U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,631,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Unrelated:There should be a height requirement for exit row seats. If you're 5'4 you don't need that seat.
I'd agree to that, as I am 6ft 5in

However, more important is that people sitting in an exit row are able to understand how to open the emergency exit in case of an emergency. On my last flight from Havanna to Nassau, a group of 30 Chinese were on board, (including 6 sitting in an exit row) with non of them understanding english announcements. So the crew had to change all of their seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,936,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I have never had this issue. Fly mostly alone.
Is there a certain airline you are flying that is doing this?
It seems to happen most on United.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:06 PM

22,707 posts, read 16,813,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Hey, I spent time and money so I deserve the perks. I'm tall and I want the exit row or a window seat in the bulkhead and I'm going to get it.

Unrelated:There should be a height requirement for exit row seats. If you're 5'4 you don't need that seat.
Or you could book earlier and not pull such a jerk move on someone.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,198,644 times
Quote:
I'm gold on Emirates and United/Star Alliance and I love getting to pick a seat that's already taken since I sometimes wait to the last minute to book a flight.
What's the enjoyment of kicking someone out of their seat due to your status?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 PM

328 posts, read 574,198 times
I'm like a kid on Christmas.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 AM

38,854 posts, read 20,160,149 times
I've never had this issue but maybe it's because I prefer the back of the plane and would NOT want the exit row ....

Old 04-21-2012, 06:11 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
I've never had this issue but maybe it's because I fly mostly Business Class. But even when there has been no BC, I've never it happen.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,257,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I travel frequently and almost always alone. I've noticed in the last year or so that I've had my seat switched on almost half of the flights I've taken. A few times I've even had to receive my assignment at the gate. I'm fed up with it. The gate agents say they want "flexibility" but I feel that I'm being picked on because I'm traveling alone.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anything you can do about it?

In the theater it's illegal to switch a person's seat assignment after s/he has bought a ticket.
On a recent flight from Orlando to Chicago, when I checked-in for the flight the agent told me my seat had been changed to accommodate a family with children who wanted to be seated together. I had an aisle seat near the rear and was moved to an aisle seat closer to the front of the cabin. It was an even trade so I wasn't upset about it.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:52 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Hey, I spent time and money so I deserve the perks. I'm tall and I want the exit row or a window seat in the bulkhead and I'm going to get it.

And you think that I shouldn't be entitled to that exit row seat?

I'm 5'6" and have the highest tier of status on my carrier, so if it were United I'd be able to knock you out of that seat because my 100K+ PQM's trump your 50K PQM's. Gold on Untied isn't all that big a deal, I'll hit the equivalent on my carrier of choice with personal travel alone this year.

And if you were really all that, you'd never be in that exit row or bulkhead, because you'd be upgraded to F all the time, every time like I am.

And frankly I'd love to make sure some ego-laden wannabe road warrior was relegated to 46E on a long haul as an attitude adjustment.

Last edited by annerk; 04-22-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Old 04-22-2012, 05:00 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
OP, your status as a solo traveler has no bearing on when you can choose your seat, be it online at the time of booking or at the airport.

Some carriers only offer seat assignments at the airport, some allow you to choose a seat when you check in 24 hours in advance online, some let you pay to choose a seat at booking, some allow you to choose a seat at booking for free.

Your seat can be changed if there is an equipment change--very common if you book early, it's wise to check that booking and your seat assignment every few weeks if you buy a ticket months in advance.

It can also be changed to accommodate moving people out of an exit row that can't legally sit there.

If you find that your seat has been changed and you don't care for the new seat assignment, nicely ask if there is a different seat. Don't wait until the last minute or the options will be limited. Look online a week out, three days out, and when you check in. That gives you time and ability to snag a better seat or a different seat if yours has been moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or