.) He arrived in our home in Italy a day late (stranded in different airports) with only the laptop and the clothes on his back. It was Dec 23, and the temperature was -8C (17F).

I had to rush out to buy sweaters, jeans, underwear, and a coat for him. The luggage was found on New Year's Eve in Heathrow, Frankfurt, and Malpensa, one at each airport. All three were delivered to us in Umbria on Jan 2, more than a week later. No explanation was given.

BA offered $165 compensation, to collect only at Heathrow and only after he filled out half a dozen forms. Husband thought it was an insult; he tossed out the forms with a string of curses.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 03-18-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,333,724 times
Husband had pocket picked in Atlanta.

Held up at gunpoint on St. Croix, USVI, on our pre-move visit. I have never been more terrified in my life - and I'm a former cop. Then, adding insult to injury, the police insisted we drive to the station rather than them coming to us because it was a "long way" to the north shore. St. Croix is only 26 miles long and 8 miles wide, it wasn't like you would have to pack a sack lunch. We had NO CLUE where we were or how to get to where we were going. A horrid experience...and yes, we ended up moving there...

Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,015,695 times
Sitting around the pool in Rosarito Beach, Mexico, a waiter came around taking drink orders and I had to give the money up front. I gave him a twenty and when he came back he gave me change for a ten. I challenged him and had a big set to with him yelling at me. Called the manager over to settle it, which he did. Nary a word to the waiter for being so rude to a hotel guest.

Lots of theft from locked automobiles in Aruba and sometimes from hotel rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel