Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
@Irfox: Every state in India has it's own language, besides Hindi and English. I am from the eastern state of Orissa, where Oriya is spoken. Similarly, people in Tamil Nadu speak Tamil, though Hindi and English is spoken as well.

Rest of your observations are spot on.
Yes, this is true. I was amazed at how the dialects changed everywhere I went. I was based in Chennai, so Tamil was most common, but it was easy to communicate in English as well (easier than in many European countries I've been to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Ah yes, I forgot about that part of India. I keep thinking jungle book. Even with that said, China is still quite diverse in its own right. China Proper which is basically the eastern half minus Manchuria, is largely, what lots of people consider, a homogenous group called Han chinese. But there is lots of subsets, and dialects within that group. All the regions have something to differentiate itself.
No worries! To be clear, I'm not saying China isn't diverse or even that India is more diverse. I'd imagine that China is incredibly diverse. I haven't seen enough of it to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
I worry about infrastructure in China. Simple things like restrooms. I don't think I'm quite enough of a world traveler to squat over a hole with other people being able to see. Petty and uninformed, possibly. Oh well, those are my impressions...
On an overnight train in India, my car had two bathrooms, a "Western Style" restroom which had the whole toilet setup, and an "Indian Style" restroom which was literally a hole in the floor with the tracks visible below. I can assure you that after one glance at the toilet in the Western Bathroom, the hole in the floor was suddenly incredibly appealing. The toilet was gross. I did a round trip and it was the same story in both segments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
I personally have no desire to visit either place. They both scare the hell out of me, to be quite honest.

EDIT: I actually would like to visit Hong Kong at some point, but I have zero interest in seeing mainland China or the Indian subcontinent.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM

605 posts, read 1,054,181 times
I would love to visit both India and China. They would both be high on my list if I had the money and time for such long-haul travel.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While China is the second most visited nation in the world now after France, it still seems it's taking awhile for it to become a 'destination' to many in Western Europe and North America. This will change, I'm sure, but I'm wondering if it's personally on your travel radar? If you haven't been, do you plan to soon?

India, too, is considered even less. Although not Communist, for some reason main would favour Thailand or Turkey over India.

Personally they are the most populous and culturally speaking most diverse/interesting nations on Earth, both with very long histories, hugely important to human civilization (all those inventions, religions.etc) and will be big players in the years to come.

I've been to China - no way I'd miss it - and really want to visit India soon.

I think what prevents some visiting China is still the Communist government/it can be troublesome getting a visa and also the language barrier. Outside of the overseas tourist trail (Basically Shanghai and surrounds, Beijing, Xian and the Pearl river Delta) it is hard to get around without a translator/English guide without knowing Mandarin.

In India English is a bit more widely known, but people are put off by the fact it's chaotic, dirty and less tourist friendly than the likes of Thailand, Malaysia or Turkey.
Interesting. I was in China and Tibet in 2006, and didn't see too many foreigners. The Germans were probably the largest tourist contingent I saw there. I was in a lot pictures in Western China and Tibet because I was the first 'white guy' they'd seen in a long time, if ever.

I was also a hit with the ladies, being 17 and all. I was a novelty.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
I visited both countries back in 1978 while backpacking my way around the world. Flash forward to 2012, after visiting close to one hundred countries, many of them repeatedly, India remains the only one I left thinking, "I never want to go here again". I have now been to China twice, and may go again this summer, specifically to see Tibet.
India, I'm reconsidering finally, but it was one giant hellhole! No personal space, beggars who would camp outside our budget hotels and follow us for days, horrifying sights, poverty, disease, and more! I've been to lots of poor places but this one remains the benchmark by which I judge all others.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I've made 2 trips to India, before the economy took off like a rocket, 1991 and 1996, and wouldn't care to see the new cleaner, modern India today. I'm glad I saw it when I did!

It's been said that you never go to India without being permanently transformed, in one way or another, and from my 1991 trip, my Catholicism went out the door, and I embraced Tantric Bhuddism/Rajneesh.
Walking the streets of India is like getting a spiritual bath! And if you're spiritually inclined, you'll love it all and all its warts!

I love going to 3rd world countries, because I want to see what my country will look like some day, down the road! Already, I'm seeing some parts of India, Bolivia and El Salvador in my own country!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I been to both. Lived in India for a year, will never make that mistake again, it was a welcome relief to leave that landfill. I have been to many poor countries, and nothing topped the trashiness India displayed.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
Thumbs up re:are China and India on most people's travel radar?

Well frankly speaking it is true china and india r in most peoples travel radar.Both china and india share a great historical significance.Both of the countries posses a great historical artifacts and last but not the least diverse varities of flora and founa....i mean animals and plants.These are the key factors that these two countries are acting as a tourist magnet

Old 10-18-2012, 01:58 PM

32 posts, read 137,395 times
I am from India and it hurts terribly to read the previous posts describing my home country being called a landfill, hellhole....

It is true that India has a lot of poverty, beggars etc - that is why we are labelled a third world country. Most people don't understand the sheer magnitude of a billion people living in one country. It is not like we can do a garage sale and dispose the people who are not productive ... and change is taking place, but it is slow.

India is not for everyone, but still, it is a beautiful country, colorful, with friendly and curious locals, amazing architecture and heritage, great food (just watch your water!), awesome awesome shopping!. And even now, there are places like Kerala, filled with greenery, that you can visit without being molested by beggars or sights of trash etc.

Please remember that we were plundered by imperialist powers for hundreds of years, AND we are a young country, only 65 years old. In contrast, America is 230 years old.
We will get there... give us time!

Here is a link that is pretty on the spot:
India Culture Shock - Tips to Help Avoid India Culture Shock

Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I been to both. Lived in India for a year, will never make that mistake again, it was a welcome relief to leave that landfill. I have been to many poor countries, and nothing topped the trashiness India displayed.
Let's not forget, the U.S. was a 3rd-world country at one time, and we had our own unspeakable trashiness, and myself, I find going to 3rd world countries today as a refreshing change from the sterility of our cities!

As India begins its city sterilization process, like China, you may miss the trashiness some day! At least I will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel