Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,134 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from the Sacramento area to southern Colorado in February, driving a 35-year old propane-powered stepvan that I converted to a motorhome. I'd like to know the gentlest route to take, one that does not involve VERY steep grades. I'm thinking of catching I-40 to Albequerque, then 25 north into Colorado, and would like to avoid passes that would give me trouble in a heavy and underpowered vehicle. An example of my situation is found in going over Donner Pass in California on I-80, where I sometimes drop to about 25 mph during the climb from the Sacramento Valley. I get 6 mpg, so need the shortest and gentlest route. Any ideas? I'd like to spread my trip over a month, driving a minimum distance daily to save a lot of stress on my engine, and taking the time to pay attention to the places I travel through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
I think I-40E to I-25N is probably your best bet. You'll still have a couple of good climbs, but it shouldn't be as bad as I-80.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
If I remember correctly on I-25 North there is one steep climb up and down at Raton Pass on the NM/CO border but that's the only one. Not sure what the gradient there is but I went over it in a snowstorm driving a VW Cabrio several years ago and did okay.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
For starters, it would help to know exactly WHERE in southern Colorado.

Anyhow, if you're looking to avoid steep upgrades....good luck with that. You won't be able to. No matter which route you take, you're gonna have to climb up out of the San Joaquin Valley at some point, unless you're willing to go all the way over to San Jose, down US-101 to Los Angeles and then all the way down through Yuma, AZ to Las Cruces, NM and up I-25. Even then, you'll still have Raton Pass on the NM/CO line and all you'll have accomplished is to more than double your mileage.

The route you've chosen is probably your best one, but it's got long upgrades on CA-58 east of Bakersfield (40+miles), about 150 miles of general uphill from the Colorado River at Needles, CA to Williams, AZ, including 2 or 3 of 5 or 6 miles each, the steepest of which is just east of Ash Fork, AZ. That one is 5 or 6 miles of 5% grade. Then, you've got the 5 or 6 miles of 5% grade going over Raton Pass.

However, that route is pretty light on downgrades. In fact, there are only two which you might want to worry over.

The first is going down into Needles from Essex, CA. on I-40. It's steeper and longer than it looks and it's not adequately marked. A lot of people get into trouble on it by simply going too fast. However, it's easy to get around by taking the Goffs Rd. exit, turning left and following that around to US-95 where it deadends. Make a right there and it will take you back to the interstate at the bottom of the long hill. It adds about 10 or 15 miles, though, and you're not likely to meet any other traffic out there. Also, beware of the low water dips between the interstate and the town of Goffs where you cross the railroad track.

The next one is Raton Pass. It's farther down it than it is going up, but if you just slow down it'll be alright.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:43 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneofOne View Post
driving a minimum distance daily to save a lot of stress on my engine
Unlike the driver only stepping on the gas pedal, car engines do not get tired at the end of the day !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneofOne View Post
driving a minimum distance daily and taking the time to pay attention to the places I travel through.
Now that is a plausible reason to take it easy !!!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
IF you factor in all the wear and tear of miles and grades that you'll have to drive going all the way around the southern route ... you might be better off simply taking I-80 to SLC and then onward to Laramie, WY. From there, take the back road to Fort Collins and the head south on I-25.

There's no route that will completely avoid mountain passes, but the climbs/gradients on the I-80 route are less than what you'll encounter with I-25 coming up from the south and heading over Raton Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel