Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times

Advertisements

One serious advisement - watch out for the bicycle hordes and don't wander on the bicycle lanes! You can easily get run over. I'm not kidding, you've been warned. That is especially pertinent if you're going to toke and then wander around.

A great way to see the city is via any of the many canal boat tours. Say "Hi" to house number 7 for me, you've got to see it to believe it.

We're going back in Sept., its a really cool city. The trams are great for getting around. Enjoy your visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 AM

169 posts, read 237,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its a fun city to visit. I would suggest the following:

1. Van Gogh Museum.

2. Riiks Museum.

3. Anne Frank House.

4. Canal Cruise.

5. Get out and walk. The city is full of diverse shops along alleyways that go block after block. Its not the shopping that as interesting as just looking at everything.

6. You may want to consider a day trip by bus out to the countryside where you see windmills and Dutch fishing villages.
noted. thanks!!!!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Make that :
Get out and walk, or rent a bike.

As soon as you get there, visit the VVV info place and get ideas there.

Many places north of A'dam that are worthwhile visiting.

Put this in your search bar:
things going on in Amsterdam in June

Since *you* called it 420 Mecca, check this out
10 things to do in Amsterdam BESIDES smoking pot | Matador Network

Nice! thanks!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Drop an e-mail to the young woman who runs this blog. She lived in ,and still visits, Europe often. Nice lady......

Lovely Bicycle!

Will do thanks!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
That'll never happen. And if it does it won't be enforced.

OP, the cool thing about Amsterdam is that it isn't real big, put on your walking shoes and get going. Discover the city. It was by far the best city to travel alone.

At the coffee shops everyone was ultra friendly, I'd have tables of people invite me over when they saw me sitting by myself. A lot of them dont want you to pass it. Everyone just kinda smokes their own.

And at the bars, do not try to keep up and drink beer for beer with German tourists. You might mess around and die

good info thanks.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:54 PM

36 posts, read 85,174 times
Markg pretty much hit the imperatives...

The museums are not to be missed!!

Depending on how "historical" you want your visit to be, I'd make one more recommendation and that is to see the Corrie Ten Boom House in Haarlem (a short train ride out of Amsterdam). Note that it is religious in nature but none the less amazing. She was a Christian lady that turned her house into a safe house for Jews during the war and with her family was arrested and put in the camps. It is pretty amazing to see how she managed to rescue so many.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondsquirrel View Post
Markg pretty much hit the imperatives...

The museums are not to be missed!!

Depending on how "historical" you want your visit to be, I'd make one more recommendation and that is to see the Corrie Ten Boom House in Haarlem (a short train ride out of Amsterdam). Note that it is religious in nature but none the less amazing. She was a Christian lady that turned her house into a safe house for Jews during the war and with her family was arrested and put in the camps. It is pretty amazing to see how she managed to rescue so many.
cool. will do

Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Don't forget that the streets (and canals) make a series of U shapes, so if you walk down a street after smoking out, remember you are not walking in a straight line. It's easy to walk in circles if you're not paying attention.

I'm not typically a big fan of live comedy, but the Comedy Theater was hilarious and it's in a cool building in a great area. I'm sure you'll find a flyer for it somewhere. We stumbled out of there into a cool piano bar and had a blast.

Nice athmosphere, great night out - Review of Comedy Theater, Amsterdam, The Netherlands - TripAdvisor

Enjoy your trip!!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Don't forget that the streets (and canals) make a series of U shapes, so if you walk down a street after smoking out, remember you are not walking in a straight line. It's easy to walk in circles if you're not paying attention.

I'm not typically a big fan of live comedy, but the Comedy Theater was hilarious and it's in a cool building in a great area. I'm sure you'll find a flyer for it somewhere. We stumbled out of there into a cool piano bar and had a blast.

Nice athmosphere, great night out - Review of Comedy Theater, Amsterdam, The Netherlands - TripAdvisor

Enjoy your trip!!

U-shaped streets? sounds odd, but ok, thanks for the heads up!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
It's easy to walk in circles if you're not paying attention.
Heh - ain't that the truth.............

especially at night when many things all look the same anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel