U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,170,043 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an island in the Med that is accessible by ferry (I'm also open to a cheap flight) from Spain, Morrocco, Southern France, or Southern Italy.

I would like to take a few days, spending much of my time cruising around on a rented motor scooter visiting remote beaches, cliffs, and other places of natural beauty. In the town(s), it would be nice to have hostels, good restaurants, and nightlife. A minimum of resorts would be nice, since they tend to privatize much of the shoreline.

What island would you recommend for me? I enjoyed doing the above in Ko Phangan, Thailand but I'm by no means expecting anything like that in the Mediterranean. In fact, I'm hoping for it to be less developed and have more historical towns (stuff to do along with getting smashed).

Mallorca?
Ibiza? (my guess is there are areas to "get away" from the party)
Corsica?
Malta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 AM

24,830 posts, read 6,179,504 times
Of the three Balearic islands, I have visited Majorca and Menorca, not Ibiza. Majorca is
nice once you get away from the tourist areas like Palma Nova and Magaluf. It has a
beautiful capital, with much to see. Menorca is much more peaceful and less developed,
but with a lot of natural beauty, a couple of largish towns, and good food to eat. It's
a shame the Greek islands arn't on your list, as all of them are worth visiting. Plenty of
cheap scooters as well!!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Of the three Balearic islands, I have visited Majorca and Menorca, not Ibiza. Majorca is
nice once you get away from the tourist areas like Palma Nova and Magaluf. It has a
beautiful capital, with much to see. Menorca is much more peaceful and less developed,
but with a lot of natural beauty, a couple of largish towns, and good food to eat. It's
a shame the Greek islands arn't on your list, as all of them are worth visiting. Plenty of
cheap scooters as well!!
Well, I'd certainly love to visit the Greek islands! I was hoping to include Spain and Morocco in my trip though, so Western Med islands made more sense. Depending on cheap flights available I'll look into them as well.

Mallorca/Menorca sound very nice...lots of good seafood I'm guessing? Is it easy to explore around independently? Are the islands easily accessible from each other? Is there a good mix in age ranges these islands cater to, or do they lean one way to young/backpacker or older package tourist?

Uh oh, I'm already getting excited for this trip! ...and it's several months away...

Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,335,938 times
I would do Rhodes and Mykonos. Easy to get cheap fares out of Athens too and there is great ferry service. Crete is good too. Really you could do quite a few if you took the ferry from place to place.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 AM

24,830 posts, read 6,179,504 times
Both Mallorca and Menorca are easy to explore, just hire a bike, and off you go. On
Mallorca, the only really busy place traffic wise is the capital Palma. There are good,
cheap buses as well. Magaluf is the young people's resort of choice, everywhere else
is more family orientated. Good seafood as well. Menorca is much more laid back and
quieter, very beautiful. Greece is wonderful. I have visited four Greek islands. The one
I like best is Rhodes, it is just beautiful. My wife and I have been there ten times in the
last twenty years. We used to hire a scooter, which is a great way to explore. Have had
a car in recent years! We always stay in a village called Afandu, which is up the west coast
of the island. It's great sitting in the village square with a beer, and watching Greek life
going on about you. We've been to weddings and even a couple of funerals! The Greeks
are lovely, warm and friendly people who welcome you. Great food too.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 PM

The Greek islands are sounding better and better....I've always wanted to visit Turkey as well.

Anyways, what kinds of tourists do the Greek islands cater to?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,047,504 times
I believe some ferry routes are included with Eurail passes. You can check out their site directly to see what options you have, but here's a route map with some ferry routes:

http://www.eurail.com/sites/all/file...aymap-2012.pdf

Last edited by phxgreenfire; 02-02-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 PM

15,785 posts, read 9,534,533 times
My first thought was Greece also! More specifically, northwestern Crete where we spent a wonderful week or so a few years ago and then visited other islands and the mainland there. I'd love to go back and see Rhodes also. It has everything you mentioned except maybe not so much the nightlife - Santorini island has more of that, though.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM

This planning stage is so much fun! Apparently I can fly from DC to Istanbul and back for between $700-800. I don't really have a burning desire to go to Athens, so I'm thinking about going from Istanbul and making my way South passing through Ephesus. Then a ferry to the Greek islands....perhaps taking a short flight back to Istanbul. Thoughts?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM

I don't want to overdo it with the islands...2 should be plenty. Mykonos/Santorini? Santorini/Rhodes? Crete? How is the ferry travel between them?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or