Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is a big airport so, depending on the distance from one gate to another, 36 minutes could be very short. In addition, Delta have too few staff working the gates. As a result, they will close the gate even if the plane is still sitting there.

The above happened to me. We were delayed flying in from Phoenix and connecting to Ft. Lauderdale. We sprinted to the gate and got there about 15 mins before the flight departed. The gate was closed, nobody was at the desk but the plane was still on the stand. And the plane stayed on the stand for the next 20 minutes.

Delta customer service sucks!!!!!! They did not automatically rebook us. We had to either stand in a line that was a million miles long or use the courtesy phones to call for rebooking. We used the phones. The agent offered us a flight the following afternoon. I said no because we were going on a cruise and would miss it. The agent then found us the 'last two seats' (her words) on a flight leaving about an hour later. We got that flight and found that it was half empty. So much for the last two seats.

You cannot trust Delta to look after you if you are delayed and miss your flight.

Cave Emptor ...... Buyer Beware
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
You can try to make it, sometimes you have luck on your side and they'll either wait, or your first flight will be early. Just check to make sure there are a few other flights to your connecting city after yours. If you are bumped off or don't make your connecting flight, they will book you on to the next one. Good luck, flying just isn't what it used to be....

Old 01-20-2012, 06:07 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I would never book a flight that had less than 1 hour of connecting time. Just too much anxiety for me.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Last time when i came from Orlando i had a layover in Atlanta and had like 30 mins, so i walk to the gate and i see the plane just cruising away and they tell me we already took of your luggage and we have you on the next plane (which was 24 hours later), stayed at a business hotel a couple miles from the airport from my OWN money.
The travel agency made a mistake the people at the gate said but they deny it.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
I would consider driving to Atlanta and cutting out the flight from Augusta altogether.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 PM

115 posts, read 446,857 times
Definitely book a flight with a minimum of 1 hour connection. The gate agent at your connecting gate will not hold a flight to wait for any late passengers if only 1 or 2 are missing. Don't forget, you may have to gate check your bag. You will then have to wait as you deplane for the bag before you can proceed to the next gate. Of course it may work, however I would not suggest chancing it. If you miss the original flight, you are not guaranteed to be confirmed on the next flight if they are full.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:22 PM

34 posts, read 166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I would consider driving to Atlanta and cutting out the flight from Augusta altogether.
I would love to do this because it would save over $100 but this whole trip is going to be complicated, lol. I live just outside of Columbia, SC and would fly out of CAE if it weren't so expensive. Surprisingly, it's a ton cheaper to fly from Augusta to Chicago with a connection in Atlanta than out of Columbia. And from where I'm at, Augusta is only about an hour from me. I have a family thing in Raleigh, NC two days after my flight so I'm actually returning to RDU. There's no point in leaving my car in Atlanta and I can't convince anyone to get me to Atlanta or I would.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,092 times
Is anyone here really familiar with ATL terminal C and D? I have an airtran flight coming in on D11 and leaving out of C4...heres the catch my flight lands at 815 and my connection leaves at 850 is anyone familiar enough to tell me how long of a walk that is???

Thanks!!!!!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Delta, knows you are connecting. They will wait a few minutes for you to get to your gate. If you miss your flight, they know that to, they will re-book you on the next available flight. Just go to the gate where the next flight departs from, The gate agent there will re-issue a new boarding pass for that flight.
Keep in mind that the next "available" flight could be two days later.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTT814 View Post
Is anyone here really familiar with ATL terminal C and D? I have an airtran flight coming in on D11 and leaving out of C4...heres the catch my flight lands at 815 and my connection leaves at 850 is anyone familiar enough to tell me how long of a walk that is???

Thanks!!!!!
That's tight in my opinion. Arrival time means wheel down, not at the gate. Taxiing can add 10 minutes, and if your seat is at the back of the plane and you are one of the last off, that adds another 10 minutes. It's about five minutes quick paced walk from D-11 to the underground train station (you can't "walk" between terminals at ATL). Add five minutes to wait for the next train to arrive, load, and travel to C Terminal, and at least another five minutes to get back upstairs and to C-4 which is at the far end of the terminal.

If all goes perfect you might make it, but I'd try for a longer connection in an airport like ATL. You're definitely going to have to get a move on--no time for a bathroom break, to buy a magazine, nothing. Have your valuables in your s,all personal item, by the time you arrive at the gate the overhead space will be long gone and you'll have to gate check you carry on if it wont' fit under the seat in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel