Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

In her defense, it's possible that she awoke on a dark plane and was very disoriented. That said, it shouldn't have taken her four hours to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa
Here's what happens when the FA does not wake them up...

Passenger who was locked in empty plane sues airlines - CNN
Actually she should get something out of it. The FA's are supposed to verify that all passengers have left the plane before they do. If the FA's have the minute or two to walk up the aisles looking for garbage, then they should've taken the same minute or two to walk the planes aisles.

Quote:
That flight uses a Embraer 145 jet, so it probably was staffed by only one flight attendant. For whatever reason, the crew left the airplane without making sure all passengers had gotten off.[/left][/left]

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/05/airline-lets-sleeping-passenge.html

She probably ended up with a stack of travel vouchers.

So lets gets a reality check here. Airline staff does not care about passengers. Period. They do the bare minimum required of them and sometimes even less if they think they can get away with it.

I can give two scenerios that I've gone through. First one was I was on the second to last leg of a 22 hour flight and I took my time getting off the plane (I walked past the cockpit and there was no staff to say goodbye). Walked down a plank and the door was closed. Opened that door and continued through another plank and its door was also closed. Opened the door and alarms rang all over the place. Walked through and absolulty no staff near the gate. Within a few minutes I was surrounded by staff and airport police. Pulled out by boarding pass and the police were in simple awe of the stupidity of the airline. The police actually drove me to my next flight. The Airline gave me such a stack of vouchers that it took me and numerous family/friends two years to finally use them up. My second one is my flight got into the airport 25 minutes late (BTW both these situation happened in Atlanta under Delta), so I had 15 minutes to make my connection. It took me about 10 minutes to get to my connection (I don't check luggage for short business flights), but I got to the gate and they would not let me board. While I explained my flight, on the same airline, ran late they closed the door and allowed the plane to leave. There were no further flights out to my next, and final destination, with any airline that night. I spent the next 10 hours in a trashy hotel supplied by Delta. And of course another stack of vouchers. But even with these incidents, they are a small percentage of the problems a I still fly a majority of my flights with them. When you fly enough you learn to set your expectations pretty low for FA's (in the US only) and TSA.

I've gotten to the point that I no longer need airline miles to get free tickets or upgrades, I've got vouchers.

As to the guy in #1, best guess he was either filled with liquor or pills that they couldn't wake him up with the simple shoulder shake. So it was either going to be a loud scream or a tap with a magazine on either his arm or his leg.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,909 times
It is possible they had to tap him with the magazine if the airline has rules against physically touching someone.

As for the lady locked on the plane, the airline owes her big time. My wife drives a school bus and is required to walk the bus at the end of each shift to make sure nobody is still on the bus. Airlines should have the same policy.

Last edited by LongtimeBravesFan; 04-30-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
...the flight attendant struck him on the knee to wake him up, The Indianapolis Star reported Monday.
Oh, my. I hope he wasn't hurt.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Actually she should get something out of it. The FA's are supposed to verify that all passengers have left the plane before they do. If the FA's have the minute or two to walk up the aisles looking for garbage, then they should've taken the same minute or two to walk the planes aisles.

[LEFT]
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/05/airline-lets-sleeping-passenge.html

She probably ended up with a stack of travel vouchers.

So lets gets a reality check here. Airline staff does not care about passengers. Period. They do the bare minimum required of them and sometimes even less if they think they can get away with it.

I can give two scenerios that I've gone through. First one was I was on the second to last leg of a 22 hour flight and I took my time getting off the plane (I walked past the cockpit and there was no staff to say goodbye). Walked down a plank and the door was closed. Opened that door and continued through another plank and its door was also closed. Opened the door and alarms rang all over the place. Walked through and absolulty no staff near the gate. Within a few minutes I was surrounded by staff and airport police. Pulled out by boarding pass and the police were in simple awe of the stupidity of the airline. The police actually drove me to my next flight. The Airline gave me such a stack of vouchers that it took me and numerous family/friends two years to finally use them up. My second one is my flight got into the airport 25 minutes late (BTW both these situation happened in Atlanta under Delta), so I had 15 minutes to make my connection. It took me about 10 minutes to get to my connection (I don't check luggage for short business flights), but I got to the gate and they would not let me board. While I explained my flight, on the same airline, ran late they closed the door and allowed the plane to leave. There were no further flights out to my next, and final destination, with any airline that night. I spent the next 10 hours in a trashy hotel supplied by Delta. And of course another stack of vouchers. But even with these incidents, they are a small percentage of the problems a I still fly a majority of my flights with them. When you fly enough you learn to set your expectations pretty low for FA's (in the US only) and TSA.

I've gotten to the point that I no longer need airline miles to get free tickets or upgrades, I've got vouchers.

As to the guy in #1, best guess he was either filled with liquor or pills that they couldn't wake him up with the simple shoulder shake. So it was either going to be a loud scream or a tap with a magazine on either his arm or his leg.

[/LEFT]
Management has got airlines so understaffed now, I find it's a combination of not enough employees or expecting too much out of the ones you have. 30 min or less plane swaps, agents and ground crew working not 2 or 3 gates now but 5 or 6 combined with a low pay rate, combined with management putting employees on the front lines completely oblivious to what their policies are doing to their customers, and in turn, their employees. Couple that with old ground equipment that doesn't work, causing undue frustration on the employees part as well, often resulting in delays, angering the customers...cycle continues.

Asking/forcing pay cuts, while management takes bonuses does nothing for morale. Northwest Airlines management actually put out a long list of "helpful hints" that encouraged those facing hard times due to the pay cuts to go dumpster diving! No I am not making this up. Their is no money in the airlines therefore morale will remain low. Benefits used to make up for the low pay but with loads now at 90% not 60%, you can't really non-rev anywhere on vacation or for personal travel.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 AM

38 posts, read 60,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Too bad she didn't listen to the briefing at the beginning of the flight.

Few people do! I must say I make an effort to..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel