U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 PM

160 posts, read 568,429 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am planning a road trip which will start in WA and end up in Ohio. The trip will take place in November. Any suggestions on routes? There are so many great things to see on the way - but also winter driving - so I would love to hear suggestions. Thnx!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 11:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,358,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgirl View Post
Hey everyone, I am planning a road trip which will start in WA and end up in Ohio. The trip will take place in November. Any suggestions on routes? There are so many great things to see on the way - but also winter driving - so I would love to hear suggestions. Thnx!!!
Sigh...I sure miss long trips sometimes! For routing, I'd suggest:

I-90

I-82

I-84

I-80 (U.S. 30 in ID & WY is a good alternate to I-80 if wind/snow conditions are bad; inquire locally)

My favorite shortcut: At Lincoln, NE, take Nebraska State Route 2 South to I-29 South

I-29 into Kansas City (U.S. 36 across the top of Missouri keeps you out of Kansas City and isn't a bad road; more scenic than Interstate 70; you could also see Hannibal, MO (Mark Twain) before taking U.S. 61 South into St. Louis. The Gateway Arch can be seen from I-70 in St. Louis. Stop if you have time!

I-70 East to your new Dayton area home!

Hi Girl, this is the "quick & dirty" first draft. Others will chime in with good stuff and I'll come back after I've had some sleep. (Also see other posts discussing what things to bring on a road trip. My personal favorite is carry the best cold weather clothing you can find!)

Old 09-08-2007, 10:54 AM

HiGirl, there's LOTS to see between Seattle and Dayton, as you'd imagine! Some of the things that immediately come to mind right on your route:

- Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 in WA can be tricky in ice/snow. It's about 30 miles East of Seattle

- An alternate to taking I-90 from Seattle is to go South on I-5 to Portland, OR and take I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge; VERY scenic!

- On I-84 in Oregon, just East of the 220 mile marker is a winding, steep grade called "Cabbage Patch"; can be tricky in snow/ice.

- I-84, Exit 71 (East of Boise) in ID has the Boise Stage Stop; GREAT food and friendly staff.

- If you don't bypass Utah by taking U.S. 30, the scenery is also pretty nice on the I-84/I-15/I-80 corridor at Salt Lake City. The Mormon Tabernacle in SLC is worth a visit.

- The Continental Divide crosses I-80 near mm 180 in WY

- The three mountain climbs of note on I-80 in WY are Three Sisters (between Green Rver and Evanston), Elk Mountain (near mm 255), and Sherman Mountain (between Laramie and Cheyenne) After WY, there aren't any more mountains along your route.

- Even if you don't have time to stop, the Great Platte River Road Archway near Kearney, NE (I-80 close to mm 275) is an AWESOME sight! It spans the highway like a bridge.

My wife says I'm taking her out to Mexican Food, so I'll continue later!

Old 09-08-2007, 05:46 PM

HIGirl, I just ran Mapquest and it suggests taking I-90 over to I-29 then I-80 over to I-74 then down to I-70. Considering that you'll be doing it in November, I believe my routing is a good compromise between the most direct route and the (somewhat) less possibility of encountering bad weather. (Ya could go I-5 all the way down to I-40 (via CA 58) to I-44 then back up to I-70, but that'd add a LOT more miles...) The I-90 would take you within an hour of Mt. Rushmore (S of Rapid City, SD and Ellsworth AFB) if you're feeling adventurous...

You could also drop down to I-70 by taking I-25 to Denver and catching I-70 there, but (IMHO) Eastern CO and most of KS is the most b-o-r-i-n-g stretch of Interstate in the U.S. of A. Besides, Denver is a nice city but the traffic from Ft. Collins, CO down to Denver is murder!

If you go thru Western NE on I-80, the HQ & main retail store of Cabela's is in Sidney. (Exit 59) Even though we're not big outdoors types, my wife and I loved stopping there when she rode with me on the truck.

One of the best travel tools I've ever owned is an "Exit Guide"! Available at truck stops, it lists the tourist-oriented businesses (food, lodging, fuel, etc.) at every exit on every interstate highway. It also lists the rest areas and even indicates if the exit is a left-hand exit or if reacess to the highway is difficult/impossible. I'm guessing it might even be available on a CD by now if you're lap top compliant!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Road construction note: In Indianapolis, the "Super 70" rebuild project is supposed to be wrapped up by November, so you may or may not be affected by it. The "Super 70" work zone is from the I-65/I-70 split in downtown to the I-465 loop on Indy's East side. You'll see several very large signs before entering Indy on the West side of town. Construction or not, taking the I-465 loop around the bottom side of Indy really isn't much longer and would be your best bet if the "Super 70" project hasn't wrapped up yet.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM

160 posts, read 568,429 times
Crew Chief - as always - thank you for the great insight. I am definitely going to look for the "Exit Guide" book or CD that you mentioned. That sounds like a great tool.

We are really excited about this road trip. A little nervous becuase of the time of year, but still, very exited. It has been a long time since we have had a road trip. [In HI, it is either clockwise or counter clockwise around the island.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel