U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 PM

409 posts, read 2,433,825 times

Advertisements

I'll be spending 4 days in Barcelona during late March. This is my first time in the city and would appreciate if some of you could help me out and recommend what places to vistit and take into consideration the short amount of time I have.

What are some of the clasic tourist attractions that are a must see!?

Also during the night I would like to visit some bars and night clubs. The thing that worries me is that I'm going during the middle of the week. What night clubs are popular during week days? What do you recomend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 PM

2,593 posts, read 5,289,910 times
Many people go to Barcelona in part to see the architecture. Start with Gaudi and go on from there.

If you are out late at night- watch out for the pickpocket teams. You can prepare for some of the tricks but best is to not take anything you can't afford to lose.

Having said that- Barcelona IS spectacular and well worth the visit.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,153,495 times
My only recommendation : don't go there unless you have a good preemptive plan to deter pickpockets, the nr.1 plague in Barcelona (like different pockets inside shirts and trousers)

Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 AM

12,291 posts, read 18,405,549 times
You can visit bars and nightclubs anywhere. But yes as one poster indicated the key appeal of Barcelona is the architecture, in particular Gaudi's cathedral.
Pickpockets are indeed a concern on La Rambla, as well as venturing out into that area, or at least the lower half, after hours when or near when the bars close, where the place is rife with crooks, drunks, and prostitutes Moderator cut: see comment.
Nevertheless, stay near the upper half of La Rambla to be near all the action. Also, I took this tour and really enjoyed it:

Barcelona Free Walking Tour - Old City (Gothic Quarter) Walking Tour - Runner Bean Tours Barcelona

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-26-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, notes to moderators must be sent by DM only - not posted within these forums!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,124,283 times
All the Gaudi architecture is great: La Sargada, Parc Guell, etc... I really liked Montjuic and the funicular up Tibidabo. We stayed in a fantastic hotel, Hotel Casa Camper, which is just down a pedestrian sidestreet from the upper part of La Rambla. It was a fantastic location convenient to transit and allowed us to easily access or avoid La Rambla depending on our mood. We also spent a few nights for the "work" portion of our trip at the Hilton on Av. Diagonal...I do not recommend the hotel or staying in that part of town if you're interested in being a tourist.

We were out all over the city day and night, including La Rambla, and never encountered the first issue with pickpockets. We did not take any extreme measures...just exercised the same caution we do anywhere.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:58 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,187,465 times
I lived in Barcelona for 5 months Sagrada Familia and Park Guell are MUST.

If you want good Spanish food STAY AWAY from most places near the beach or the ones that look touristy. For an expensive meal go to Cal Pep. I would highly suggest La Champagneria for a lunch. Make sure to have a menu del dia somewhere for lunch also. You will probably want to spen an afternoon walking around Las Ramblas and the old town, you should make sure to see the Santa Maria del Mar along with the Sagrada Familia, that should be enough churches. I also suggest the picasso museum if you want to see some art. If you are interested in the Olympics the Plymipic museum and stadiums etc.. are interesting. The Olympics changes the city a lot for the better.

Pickpockets are OVER the place. Keep and eye out, always keep your wallet etc.. in your front pocket. Be cautios of anyone coming up to you, especially if they are speaking english this is the first warning sign. They may say they love americans, they may say they want to give you passes to a bar, they may ask for directions. Just put your hands in your pockets and keep walking. As for weekday clubs, I suggest you may want to ask the hotel. There will be places that are busy on week days 100% just depends which places. When i was there Mondays were good at a place called "auto zukes" not sure about the spelling. Opium Mar was good on Thursdays. The clubs are spread out a bit the only place I remember seeing clubs together is by the water where Opium Mar was by the Olympic Village area. There were three clubs there so if you head there you can decide which one looks best.
The metro is great and you will take cabs at night. The metro closes at 12am on the weekday but I would suggest not taking it any later than 11pm or so. Taxis are not expensive. [SIZE=5] [/SIZE]

Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,196,286 times
Great places to visit include Parc Guell, Montjuic, Sagrada Familia, the Barrio Gotic, Las Ramblas, and the other usual suspects.

The Boquería Market is quite sensational--all sorts of colorful produce, live fish, truffles, and other goodies on display.

There are quite a few champagne bars (champanyerias) in Barcelona, so be sure to stop into a couple for a sip of cava (the sparkling wine or "champagne").

A good day trip to consider is to go to Sant Sidurni d'Anoia, the center of production of cava. Also interesting is a side trip to Tarragona, an old Roman site.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Yes La Boqueria is also a must. It is right off Las Ramblas.

I think one of the best things about going to Barcelona is the food, again make sure to stay away from "toursity" looking places. Go into a local bar and have a piece of Tortilla and some Patatas Bravas. Also remember dinner is late around 9pm or so. If a place is open before 8pm for dinner it is probably not that great.

If you are a soccer fan at all or really just a sports fan I suggest you go to Camp Nou where the Barcelona Football (soccer) team plays. Take the stadium tour and see the Barca Museum it is great. If there is a game there while you are there you most certainly should go as long as its not too big of a game and it is not too expensive.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 PM

106 posts, read 318,255 times
Definitely La Rambla (main street in the heart of the city, normally lots of tourists). The beach is also pretty gorgeous and there are 3 or 4 major clubs down there. Gaudi is a must see. And if you can I suggest renting a bike, you can cover a lot of ground and do a lot of sightseeing within a day's time with it.

I've always read guides and warning about pickpockets all the time, but me and my friends were never mugged or had an attempt happen. The natives there will eye tourists like an easy target and they will pick them wisely if they do pickpocket. Just don't behave like a dumb tourist flashing your camera everywhere and whipping out maps everywhere you go. Be self-sufficient and you shouldn't have any problems. By my second day I got my bearings and got to most places around my hotel without a map unless I needed to see a historic sight or leave the general area.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody69 View Post
I've always read guides and warning about pickpockets all the time, but me and my friends were never mugged or had an attempt happen. The natives there will eye tourists like an easy target and they will pick them wisely if they do pickpocket. Just don't behave like a dumb tourist flashing your camera everywhere and whipping out maps everywhere you go. Be self-sufficient and you shouldn't have any problems. By my second day I got my bearings and got to most places around my hotel without a map unless I needed to see a historic sight or leave the general area.
Good advice, just use good common sense. But trust me after spending 5 months there the pickpockets are ALL OVER the tourist areas especially Las Ramblas and the small old town streets. I was approached a few times by them, bascially told them go get away from me in a not so polite way. Had one friend visiting for just a few days, a pickpocket guy came up took stuff out of his back pocket. Two Spanish girls came running to use telling us what they saw. What was in his back pocket?
A pack of gum, nice grab by them

If you keep stuff in your front pocket and just don't let people trying to talk to you near you etc.. You will be fine. Exactly what I did and I was fine. I will say I knew a very good amount of people who were robbed/pick pocketed while living there.

Just use common sense and don't use public transit if you had too much to drink. A friend of mine had to learn the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel