Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times

Advertisements

In planning part of my upcoming trip (Sell, house, sell!), I checked four online maps to see how long it would take to get from my location in NC to Sioux City. The results: Google 19:31, Mapquest 18:51, Yahoo 18:19, and Bing 17:11.

So . . . allow for Google and hope for Bing? Anyone know which map is usually closest?

I did find that Google has me going an average speed of only 61 mph. Maybe Google figures in stops and Bing doesn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Why rely on someone else's idea? Do it yourself. You know how you drive and how long you stop better than any of those silly computer programs.

It's pretty easy to do: Mileage divided by expected average speed yields trip time.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
I know Google Map Logic adds in time for Red Lights, Left Turns, Stop Signs,
It factors in 'Going thru town' at a slower speed then the posted speed limit.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Those times are for actual road time only, and you know how fast you drive.

Assume it is going to be on interstates, so you can average about 65. Add some time for gas stops, and you know better than Google does how long it takes you to pee. Add some time for food stops, and you know better than Google how long it takes you to demolish a Whopper or stuff yourself at a Golden Corral.

I just googled Asheville to Sioux City, and got 1127 miles, and 18:26 driving time. That's 61 mph average. So it obviously does not count stops for gas or food. It should be easy to average 61, since it is interstate all the way. Just add whatever time you need to gas up and food up,

If Bing thinks you can to it two hours faster, that's an average speed of 69. How comfortable are you trying to do that?

My advice is to forget about all high tech devices (like internet mapping and gps), get in your car, follow big green signs with arrows to Knoxville, then Nashville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha and Sioux City. Give yourself two days, and stop at a motel when you get tired and eat when you get hungry and gas up when the needle points near E. Watch the speed limit, get off the road to rest a few minutes every couple of hours, and look way down the road.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-21-2012 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Well, yes, I've done the math. I'm assuming Google and the others have more information about the areas, and that they are factoring in that information. I just wondered which does it the best.

Why is it important? I'm planning a trip that's almost 2900 miles, and I need to plan my stops ahead of time because I will be traveling with three cats. Except for very quick gas and restroom stops, it will be hotel door to hotel door. If it were just me, I could stop when I wanted. So if Bing is right, I might go farther than Sioiux City in the first two days. If Google is right, I might not even want to go as far as Sioux City.

For now I'll assume the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
In planning part of my upcoming trip (Sell, house, sell!), I checked four online maps to see how long it would take to get from my location in NC to Sioux City. The results: Google 19:31, Mapquest 18:51, Yahoo 18:19, and Bing 17:11.
You're worrying about an hour difference? Must be a slow day where you're at!

No map site will give you absolute travel times. Each of us drives differently. Relax and enjoy the journey.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You're worrying about an hour difference? Must be a slow day where you're at!
Two hours and 20 minutes. Over an hour/day. Driving with cats, which means no real breaks. But don't worry, I'm not worried - just planning.

And curious. Maybe I should have left out my own story and just asked about the maps. No one else is even curious about the 2:20 minute difference between Bing and Google?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
I'm sure it's in the formulae somewhere. One may use actual posted speed limits, one may do it by road type and not take local differences in account. Eg. all interstates are 65, secondary 55, tertiary 35.

It's a general guide anyways. If you think about it, it's a 5% variance. That's not a whole lot.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I usually print a map and highlight my route. Next I figure out how many miles is my trip and how fast I have to be there. Then I start to chop it in pieces: but ... its up to your personal style how fast you will drive and how often you need to stop. With a help of a map, you can figure out where you want to make your stops - in a small village, in a town, in a rest area? Do you take your own food or want to stop& eat? The next question would be where? Pick a town and get a map of it, so you would know where the food is. Are you in a hurry? Or you don't mind to stop for an hour or more to visit an interesting place? If your route include passing through bigger cities, you must count with delays ( traffic, construction). Decide where you want to overnight, find a hotel, call for room availability and ask if they accept pets. You don't want to drive somewhere in dark and start to look for a place when you are tired and cranky.
If you have GPS you can program your route and get live info about traffic conditions, and the length of your trips between stops.

Good luck and have a safe trip!!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Google makes Google Earth. Just because of that I trust Google the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel