U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM

72,105 posts, read 83,768,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Last year I went to Vegas for the first time, and scheduled it at the same time a friend was going to be there. She used a travel agent I did not. She kept trying to tell me to call her TA, but I was having too much fun on my own researching flights and hotels. SHe kept warning me that if I used a service like Expedia my flight would get changed a bunch and I would over pay.

Here is what really happened...

My trip was 1 night longer and I ended up paying almost $200 less for my hotel/flight package. My flights were shorter, and none of my flights got changed...but hers did. A week before she was to leave, her flight home got moved to 6 AM. (leave for the airport at 4 AM ugh!) Also, the TA booked her on an airline (Delta I think) that flew her to Memphis, then to Vegas (we are in Des Moines). So, her travel time was longer as well. (I flew to Denver, then Vegas which makes much more sense) I am heading to Vegas again this weekend, and booked myself and got a good deal again.

That being said, I know that was a pretty easy trip to plan. A TA could be helpful if someone is planning a long vacation with lots of different destinations. A couple I am friends with took 9 months and travelled the world. (from England to China, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii, then accross the US before heading home) They used a TA to coordinate everything.

If I ever took a complicated trip, though, I don't know if I would use a TA. I enjoy the research.
probably got a better deal because of the days you were flying, but yes, simple trips, it is a toss up, anything where you are dealing with other countries or island hopping an agent will be a geat asset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 AM

9,083 posts, read 9,529,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
probably got a better deal because of the days you were flying, but yes, simple trips, it is a toss up, anything where you are dealing with other countries or island hopping an agent will be a geat asset.
We were flying the same day as the one who used the TA, we both flew out on Saturday. The only difference was they went home Wed and we went home Thurs.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 AM

72,105 posts, read 83,768,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
We were flying the same day as the one who used the TA, we both flew out on Saturday. The only difference was they went home Wed and we went home Thurs.
Very interesting; I will say, just one thing, the Thursday departure from Vegas is one of the heaviest days. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. Heavy Vegas days: Arrivals Fri and Sun: Departures, Sun and Thursdays.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 AM

9,083 posts, read 9,529,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Very interesting; I will say, just one thing, the Thursday departure from Vegas is one of the heaviest days. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. Heavy Vegas days: Arrivals Fri and Sun: Departures, Sun and Thursdays.
We had no issues leaving Thurs. Short lines at security even!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or