Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 AM

81 posts, read 310,646 times

Advertisements

Hello All - I tried searching for this type of question but did not have any luck. So here it goes...
I have noticed that flying to some cities via a stop in a "popular" city is cheaper than flying to the same "popular" city directly. (IE: Flight to Munich from USA: leave USA, stop in Paris, fly to Munich: 250.00. Flight directly to Paris from USA: 450)
So, has anyone ever bought the cheaper ticket, but did not get on the connecting flight? Any issues with this as far as getting back home, getting out of anywhere....any problems??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:37 AM

224 posts, read 777,397 times
I used to work as a corporate travel agent, but have been out of the field for since 2001. Back when I did work, here's how it worked...

All the airfares have a certain set of rules (what doesn't these days). It really depends on the rules of the fares as to whether you could not catch the connection. Most often the case - the lower fares are based on Round Trip travel, which means if you do not show up for any part of your outbound flights, you'll be cancelled off your return flights. So, if your fare is structured in this way, if you fly from the US to Paris but do not go on to Munich, there is a chance the airlines know what you are doing, and when you check in to fly Paris to US for your return, they could either 1. not let you on the flight as it's been automatically cancelled, or 2. (and this is what happens most of the time) they can charge you the difference between what you paid for the connection and what the current airfare is for the direct flight - and of course, it would be the airfare on the day of travel, which would probably result in a HUGE fare difference, as you'd be paying for a full-fare, no restrictions one way ticket.

Every once in awhile there are fares out there that are based on "one-way travel" and you can get away with doing what you asked. In the years I worked it very rarely happened, and to me it would be a huge gamble and I would not recommend it. What initially saves you $200 could end up costing $1000 or more.

Like I said, I've been out of the industry for some time, but I doubt this is something that has changed to drastically over the years.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:52 PM

81 posts, read 310,646 times
Thanks for that information. I will check the ticket limitations.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I've done this before if all I needed was 1 way. There have also been times when a RT ticket was cheaper than 1 way. I bought the RT and only used 1/2 of it.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:15 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
mlv289 that was an old trick that the airlines have definetly caught on to. If you leave at a stop before completing the rest of your reserved flight they WILL cancel your reservation for the remainder of the ticket. That means when you try to fly home on your return it will be TOUGH LUCK BUY A NEW TICKET time.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
mlv289 that was an old trick that the airlines have definetly caught on to. If you leave at a stop before completing the rest of your reserved flight they WILL cancel your reservation for the remainder of the ticket. That means when you try to fly home on your return it will be TOUGH LUCK BUY A NEW TICKET time.
Yes.
People did used to do it and sometimes get away with it, esp with international travel.
Not anymore.
And just buying a RT for a one-way ticket could be a sweet deal, too--but even that sure is looking expensive these days.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
There used to be a term used for such: hidden city fares. I worked as a travel agent for a few years back when "brick & mortar" agencies were everywhere. Pay sucked but the benefits were great . Being in Dallas and the nasty Wright Amendment we seemed to have the highest airfares. Literally this is what we saw on a daily bases: RT nonstop DFW to Boston for a business fare would be pretty close to $1000. RT from say Austin changing planes at DFW (getting on the same plane as the Dallas passangers) business fare would be more like $400. HUGE savings and it just did not make sense since the Austin passanger actually had twice as many flights/planes. LOL!!! The airlines knew about it and would watch. I know many people would go visit a relative/friend in say Tyler, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc and THEN book their flight to include that leg back thru DFW and on to their destination. In those cases you could check your luggage but on your return if you were getting off at DFW and not planning on making the connection you had to carry-on your luggage. I even know of some that would fly to the other city out of DFW or Love Field to the other city and get on a plane and come back thru DFW. It was crazy.

It has gotten much better and the fares for OW vs RT have gotten more inline with each other. You really don't want to book a OW ticket though at the last minute sometimes as it can be viewed as suspicious and put you thru some extra security searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel