Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:36 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are planning a small trip in the Southwest, probably in October (else mid-late September). We expect to fly to an AZ airport from San Francisco and depart by air to New Mexico (plan to spend time in Santa Fe and nearby attractions). For a 4-6 day stay in Arizona we want to spend most of the time in Sedona, with a day trip to the Grand Canyon. For reasonably priced accommodation (i.e. comfortable, but not luxurious), are we better off staying in Sedona itself, or perhaps Flagstaff? I see that Flagstaff has a much bigger population than Sedona, so would that allow more choices for accommodation? We are not planning to drive a rental car for the AZ part of the trip.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
What are you looking to do in Sedona?

Flagstaff would be a little bit better for the GC day trip - maybe a situation where you blend them (if you don't mind moving)

If you take 89a between the two cities it's a 35-45 minute drive - not sure I'd be up for that as a daily commute for recreation .... also, I'm not sure if the difference in lodging would be that great.

Sedona would also allow you easier access to some of the other nearby communities (such as prescott & jerome)

I think Sedona is probably a little better suited for the typical tourist crowd and has more resort like amenities

A lot will depend on what you are looking for though - there will be a difference in weather as well, although in the fall it may not be as pronounced

Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
What are you looking to do in Sedona?

Flagstaff would be a little bit better for the GC day trip - maybe a situation where you blend them (if you don't mind moving)

If you take 89a between the two cities it's a 35-45 minute drive - not sure I'd be up for that as a daily commute for recreation .... also, I'm not sure if the difference in lodging would be that great.

Sedona would also allow you easier access to some of the other nearby communities (such as prescott & jerome)

I think Sedona is probably a little better suited for the typical tourist crowd and has more resort like amenities

A lot will depend on what you are looking for though - there will be a difference in weather as well, although in the fall it may not be as pronounced
Thanks - sounds like Sedona will be the better choice. We just want to mainly take tours to some of the famous scenic spots in the general Sedona area - no hiking, just sightseeing and taking in the general atmosphere. Weather will not be a concern, as far as I can tell. The GC day might be longish but that shouldn't be a problem.

I guess we have to research the flight options from San Francisco - to Phoenix or Flagstaff would be the closest practical options I suppose?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Flagstaff is a touch closer - but will be a lot more limited in getting flights in/out.

Sky Harbor in Phoenix will offer the most options and usually the best pricing for major airports

If you don't mind playing the discount carrier game, Allegiant has direct flights between "oakland/SF" and Mesa Gateway Airport - which is in the eastern end of the Phoenix metro

The good is that the flights are direct, security is a breeze, etc.

The bad is that they do a lot of discounter games (booking fee, bag fee, seat fee, blah fee)

However, I'm looking at these prices and it seems like you can find some really good fares - after initial fees as low as $90-100 per person round trip

I'm not sure what Spirit offers - but they also fly into Mesa

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway

Depending on your schedule, there could be some interesting stops on the way out of town from Phoenix as well

Old 01-23-2012, 04:51 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Neither Sedona or Flagstaff will be very satisfactory without a car. And if you don't at least get out on the trails in Sedona, well, you're missing a great deal.

Last time I checked the only place you can fly to from Flagstaff is Phoenix.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Flagstaff is a touch closer - but will be a lot more limited in getting flights in/out.

Sky Harbor in Phoenix will offer the most options and usually the best pricing for major airports

If you don't mind playing the discount carrier game, Allegiant has direct flights between "oakland/SF" and Mesa Gateway Airport - which is in the eastern end of the Phoenix metro

The good is that the flights are direct, security is a breeze, etc.

The bad is that they do a lot of discounter games (booking fee, bag fee, seat fee, blah fee)

However, I'm looking at these prices and it seems like you can find some really good fares - after initial fees as low as $90-100 per person round trip

I'm not sure what Spirit offers - but they also fly into Mesa

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway

Depending on your schedule, there could be some interesting stops on the way out of town from Phoenix as well
Thanks, that's most helpful.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Neither Sedona or Flagstaff will be very satisfactory without a car. And if you don't at least get out on the trails in Sedona, well, you're missing a great deal.

Last time I checked the only place you can fly to from Flagstaff is Phoenix.
Maybe we can do a combination of walking and bus tour stuff in Sedona. We're keen to minimise driving because of unfamiliarity with driving on the RHS of the road (and it's clear that in this country visiting RHS drivers have plenty of issues, even on the many roads that have quite low traffic densities).

Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Sedona is beatutiful... probably even better in the fall.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
I've never stayed in Sedona overnight. I HAVE stayed, however in Flagstaff many many times. If i wasn't nailed down to where I live now, I could settle in Flagstaff with no problem. Motels and hotels are plentiful as it is an old Route 66 town. It's up there in elevation as the altitude there is 6935 ft. Some motels are better than others because of the train noise on the north side of town on 89A.

But if you are staying at the motels off Interstate 40, Butler ave. and the Lucky Lane highway exits have plenty of motels and rates this time of the year are reasonable. As you're coming in late September/early October, rates should still be ok!

I agree with the other posters that yes, you need a vehicle. And needless to say the Grand Canyon is simply awesome! Hope you have fun on your trip!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I've never stayed in Sedona overnight. I HAVE stayed, however in Flagstaff many many times. If i wasn't nailed down to where I live now, I could settle in Flagstaff with no problem. Motels and hotels are plentiful as it is an old Route 66 town. It's up there in elevation as the altitude there is 6935 ft. Some motels are better than others because of the train noise on the north side of town on 89A.

But if you are staying at the motels off Interstate 40, Butler ave. and the Lucky Lane highway exits have plenty of motels and rates this time of the year are reasonable. As you're coming in late September/early October, rates should still be ok!

I agree with the other posters that yes, you need a vehicle. And needless to say the Grand Canyon is simply awesome! Hope you have fun on your trip!
Thanks for that, will bear it in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel