U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 AM

28 posts, read 119,504 times

Advertisements

It's at the Paris suites in NYC. It says to bring your ID and credit card at check in. I call today and the guy said to bring cash when I check in if my name dose not match the credit card because they don't charge you until you check in(I think he misunderstood what I ment, it was hard to communicate with him) Is this true? Should I just try to check in with the card or bring cash or what? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:04 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,416,311 times
Do you have a credit card (or debit card) at all? If you do, then you can use that. It doesn't matter who's card you used to book the room.

You can always try to use your dads credit card and your ID. Often they don't even look at the name on the credit card.

Worst case, you will have to give them a cash deposit upfront. So have cash on hand.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:15 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,217,358 times
I wouldn't worry, there was one time when I was driving to a different state non stop and my mom wanted to do something nice for me and booked me ah hotel without telling me. There were no problems at all with the hotel, this was I believe a Holiday Inn Express, but I could be way off.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:50 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,072,249 times
They don't really care as long as they get paid for the room and a credit card to fall back on in case of extra expenses. I have kids who live in different states and when I go to visit I ask them to book me a room. All they do is reserve the room with their card. Who pays for it can be them or me. Of course I pay for it and the charge to their card is cancelled. You can use either you own card or cash when you check in. The hotel just wants their money.
They don't care who pays as long as they get it.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:15 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,581,507 times
If the hotel is doing the right thing, you will not be able to use your Dad's credit card to check in since your ID will not match as the card holder. If your Dad is willing to pay for the room he could call the hotel and give permission. Many hotels will NOT accept permission over the phone because there is no way to know the card holder is the one on the phone. What many will accept is a readable fax giving permission to use the card with copies of the front and back of the credit card and a photo ID of the card holder so that the signature on the card and ID can be matched.

There's a lot of fraud out there these days and businesses including hotels are getting more and more particular about checking credit cards and IDs.

I work in the business and have for many years. Hotels not only, and rightfully, want to get paid. They also want to keep the payment and not end up with a chargeback.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:40 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,812,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky111390 View Post
It's at the Paris suites in NYC. It says to bring your ID and credit card at check in. I call today and the guy said to bring cash when I check in if my name dose not match the credit card because they don't charge you until you check in(I think he misunderstood what I ment, it was hard to communicate with him) Is this true? Should I just try to check in with the card or bring cash or what? Please help!
Many hotels have been known to accept cash

Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 AM

737 posts, read 2,247,179 times
Had to send a fax to a hotel once to give them the okie dokey that my daughter could use the card. I naturally have a scan of the front and back (as I do with all my credit/debit cards, passport, license).

Note the reason I did this is because she only had a debit card at the time and they told her if she used it then they would hold $300 on the debit card and then put the funds back a few days later. WTH?

They explained that because they had high end amenities (TV, linens, whatever) that they would release the funds to the debit card after the room "passed inspection". So their logic, in my mind, is "hey, we'll let the maintenance workers and cleaning people access the room after the guest leaves and if they steal, then we're still covered" - stupid.

Credit card is the only way to go with the appropriate authorization.

This story has a happy ending, she used my card AND she paid me back!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
When you use a credit card to book, normally that is only held as security against a no-show. When the reservation is used, the reception will then ask for a billing credit card, which should be in the name of the person registering. The card used for the reservation is never charged for the room unless it is a no-show default.

I do that all the time. When my wife is traveling, I make reservations a few hours before she arrives (for online discount) using my card, then when she registers, she pays with her card.

If you do not have a credit card, the person making the reservation with his card can request that the room be prepaid on that card, which I'm sure any hotel would accommodate, rather than turn away a client.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 88,916 times
My Hotel was booked on line thougth Hotwire,but it says i must have credit card at check in ,the room was paid for by someone else and i don't have a card. will they take the card numbers only with security code or can i post a deposit in cash for mini bar,ect ?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky111390 View Post
It doesn't matter which card it was booked on as long as it was booked with your name as guest. Obviously, you'll need a way to pay the remaining balance of the room upon checkout, and cash should be fine for that. But they'll also require a credit card deposit upon checkin to cover additional room fees (movies, snacks, room service, etc) and potential damages, as well as the balance of the room (they run the card for a certain amount to make sure you're good for it, but they don't actually charge you at that point). They will often ask if you want to use the same card it was booked on for that, so you could probably just say yes and it won't be an issue. But if they're doing the right thing, they'll see that the names don't match, and not let you do it that way if you don't have written permission to do so. At that point you would either need cash or your own card for that part. Upon checkout, it's easy enough yo pay cash if you prefer… you just need the card for the deposit at checkin.

Last edited by otterprods; 11-20-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or