U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 521,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
This.

I'm sorry , OP , but I find your desire somewhat distasteful. There is something kinda goulish about wating to go to "experience" abject povery and misery.

ETA - Part of my feeling are as a former member of the military/married to and have many, many friends & family members in the military - I hate it when I read a story in the paper or hear of someone being deployed to "rescue" Americans from places they had no business being in the first place. (Tourists, not people who are ther to actually help rather than gawk)
No worries, I support your right to express yourself but I can assure you that your generalization is far off base.

And even if I were to go simply to experience poverty, the sense of dignity and humanity is restore within these individuals when someone actually listens to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 521,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You know, the Army will pay you to go to places like that. And, you can learn all you want to learn bout conflict and war.
Or I can pay with my hard earned money and not have my ideologies dictated to me.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:42 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,816,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
This is on a more personal level than simply being a war tourist. There was Chechen immigrant who lived a in my subdivision. He lived with his son and her wife. Outside of my dad, this man has been the most influential person within my upbringing. He died from complication stemming from the conflicts prior to him immigrating.

Its far more crucial that I travel here than you, or anyone else could ever imagine.
Crucial that you visit? Really?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,157,720 times
Quote:
This is on a more personal level than simply being a war tourist. There was Chechen immigrant who lived a in my subdivision. He lived with his son and her wife. Outside of my dad, this man has been the most influential person within my upbringing. He died from complication stemming from the conflicts prior to him immigrating.

Its far more crucial that I travel here than you, or anyone else could ever imagine.
I can see why this is important to you as I've also lost several people who made a huge impact in my life. You may wish to ask yourself if your Chechen immigrant friend would have been alive today, would he have wanted you to make this unsafe journey ... Something tells me that he probably would not want you to expose yourself to the risks and hazards of traveling to his homeland - a land that he was able to escape to live in America.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,499,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I can see why this is important to you as I've also lost several people who made a huge impact in my life. You may wish to ask yourself if your Chechen immigrant friend would have been alive today, would he have wanted you to make this unsafe journey ... Something tells me that he probably would not want you to expose yourself to the risks and hazards of traveling to his homeland - a land that he was able to escape to live in America.
I would agree that your desire makes a little more sense now but I would also have to agree with the above poster. I think that there are better ways to honor his memory - I know that many organizations (in the States) are always looking for people to help recent arrivals to this country ( language teachers etc.)

Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Go to Turkey. When you get there, ask other travelers who have just come from there. It's easy to cross from Turkey into Georgia. And probably fairly easy to Armenia and Azerbaijan, too, but I haven't checked lately. Then just play it by ear and see how far you can get. As the Russian land border is closed, you can take a Black Sea boat crossing, maybe from Trabzon, Turkey.

According to recent information, no visa is required to enter Georgia from Turkey, and visas to Armenia and Azerbaijan can be arranged in Georgia, or in Ankara on the way through Turkey. Land borders are open among all those countries, but not to Russia.

I wouldn't worry about any civil unrest or war, if there is anything dangerous going down, there won't be any way to get there, or at least you'll be warned.

Even if Georgia is as far as you can get, it will still be well worth the trip. www.lonelyplanet.com is usually a pretty reliable source of up-to-date information.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-24-2012 at 01:00 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,350,632 times
Lonely Planet is reliable? I hope you're not referencing the Thorn Tree forums?

More wankers on one place of the internet cannot be imagined.

Lonely Planet is for 19 year old gap year kids who want to get drunk in Prague. Thoroughly useless.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
My interest are merely for my own information gathering and to actually learn first hand of the history and strife. Living in the states detaches us from many harsh realities and I'd simply like to know for myself whats happening.
An odd interest, I'm thinking. But, there's no need to leave the USA. You can move to the Englewood neighborhood on Chicago's south side, or to Laundale or Austin on the west side. Or, to the Little Village hispanic colonia on the southside. After dark these areas become war zones. Many dead and wounded. Other crimes, also. Gangs. Weapons. Drive-by shootings. Want to experience the "harsh realities"? Let me know, and I'll point you in the right direction.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Lonely Planet is for 19 year old gap year kids who want to get drunk in Prague. Thoroughly useless.
No, not the Thorn Tree. The basic data on visas, border crossings, etc. is kept fairly up to date.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:36 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,816,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Your opinion.
I've traveled the world with Lonely Planet and I travel Europe weekly.

I'm no 19 year old looking to get drunk.

You don't like a guide book, big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel