U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,715,191 times
Reputation: 1875

Advertisements

All of the following flights were 1 ticket, but 2 segments. Not two separate flights.
I once flew to Europe and the first stop ( point of entry) was in Paris. They did stamp my passport, of course. Then I headed to my final destination and it was not stamped. Another time, my first stop was in the U.K. Of course they stamped it. Then I headed to Germany and they also stamped my passport. So I had 2 stamps. I know the United Kingdom has all kinds of stupid immigration procedures, compared to other E.U. countries. So, because of that, if I'm coming from the U.K., will they stamp my passport a second time? A la "If you want to check everybody's passport, then we will do the same for people coming from there (U.K.)" ? Their way of retaliating, so to speak. Since I'm an American, they will stamp it. I know they don't stamp E.U. passports, but they will look at them ( if my assumption is correct ). Does anybody know?
Sorry, it's a stupid question, but I just love those stamps. LOL. I always ask the USCIS at the airport if they can stamp my passport if they don't do it automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pennsylvania / Dull Germany
2,214 posts, read 2,632,455 times
Reputation: 2090
This has to do with the Schengen agreement. UK is not part of the Schengen agreement, so they will stamp your passport when you enter the Schengen area for the first time. Schengen Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As there is no passport control within the Schengen area - compared to the state borders within the US - you will not get a passport stamp if you fly e.g. from France to Germany. When you come from a non-Schengen country - no matter if this is U.K., USA, Canada or any other country in the world - you will get a stamp. Passports of Schengen-countries are generally only stamped upon request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,715,191 times
Reputation: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
This has to due with the Schengen agreement. UK is not part of the Schengen agreement, so they will stamp your passport when you enter the Schengen area for the first time. Schengen Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As there is no passport control within the Schengen area - compared to the state borders within the US - you will not get a passport stamp if you fly e.g. from France to Germany. When you come from a non-Schengen country - no matter if this is U.K., USA, Canada or any other country in the world - you will get a stamp. Passports of Schengen-countries are generally only stamped upon request.
Alright. I know what Schengen is. But I didn't know that being a non-memebr means you're gonna be the same as any other tourist from whatever part of the world, since they are a member of the E.U.
I'm not sure if they stamp "upon request". I don't recall seeing any controls. There was nobody there. I want to say they did stamp and checked my passport one time even though the U.K. was not the POE.

Edit: I was faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pennsylvania / Dull Germany
2,214 posts, read 2,632,455 times
Reputation: 2090
Quote:
I'm not sure if they stamp "upon request". I don't recall seeing any controls
Sorry, what I meant is not that they stamp upon request while travelling within the Schengen area, but also Schengen passports may be stamped upon request when entering the Schengen area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM
 
1,203 posts, read 1,447,739 times
Reputation: 1178
I've found stamping of my passport to be somewhat inconsistent in the EU. Yes they USUALLY stamp on the way in and out of the EU...but not always. At least that's been my experience the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
37,991 posts, read 55,756,232 times
Reputation: 89707
You get your passport stamped in the a destination airport ( remember there are two lines: for EU members with EU passports, and for the "others").
When you travel within Schengen area you might see someone actually manning the border, and that person might or might not stop you , and might or might not stamp your passport. Sometimes, when I cross the border I see someone there who just wave me through, and few days late when I cross the same border again, no one is there The stamps in my passport do not make much sense.
On the funny site: when I was in Berlin by the Berliner Wall, I asked for an old stamp from former East Germany. When I came back, the border control officer at the US airport saw it and asked me how is life in East Germany
When I told him that's just a fun stamp, and East Germany does not exist anymore, he thought it was cool to have such stamp on my passport...
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,824,973 times
Reputation: 11318
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You get your passport stamped in the a destination airport ( remember there are two lines: for EU members with EU passports, and for the "others").
When you travel within Schengen area you might see someone actually manning the border, and that person might or might not stop you , and might or might not stamp your passport. Sometimes, when I cross the border I see someone there who just wave me through, and few days late when I cross the same border again, no one is there The stamps in my passport do not make much sense.
On the funny site: when I was in Berlin by the Berliner Wall, I asked for an old stamp from former East Germany. When I came back, the border control officer at the US airport saw it and asked me how is life in East Germany
When I told him that's just a fun stamp, and East Germany does not exist anymore, he thought it was cool to have such stamp on my passport...
I'm in Berlin often enough that I think I'll try that, elnina.
I get all sorts of strange stamps from Eastern Europe. Sometimes I have to ask for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pennsylvania / Dull Germany
2,214 posts, read 2,632,455 times
Reputation: 2090
Quote:
When you travel within Schengen area you might see someone actually manning the border, and that person might or might not stop you , and might or might not stamp your passport. Sometimes, when I cross the border I see someone there who just wave me through, and few days late when I cross the same border again, no one is there The stamps in my passport do not make much sense.
Hmm I cross the border between Germany and the Netherlands about twice a week when I am back home, but haven't seen anybody standing there for years.

Within the Schengen area, there are simply no border controls at airports, as this is treated as a domestic flight. Once you are inside the terminal, people can not see if you are coming from inside the country or any other Schengen country.

What I found interesting: The last times a went from the US to Canada by car, sometimes I got a stamp, sometimes I did not. Canadian border patrol in Niagara Falls stamped my passport, but Bellingham did not. Strange

I also recently experienced that Cuba never stamps your passport (as US citizen might get into trouble) but only stamp your tourist card. Are there any other countries to do so? North Korea perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,126 posts, read 17,137,876 times
Reputation: 9980
I've Found more and more, they just scan my passport, Never stamp it.

They swipe the OCR on the bottom, quick look at the picture, and at there computer screen. Hand it back, and give a have nice day. And I'm off.

My Son on the other hand, loves to get his stamped, and they alway do. When he asks for the stamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,585 posts, read 11,074,156 times
Reputation: 10295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Hmm I cross the border between Germany and the Netherlands about twice a week when I am back home, but haven't seen anybody standing there for years.

Within the Schengen area, there are simply no border controls at airports, as this is treated as a domestic flight. Once you are inside the terminal, people can not see if you are coming from inside the country or any other Schengen country.

What I found interesting: The last times a went from the US to Canada by car, sometimes I got a stamp, sometimes I did not. Canadian border patrol in Niagara Falls stamped my passport, but Bellingham did not. Strange

I also recently experienced that Cuba never stamps your passport (as US citizen might get into trouble) but only stamp your tourist card. Are there any other countries to do so? North Korea perhaps?
Israel will stamp a card for you. Your passport is useless to go to an Arab country if it has an Israeli stamp in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top