U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 AM

872 posts, read 1,641,113 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: see comment

- Boeing 777 is a nice aircraft, but on BA now there's apparently two
types of economy? What is the difference I wonder. Anyway, it will be
interesting to see if any airline starts heading the opposite
direction of MORE space and services for regular economy class.
Everyone's been heading the sardine box route, cramping more and more,
but if one breaks away and gives an alternative....anyway, I was
surprised by how smooth the landings were. Are airbuses louder? They
seemed rougher last time I flew to Europe (Air France/Airbus).

- BTW, what are some of the better Euro airlines? I think I'll try
Luftansha and Swiss next time I go out to Europe. British Airways
food is BAD. Very bad. Maybe it's because I was in economy. I like
Air France for their free alcohol, but their high profile relatively
recent safety incidents are a little worrying.

- ARe frequent flier miles better on a credit card, on an airline, or on an alliance? Are they worth it for one that flies cross-Atlantic only once a year, and locally (US for me) 2-3 times a year?

- Security at some airports is shocking. Like the guy at hte seat of
the x-ray thingy was sleeping and at another airport liquids weren't
even checked.

- Heathrow is not that chaotic of an airport, I like how airports are
strategically keeping airlines or alliance flights in the same
terminal. Makes connections much easier. It was my first time here,
and I'd expected chaos (because of the number of travellers, not
because of the airport) but was surprised by how smoothly it was. By
the way, speaking of airlines and alliances, which is the best
alliance? Oneworld, Star or Sky? What is the best way to get credit
for the miles that one travels? A credit card, the airline, or the
alliance? I'd like to take advantage of the trip I just had--thing is
I'll try and avoid British Airways on future flights.

- On long-haul flights, the wife likes the window. I think that's
insane. Gotta be on the aisle for long-haul flights....by the way I
love the window for short flights though. This means I often have to
sacrifice and end up in the middle. Anyway, nothing's better than
finding some rows with empty seats. Basically you fly business class
(in terms of comfort, not in terms of being pampered). People go for
the exit row? I think better to try and book in the back so you can
see what seats are open. We had five flights and on two of them we
were lucky to have extra space.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-13-2012 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: No notes to mods in the forums - send DM only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:19 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,566,233 times
Can't afford to fly anything but economy. We flew from NY to Italy with Iberia airlines because it was the cheapest, not a pleasant experience...we wouldn't fly them again...parts of the inside of the plane were actually held closed with tape

Ever look at seat guru.com?? They give you a map of each plane each airline uses, and the pros and cons of the seat layout of the cabin, such as this rowcof seats has more leg room, this row has no window, or no overhead storage, or is next to lavatory.

For our domestic flights, we have had the best results in terms of price, on time, etc, with Delta.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,111,843 times
LOVE Seat Guru. Honestly, I fly what is cheapest when on my own dime. European carriers are preferred over US, I'll take any of them- BA, Air France, etc. though I am partial to Air Bus over Boeing (I find them ever so slightly more comfortable). For work, business class, baby!

I rack up miles on my hotel rewards credit card where I can earn points for hotel stays, miles for airlines, or trade in one for the other. I usually use my Marriott card but also have a Hilton Amex, as domestically, I always seem to end up at Hiltons (for work travel).

Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 AM

12,393 posts, read 18,488,142 times
On international flights lots of airlines are going with an upgraded coach portion. Delta calls it "Economy Comfort" - a few extra inches and free drinks. It's available, at a cost. As a frequent flyer I get it free, at least for now. But Delta, and all airlines, are trying to moneterize everything, including it's FF programs.

As for the best way to get FF miles. Hell I think you can get FF miles for picking your toenails nowadays. It's all part of monetorizing their FF programs. Which does nothing but dilutes the value of the airlines FF program and makes it harder and harder to use miles, and all those miles will be worth less going forward. But there is this - usually (not always) the only way to increase your FF status is to fly. If you want to become a Delta Gold, Plat, etc, and get the pampered upgrades, seat selections, free drinks, sky clubs, etc, you gotta put in butt time in the air. Delta calls it "medallion miles", but all the airlines have the same deal, which is different from just FF miles.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-13-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM

8,607 posts, read 11,126,977 times
Economy plus is the latest trend, but it varies dramatically between airlines.

Most of the non-US airlines it is really more like business class light than economy plus.

US carriers it is generally a few more inches of pitch and maybe some cocktails.

There's a vast difference between status miles, which get you the actual flying benefits, and promotional miles/points, which you redeem for stuff/flights.

You want to know why that guy is always sitting in row 10 even though they're boarding rows 30+? Status. It's one of the few perks left for taking the aluminum tube now.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,571,959 times
How do I fly? The EZ way.

Pros:
No TSA
No long lines
No rude passengers
No fixed schedule (my plane has never left without me)
I can bring as many liquids as I want (but see 'cons' below)
FUN!

Cons:
usually slower than direct commercial flights (but almost always faster than non-direct commercial flights)
no restroom onboard
sometimes more expensive (unless I have a passenger to share the cost)
weather may cause cancellation of flight

Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 AM

118 posts, read 170,219 times
When traveling over sea, I like flying business class on British Airway. They have seats that fold flat into beds. This way I can get some good sleep before landing in Europe or Asia. They also feed you better food and Champaign/wine before the plane takes off. On connecting flights, you can use one of several lounges to eat, sleep and shower. You'll be well rested and ready for your vacation despite the time difference.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,749 posts, read 40,156,025 times
I miss flying upper deck 747-100 (5 rows of seats, 1 attendant, 1 bathroom, quiet, side bins next to seats for feet and stuff (handy on long flights)

Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM

38,285 posts, read 56,082,864 times
Usually by a plane. My broom is not very comfortable for a long distance

When I fly short distance I usually don't care about my seat. Depends of a time of the day, if I have a chance, I would prefer window ( love to take pictures ). If not, I would take anything except a seat in the middle of a row. For short distance most of my flights are business or first class anyway, because I use my miles for free upgrade, or the company pays for it. All seats are comfy there.
When I fly long distance, overnight, overseas - I always try to get the aisle, and no first row, or last row. Exit aisle are the best seats for me. Sometimes I can check and change my seats just before flight, because then the attendants knows exactly which seats are taken and which are not.
I noticed that a business attire and polite inquiry often gets me upgraded for no costs.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:51 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,553,840 times
Budget airlines are fine for me for flights under 5 hours, though I prefer one of the full service providers for anything longer. I always take a window seat if I can not only do you get a view but I find it much easier to sleep leaning against the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or