U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:25 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,668,403 times

Advertisements

I guess this could go into the 'true crime' forum as well, but it's travel related...

While waiting in line to enter the Mausoleum of Chairman Mao Zedong in Beijing someone pick-pocketed my mobile phone. I am sure of it, because I recall it being in my pocket while waiting in the line, and then fifteen minutes later it was gone. It hadn't fallen out (I'm sure I would have heard it) so am pretty sure it was stolen.

Also phone related. In Las Vegas, I was waiting at a bus stop when a guy comes up to me offering to sell me a cell phone for $20. I suspected it was stolen but didn't say it outright (Moderator cut: see comment he looked 'gangster', I didn't know if he'd take offense at that). After repeatedly saying no thanks he kept insisting. Feeling threatened in an unfamiliar place I finally said yes. I handed him the $20, then he said he just had to make a call on the phone. He went into some liquor store and I didn't see him again. I decided I probably wouldn't follow him in, and my bus came then anyway. I just wanted to get out of what seemed like a rundown neighbourhood.

In Vietnam I'm pretty sure I was again the victim of theft. After ending a motor taxi tour I felt distinctly uncomfortable with, the om driver snatched my wallet away and rifled through all the money I had, before I could say anything. He indicated how much he wanted and then gave me my wallet back. I paid him what I thought was fair, then noticed a 500,000 dong note missing. It was there when I took out the wallet - I saw it plain as day - but now it was gone. I did accuse him of stealing it but he denied it. I'm 90% sure it took it. I didn't push the issue because he was adamant, I didn't want any trouble.

That's about it. No violent crime to report, thankfully.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-13-2012 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: unnecessary comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 02:04 AM

56 posts, read 243,851 times
iPhone stolen by a waitress at Gino's in Chicago (famous for deep-dish). Was there looking for a house to buy. Horrible experience. So pissed at Gino's managment too. We had tracking on the phone and knew it was there. Last we knew it was by keeler and interstate.

Damn people. Get every app out there to protect your information and track and control or Phone remotely. Keep it lOcked and find out your imei code to call your provider with and will render the phone useless no matter what
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...obile_identity

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-13-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 AM

6,082 posts, read 9,592,300 times
Got pick-pocketed by street people in Rome once. I'd been warned they were likely to be there. They got one kleenex - used.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,678,520 times
iPhone got pick pocketed in Macau. Went to Macau on a day trip from Hong Kong, just as I cleared immigration at the pier and was entering the terminal a group of chinese dudes rushed me demanding that I take this and that tour with them. It took me about a minute to tell them I wasn't interested and to buzz off. After they left I noticed my backpack's outermost pocket had been unzipped and my phone that I had put in it was gone.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 AM

6,805 posts, read 11,848,786 times
Got pickpocketed in Spain.. after that experience, I keep my most important wallet in my front shirt pocket.. never heard of anyone getting anything pickpocketed from that location but u never know..

Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,051,591 times
Almost. I was in Rio on a pretty empty street and someone squirt something on my shoe. And coincidentally, an extraordinarily observant guy happened to notice I had something on my shoe, then offered to clean it. It was obvious to me there was something going on, and I could see a crowded area a block away, so I just kept moving in that direction. The guy kept following me, but backed off when I got close to the crowded area. Also, in Sydney I felt someone's hand going into my back (and empty) pocket, and I grabbed it. He pulled away quickly and disappeared.

So I never lost anything, but those are the only two incidents I've had.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
I was in Rio on a pretty empty street and someone squirt something on my shoe. And coincidentally, an extraordinarily observant guy happened to notice I had something on my shoe, then offered to clean it.
Same trick is used in Rome.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,850,175 times
A friend of my mother's had her entire handbag stolen in a cathedral in Florence!

Our car was broken into during a visit Up North in England - they stole a bottle of wine. Probably used their heads to smash the window

Old 01-13-2012, 04:13 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,836,727 times
No. I'm very careful.

Though in college I was on a bus in central Mexico with a friend. Crowded bus and we were separated by a few rows. A man sat down next to her holding a live chicken. She was so surprised she jumped up and changed her seat. Forgetting her purse which was on the floor. By the time she remembered her purse and went to pick it up her wallet was gone. As was the man with the live chicken.

Needless to say, since then I've been very wary of people on busses with any type of poultry.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,600,824 times
1- My wallet was stolen from the counter while I was busy checking in at Ciampino Airport in Rome. It was my birthday and I was on my way to England for a three-week holiday over Christmas and New Year. €800, all credit cards, Italian IDs, American IDs, all gone. Luckily, my passport was in the handbag. I arrived in London without a cent in my pocket.

2- Back in the day of the large lira notes, a rogue taxi driver in Rome tripled the charge AND switched the money. I lost ~ $150 on that ride.

3- The same thing happened to daughter a few years later. She lost €120.

4- In Italy and Chile, several failed attempts of pickpocketing/purse snatching in various forms of distraction. In a couple of those incidents, husband grabbed onto the culprit's hand, gave a true meaning to the term "caught red-handed." In one incident, I ended up with an exchange of insults with the Gypsy pickpocketer. She won, on the basis of her extensive vocabulary in Italian insults.

5- A rogue taxi driver in Rome took my son's fare and dropped him in the middle of nowhere instead of at the train station for the airport. He was stranded, had to ask a group of passersby to use their cell phone and called for help.

6- Someone stripped my daughter's watch right off her wrist in Madrid.

7- Again, in Madrid, daughter was harassed by a pensione's owner (while his wife slept in the back room); he did not take no for answer, she had to run for her life, literally. Room was paid for the week; she left after the third day.

8- In Paris, daughter was pushed flat against a wall (well, not quite flat since she had a huge backpack on her) and kissed senselessly. Then the man walked away. She never even saw his face clearly.

9- In 1969, husband was sitting on a bench in front of the tourist office in Stockholm. All of a sudden, he was whacked hard on the head with a baton by a police.

Husband: WTF. Why are you hitting me?
Cop (in English): Because you are a deserter.
Husband: A deserter? I have never even been in the service. What gave you that idea?
Cop: You are wearing a military jacket.
Husband: So what? It's a discard from my brother. He's in the service and in Vietnam. It doesn't fit him anymore and I am too poor to pay for a heavy jacket.
Cop: Then I hit you because you're sleeping on a public bench. It's not allowed.
Husband: Did I look like I was sleeping? I am waiting for the tourist office to open so I can get a room.
Cop: Your eyes were closed.

Then cop walked away. Not one word of apology. Husband sported a knob on the back of his head for a few hours that day.

10- On the street of Copenhagen, husband bumped into a woman.

Husband: Excuse me.

Then continued to walk. Not two steps later, he was slugged from behind by the woman's boyfriend. The boyfriend was in a frenzy, yelling in a mixture of English and Dansk that husband was making a pass at his woman. (Husband spoke passable German and understood though did not speak Dansk.)

The two men got into fisticuffs. Husband, while holding the man to the ground, asked the woman:

Husband: Do you speak English?
Woman: Yes.
Husband: Then tell your boyfriend I did not disrespect you in anyway and if he doesn't stop right now, I'll obliterate him.
Woman (in Dansk): ...

Husband released man. Man struggled to get up. They all went their separated ways.

There are a few more instances which we don't remember clearly; those above are the ones we still laugh about in our reminiscence.

That sounds like many bad things have happened to us, but we have been travelling for more than 40 years and between all members of our families, we have visited 150+ countries. By the law of average, that's not a whole lot of incidents. We have also encountered many good things, but that's not for this thread.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 01-13-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel