U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
well in aisle seat, I have to get up twice-once for yourself and second time for your window seat passenger as well. also we see lot of stuff on window seat, I suggest you should try landing at places like Amsterdam, London. Dubai, Bombay where airplanes circle around the city before landing and you get awesome views. at international locations, you are mostly landing at night unlike US where all international flights come in daytime. sitting 9 hours in aisle seat and not getting any view either plus shoddy service of american carriers nowadays(no complimentary alcohol for economy class passengers) makes it more difficult.
I don't fly economy on long hauls. In fact on my next international flight I'll be in one of the new Envoy Suites on US Airways, I booked a window which is also an aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,523,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't fly economy on long hauls. In fact on my next international flight I'll be in one of the new Envoy Suites on US Airways, I booked a window which is also an aisle.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 AM

66 posts, read 107,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They will definitely try to move you into a better seat if they need to move you.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this. My husband and I have been bumped to worst seats at the very back of the plane a couple of times. However, the worst was when the airline not only put us in farther back seats, but they split us up into different rows on a flight that lasted several hours. I was going to be stuck sandwiched between two strangers while my husband at least had a window seat. Fortunately, we were able to get our foreign speaking seat mates (both female Russians) to switch so we could sit together. They were strangers but obviously had a great time gabbing and getting to know each other during the long flight. So it all worked out....

Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this. My husband and I have been bumped to worst seats at the very back of the plane a couple of times. However, the worst was when the airline not only put us in farther back seats, but they split us up into different rows on a flight that lasted several hours. I was going to be stuck sandwiched between two strangers while my husband at least had a window seat. Fortunately, we were able to get our foreign speaking seat mates (both female Russians) to switch so we could sit together. They were strangers but obviously had a great time gabbing and getting to know each other during the long flight. So it all worked out....
When were you moved? Like I said, if it's at the gate they will try to give you a better seat. If it's in advance because of an equipment change, all bets are off. That's why it's important to monitor your seat assignments periodically.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM

22,750 posts, read 16,836,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I had to fly last minute earlier this month with my daughter for a family emergency. No two seats together were available. The ticket agent told me to speak with the stewardess. She put us in two seats, up front and then rearranged people.

People just like to complain. If they'd been forced to sit next to my child, alone, for the entire flight, they would've been just as miserable.

When my kids were very little and we flew, the ticketing agent couldn't find two seats together twice (dh & one child, me & another). She put the youngest child's name on the single seat. The stewardess helped us strap in her car seat and told us not to worry. The person assigned next to her didn't want to give up their seat, but the stewardess explained she would NOT move the baby (just under 2 yo). Grumbling, they finally relented.

What is the big deal folks? Do you REALLY want to entertain a child you don't know?

The more annoying thing is people trying to cram too big/too many carry ons in the bulkhead. I enjoyed the fact that this last time we flew, they forced more than HALF the passengers to check their oversized carry ons and the stewardess announced that if you had two pieces, one MUST be under the seat in front of you - and she enforced it. I minimize carry ons, don't race off the plane and just wait. It's called patience and maturity. These "me first" folks make me smile... if you're THAT important that waiting for 10 minutes to de-plane will make a huge difference in your life, take an earlier flight! I have no respect for them.
The big deal for me is that I suffer from enough claustrophobia being on the plane in the first place but to be sandwiched in between people, it's everything I can do not to hyper ventilate and freak out. You want someone to freak the hell out on your plane?

The aisle seat gives me a little bit of relief from the claustrophobia and if that means entertaining some child I don't know, THAT IS FINE WITH ME!

I choose the seats for a reason. I book way in advance so I can get the seat I want, for a reason. It's not because I want to look out the window or not have to step over people, it's because I fricken hate flying as it is, the more "free" I feel in that plane, the better off I'm going to be and the better off everyone else will be when I'm not sitting there, non stop fidgeting and panicking.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I had to fly last minute earlier this month with my daughter for a family emergency. No two seats together were available. The ticket agent told me to speak with the stewardess. She put us in two seats, up front and then rearranged people.

People just like to complain. If they'd been forced to sit next to my child, alone, for the entire flight, they would've been just as miserable.

When my kids were very little and we flew, the ticketing agent couldn't find two seats together twice (dh & one child, me & another). She put the youngest child's name on the single seat. The stewardess helped us strap in her car seat and told us not to worry. The person assigned next to her didn't want to give up their seat, but the stewardess explained she would NOT move the baby (just under 2 yo). Grumbling, they finally relented.

What is the big deal folks? Do you REALLY want to entertain a child you don't know?

The more annoying thing is people trying to cram too big/too many carry ons in the bulkhead. I enjoyed the fact that this last time we flew, they forced more than HALF the passengers to check their oversized carry ons and the stewardess announced that if you had two pieces, one MUST be under the seat in front of you - and she enforced it. I minimize carry ons, don't race off the plane and just wait. It's called patience and maturity. These "me first" folks make me smile... if you're THAT important that waiting for 10 minutes to de-plane will make a huge difference in your life, take an earlier flight! I have no respect for them.
The big deal is that often people pay extra for better seats up front, and to be bumped out of those seats or be forced to babysit for the duration of the flight is just wrong, wrong, wrong. If I had paid extra for my premium seat my comment would be I'll keep my seat, and the child can keep theirs, but if you want a babysitter, I charge $50 an hour, payable in advance. If someone has paid extra for a premium seat, they shouldn't be forced out of it for any reason. The FA should have moved you to the last row and moved the people stuck there to the better seats, not the other way around.

And by the way, sometimes that 10 minutes means being on time or late for a metting--and when I'm on the 5:10 am flight, there is no "earlier flight."

Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 PM

9,076 posts, read 9,512,924 times
In case anyone cares (LOL) I went to Veags last week and none of my seats were changed. Hooray!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,082,415 times
Due to mechanical issues, I missed my connection in HNL and my direct flight to IAH left without me. I went from business class to middle seat in coach to LAX and then to IAH.

Me = less than happy. I'm even less happy since UA isn't returning my requests for what they're prepared to do to compensate me.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Due to mechanical issues, I missed my connection in HNL and my direct flight to IAH left without me. I went from business class to middle seat in coach to LAX and then to IAH.

Me = less than happy. I'm even less happy since UA isn't returning my requests for what they're prepared to do to compensate me.
How did you pay for the seats?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:14 PM

5 posts, read 5,762 times
when you purchase your ticket and select your seats, it states, clear as day, that the seats are not guaranteed/subject to reassignment/may be changed day of

people don't read things anymore, they just point and click...you are agreeing to everything you are complaining about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or