U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:56 PM

9,083 posts, read 9,531,883 times

Advertisements

Now I'm worried! I am flying alone this weekend, my first time alone.

Is a window seat usually preferred or an aisle? I really prefer the window, so hopefully no one needs to move me! I booked in advance and chose those seats for a reason!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 04:16 PM

6,166 posts, read 6,335,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

Is a window seat usually preferred or an aisle? I really prefer the window, so hopefully no one needs to move me! I booked in advance and chose those seats for a reason!
Odds are you will not get moved from your seat. As to which seats are most preferred I am guessing aisle seats get the nod. When booking my flights I have noticed a slight trend in flights running out of aisle seats first.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 PM

790 posts, read 1,078,701 times
While it is true that buying a ticket does not guarantee you a specific seat on a plane, if you had a reserved seat then it is just poor customer service to move you without your consent...except for in these 3 situations:
  1. If there is an equipment change (which might mean your old seat doesn't even exist on the new equipment)
  2. You are in a bulkhead seat and a passenger with a disability needs to sit there
  3. You are in an emergency exit row and you do not speak/understand English or are otherwise not able to assist in the event of an emergency
All of the other reasons, such as helping a family sit together, should be requested of you...nicely.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 AM

9,083 posts, read 9,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Odds are you will not get moved from your seat. As to which seats are most preferred I am guessing aisle seats get the nod. When booking my flights I have noticed a slight trend in flights running out of aisle seats first.
My flights are usually short, so there is no reason for me to get up. I like to watch out the window the whole time. I'm heading to Vegas and love the part when you can see the strip from the plane!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,104,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

I fly solo a lot for work and I can't think of one instance where I have been moved out of my seat. No worries and enjoy your flight!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,893,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I fly solo a lot for work and I can't think of one instance where I have been moved out of my seat. No worries and enjoy your flight!
Ditto, when using scheduled passeneger service, I often fly on short notice by myself and have never had my seat changed once our travel service booked it. I have had them move others so i can get the seat I want, but I never get moved.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,358,465 times
This happened to us today. I booked flights long ago on points, but booked the two seats separately, since we both had just enough individual points for the flights. Our original seat assignments were together, I phoned to make sure. Today I checked us in for our flight tomorrow, and we're not seated together. Since we're booked in Business, I'm hoping we can switch at the gate.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:31 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I travel alone and this happened with me many times. Once at Chicago airport, American airlines announced my name and then at the boarding desk, one agent plainly told me-We are changing your seat as we are adjusting one family together. and I was shifted from window seat in front to an Aisle seat at the back. This has happened with me in Air France, Etihad as well. I like small embraer type flights to small towns, the ones which American Eagle, United Express flies as there is little difference between seats but just imagine 8-9 hours intercontinental flights and your window seat is taken away.
In my opinion unless you are on a small regional jet where there's actually something to see and you fly low enough to see it, the aisle is far preferable on a longer flight. No need to climb over people to get up, extra room to stretch your legs...

Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
This happened to us today. I booked flights long ago on points, but booked the two seats separately, since we both had just enough individual points for the flights. Our original seat assignments were together, I phoned to make sure. Today I checked us in for our flight tomorrow, and we're not seated together. Since we're booked in Business, I'm hoping we can switch at the gate.
If you can't get it changed at check in, I'd just ask the passengers next to you when you board. I'm always upgraded and they fill the upgrade seats in starting with 1A (BLECH!!!) and I hate both bulkhead and window seats. Usually I go in and change my seat, but sometimes I get busy and forget. I love it when the lady next to me asks if I'd mind trading with her husband who is in 2C.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 PM

3,668 posts, read 3,530,828 times
well in aisle seat, I have to get up twice-once for yourself and second time for your window seat passenger as well. also we see lot of stuff on window seat, I suggest you should try landing at places like Amsterdam, London. Dubai, Bombay where airplanes circle around the city before landing and you get awesome views. at international locations, you are mostly landing at night unlike US where all international flights come in daytime. sitting 9 hours in aisle seat and not getting any view either plus shoddy service of american carriers nowadays(no complimentary alcohol for economy class passengers) makes it more difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In my opinion unless you are on a small regional jet where there's actually something to see and you fly low enough to see it, the aisle is far preferable on a longer flight. No need to climb over people to get up, extra room to stretch your legs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or