Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 PM

328 posts, read 995,937 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of taking a trip to the caribbean around aug-oct. What islands are less likely to be hit by hurricanes during this time? I remember reading the most southern ones are less likely to be hit than ones closest to the United States. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 01:42 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
I was thinking of taking a trip to the caribbean around aug-oct. What islands are less likely to be hit by hurricanes during this time? I remember reading the most southern ones are less likely to be hit than ones closest to the United States. Is this true?
Trinidad is supposed to be out of the hurricane belt. And Tobago, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaco mostly are. I just got back from Trinidad and Tobago and loved it. The problem is that we were there in the driest month and yet it still rained a little bit every day. Aug. - Oct. is in the middle of their long, wet, season and so it could be very wet. The ABC islands are dry islands and may be your best bet that time of year. You could also look at Venezuela's Margarita Island. It's also a dry island and is at roughly the same latitude as Tobago and the ABC islands.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Yes..the southern portion of the Caribbean is less likely to be impacted by tropical storms.

Aruba is a true "desert island"...very flat and little rain.

This year, with the warm winter and early spring....who knows when "hurricane season" might start....it could be early this year, too! It's all to do with the temp. of the ocean!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM

39 posts, read 113,957 times
I agree with the other posters, go with Aruba. Ive done A LOT of research on this spot and it is considered the least likely to get hit because it is outside the 'hurricane belt'. I think the Bahamas and the Dominican Republic would be a gamble. I live in the south / east coast, (right by the beach) and will say that hurricanes usually start brewing up right around mid to late August, so definitely play it safe

Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
We've done 4 dozen plus trips to the Caribbean, over the years, at many different times of the year; obviously 'Cane Season is a consideration,
but even studying historical data/'cane development and 'paths', it is still a crap shoot, imo, and no one can predict or, rec'd a 'cane proof area.

The lower islands, T&T and the ABCs do have less to few 'canes, however, historically...

Tobago is mountainous, lush and wonderful esp out from town, to Speyside, or Charlotteville. Exc SCUBA, ok beaches, if you don't dive...
Aruba is nice, but literally arid, exc 'beach' and lots of tourists. Curacao is similar, but has the very pretty town of Willemstad. Bonaire is somewhat
nondescript, but decent small beaches and very good self-directed SCUBA, if you dive. Rental cars are targets for robbers, however.

All the coastal SA islands are way down there, ~12 degs latitude, and thus the flight(s) are longer, often with connections.

In the decades we've been diving on almost all the islands, we have had rain and wind, but only one 'cane, and that was just the western arm fringes...
From the Bahamas south, east and west, it is a 'big area', and while we have our off the beaten track 'fave islands' we have simply never planned a dive
trip worrying about what the weather will bring, even during the long 'Cane Season.
GL, mD

Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
The ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) are located outside of the hurricane belt, as they are just north of the South American coastline. I have been to all three and they all have very different feels.

Aruba: the most touristy island of all 3. Most tourists are American. My least favorite of all 3 islands, mainly because it is the most overrun with tourists and most developed island. Great restaurants are abound but it is just way too tourist-centric and not enough local flavor for my liking. Beautiful island though and I see why people love it, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Bonaire: Great if you are really into diving and snorkeling and want a very low key trip. No giant Hiltons and Marriotts. Some people think that is its selling point, others find it a drawback.

Curacao: Not dependent on the tourist $ to keep their economy going so you don't have the tourist overload like you do in Aruba. It is my favorite of all three islands due to the mix of secluded beaches and great shore diving and snorkeling. There is also city life and/or beach resort life if that's your thing or you can easily keep away from it all. I mainly like Curacao best because it is a blend of the other two extremes- Aruba with its extreme tourist-overload and Bonaire with the extreme lack of city and resort amenities. Most tourists are Dutch with a handful of Americans and South Americans.

It really depends on what you expect from a vacation and what you like to do when on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel