U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2012, 05:39 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
On a recent flight from Orlando to Chicago, when I checked-in for the flight the agent told me my seat had been changed to accommodate a family with children who wanted to be seated together. I had an aisle seat near the rear and was moved to an aisle seat closer to the front of the cabin. It was an even trade so I wasn't upset about it.
They will definitely try to move you into a better seat if they need to move you. And I've never seen them move someone into a really undesirable seat without speaking to them about it first and offering some sort of perk. A few weeks ago I saw them offer a guy free beers/drinks if he'd give up his aisle seat near the front for a window further back so they could accommodate an elderly lady who would have had a hard time getting in and out of that window seat. I've seen similar situations result in upgrades to F.

The thing I don't understand is why they pre-board people with mobility problems who are in aisle seats so the people in the middle and window need to climb over them because they can't get up to let them in.

Boarding should go like this:

People with kids on paid tickets who will be sitting in car seats that need to be installed, only one parent, one other adult (either the other parent or other adult traveling companion) and other children under the age of 14 to accompany them during early boarding, the rest can get on when their zone is called--no need for the entire extended family to pre-board!

First class, top tier frequent flyers, and military in uniform (including BDU's) traveling on orders or to/from leave.

People with mobility problems in window seats.

Zone 2.

People with kids under four in other zones but like those with car seats, not the entire extended family, just the parent(s) and kid(s).

Zone 3, 4, 5, etc.

People with mobility problems in aisle or middle seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
6,161 posts, read 6,329,541 times
Reputation: 100698
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The thing I don't understand is why they pre-board people with mobility problems who are in aisle seats so the people in the middle and window need to climb over them because they can't get up to let them in.

Boarding should go like this:

People with kids on paid tickets who will be sitting in car seats that need to be installed, only one parent, one other adult (either the other parent or other adult traveling companion) and other children under the age of 14 to accompany them during early boarding, the rest can get on when their zone is called--no need for the entire extended family to pre-board!

First class, top tier frequent flyers, and military in uniform (including BDU's) traveling on orders or to/from leave.

People with mobility problems in window seats.

Zone 2.

People with kids under four in other zones but like those with car seats, not the entire extended family, just the parent(s) and kid(s).

Zone 3, 4, 5, etc.

People with mobility problems in aisle or middle seats.
So, when should a person with mobility problems in an aisle seat who just so happens to also be a top tier frequent flyer be allowed to board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
So, when should a person with mobility problems in an aisle seat who just so happens to also be a top tier frequent flyer be allowed to board?
They should be the last on, however when they identify themselves at the podium there should be overhead space reserved for them if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
6,161 posts, read 6,329,541 times
Reputation: 100698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
So, when should a person with mobility problems in an aisle seat who just so happens to also be a top tier frequent flyer be allowed to board?
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They should be the last on, however when they identify themselves at the podium there should be overhead space reserved for them if needed.
While I understand your reason for suggesting this in order to allow for a more orderly boarding of the aircraft, it will never happen. The airline may offer a passenger with moblity problems seperate boarding, but if the passenger so chooses to board based on zone or elite status, by law the airline must accommendate the passengers request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 02:03 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
While I understand your reason for suggesting this in order to allow for a more orderly boarding of the aircraft, it will never happen. The airline may offer a passenger with moblity problems seperate boarding, but if the passenger so chooses to board based on zone or elite status, by law the airline must accommendate the passengers request.
True, but they also have to realize that if they are in an aisle seat and unable to get up to allow others into the window and middle seat, they are responsible for any injury should someone fall on them trying to get in and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 PM
 
2,382 posts, read 4,506,914 times
Reputation: 3430
It seems to me that several times when I flew a Japanese ariline that boarding was done back to front of plane which was much quicker and more orderly.

I'll admit people have been shuffled for my child and myself. We often accompany my husband when he flys for work. The travel desk at his work books his flight and seat and once he has that information - I call/go online and book for BabyGirl and myself. Although - in fairness - because he flys so much he's Grand Supreme Gold whatever... so to sit with us he's generally mvoing out of his original seat in First Class/Business class/Economy coach and not the other way around. We do also request to move to a three seat row and not be in a two seat row with one of us across the aisle. That allows us to keep our toddler in the middle (to try keep her/us from bothering the passengers around us to the greatest extent possible)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Eastern NC
19,525 posts, read 17,776,450 times
Reputation: 17320
I have had that happen to my wife and me the last 2 ties we flew. One time we were actually splitted, she was assigned the middle of the plane with me at the back. I went to the counter and they corrected the flaw but we still didn''t get our original seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 AM
 
Location: World
3,666 posts, read 3,526,275 times
Reputation: 2484
I travel alone and this happened with me many times. Once at Chicago airport, American airlines announced my name and then at the boarding desk, one agent plainly told me-We are changing your seat as we are adjusting one family together. and I was shifted from window seat in front to an Aisle seat at the back. This has happened with me in Air France, Etihad as well. I like small embraer type flights to small towns, the ones which American Eagle, United Express flies as there is little difference between seats but just imagine 8-9 hours intercontinental flights and your window seat is taken away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM
 
3,646 posts, read 9,635,508 times
Reputation: 5445
I had to fly last minute earlier this month with my daughter for a family emergency. No two seats together were available. The ticket agent told me to speak with the stewardess. She put us in two seats, up front and then rearranged people.

People just like to complain. If they'd been forced to sit next to my child, alone, for the entire flight, they would've been just as miserable.

When my kids were very little and we flew, the ticketing agent couldn't find two seats together twice (dh & one child, me & another). She put the youngest child's name on the single seat. The stewardess helped us strap in her car seat and told us not to worry. The person assigned next to her didn't want to give up their seat, but the stewardess explained she would NOT move the baby (just under 2 yo). Grumbling, they finally relented.

What is the big deal folks? Do you REALLY want to entertain a child you don't know?

The more annoying thing is people trying to cram too big/too many carry ons in the bulkhead. I enjoyed the fact that this last time we flew, they forced more than HALF the passengers to check their oversized carry ons and the stewardess announced that if you had two pieces, one MUST be under the seat in front of you - and she enforced it. I minimize carry ons, don't race off the plane and just wait. It's called patience and maturity. These "me first" folks make me smile... if you're THAT important that waiting for 10 minutes to de-plane will make a huge difference in your life, take an earlier flight! I have no respect for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
6,161 posts, read 6,329,541 times
Reputation: 100698
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
People just like to complain. If they'd been forced to sit next to my child, alone, for the entire flight, they would've been just as miserable.

When my kids were very little and we flew, the ticketing agent couldn't find two seats together twice (dh & one child, me & another). She put the youngest child's name on the single seat. The stewardess helped us strap in her car seat and told us not to worry. The person assigned next to her didn't want to give up their seat, but the stewardess explained she would NOT move the baby (just under 2 yo). Grumbling, they finally relented.

What is the big deal folks? Do you REALLY want to entertain a child you don't know?
What is the big deal? I for one work very hard to get an aisle seat. Many times I have changed my travel dates or sat several hours between connecting flights just so I could get an aisle seat. On more than one occassion I have paid a change fee to change flights or paid to upgrade to first class to get out of a seat I did not want. About the only thing I have never done is demand that the airline move someone else out of their seat to accommandate my request.

As to me entertaining someones unsupervised child on a flight, one of three things will happen.
1. I will simply ignore the child.
2. If it is the devil child I will probably get a free ticket for putting up with it.
3. I will teach the child at least 5 new ways to be really annoying at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top